Great DR1 Reunion in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just back from one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a very long time. Jazzcom is to be commended for bringing us together. Many of the people I have "met" on the board I now know as people, and a few lurkers who I hope will now start posting were also there.

To give you an idea of what a great group of frequent posters came together tonight: Maine Girl, mainer and mr. mainer, JanH, Hillbilly, Jan, Trina, Chris, Robert, AZB, BushBaby, KenosaChris, jazzcom, Cliff. The list is not complete; I'm sure others will be adding more names.

It was a lot of fun; I hope it will be repeated. And next time I hope at least some of those who were unable to be at the party will join in the fun.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sure was great to meet all the folks - Thanks Jazzcom - and add Amber to the list - and Jan, never got around to saying hi to you - next time I'm sure!

Big question of the evening!? Where in the World is Johnny Honda!

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Jealousy

I am glad to hear that this reunion was

so enjoyable. I hope to attend one of

these soon.

All the best,

JD

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Morning After

I'm still here in Sosua on tis sunny day after..
It was a good time jst wish there was more time to talk and get to know everyone.
All the humans were great! Just too bad most there were'nt guite human!! jejej
Dinner was good. Conversation was good. Presidente was good. After at Eddys was good. The joke telling sesion this night wasn't as good as the night before..HINT..don't get AZB started. He never stops. And I thought I talked alot!!
But had a great time. Thanks all for making it a great time!!
Oh yea..Johnny Honda...your a POOP!!!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
The Mainers had a great time. I agree with Jan that there just didn't seem to be enough time to talk to everyone. Maybe next time we can stay a little longer and enjoy the after the party, party. I'll have to take a nap first, though

Yes, we were looking for you, Johnny Honda

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan and I said hello and goodby, but I never did get a chance to talk at length with her. Of course, she knew I was there with my wife. I noticed she concentrated mainly on the single guys.

jan2

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 20, 2003
lots of cheating???

I'm new to these boards and from what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of infidelity. Jan and Ken? Several that I've seen make references to the spouses not knowing things. Is this usual for the board or DR.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The truth is these meeting are just a front for a cheat-on-your-spouse get together. Wanna join? Just joking, have never seen any "naughty" stuff going on. Just a bunch of friends having a good time. Now will you join?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jan2 said:
.........and from what I've seen, there seems to be a lot of infidelity. Several that I've seen make references to the spouses not knowing things. Is this usual for the board or DR.

A lot of kidding goes on between regulars on this board. Don't read anything into it. Too bad you weren't able to attend the get together in Sosua last night, you would have found us a friendly, good natured, sensible group,

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Jan making up to Ken???? No-way, she sat on MY lap a couple of times so I thought she was making up to ME!! Then again, she was also seen in the corner a few times with other guys........ Ah well, it was a good evening anyway.

I took along MaineGirl (AND she came back with me!!) as well as the "Soon to be living here" Caribee (Lloyd). I introduced them to a couple of people & then they went off & did their own thing .... everyone seemed to mingle very well & I even heard a couple of sensible conversations going on - soon put a stop to that though!

Yea - Thanks for the hard work Jazz!! Thanks also to Ted who worked his butt off all night egtting us drinks & food & to the boss of the establishment - Mark. I hope you made SOME profit out of us!!

Welcome to the newbies & lurkers who attended - don't be shy now to contribute to our need for all the dirt you can spread on fellow contributors.

I think JazzCom was right about Johnny H .... got worried about having to buy me a few Brandies & cried off with a lost wallet or something!! - Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lots of fun!!!

Thanks to Jazzcom for putting it together and Marco the host, both did a great job. What can I say? Great evening with a bunch a of great people!!

T

TiberiusMineola

Great Time. Suggestions!!

I attended, enjoyed myself greatly, & met some very interesting people. Food for thought: Jazzcom might head a small committe, to spread the work around; it would be nice if everyone wore name tags, to make us Newbies feel more comfortable. a short, informal, program - essentailly everyone getting up, intoducing him/her self & giving a 25 word background speech [in English] woud be nice; again, for we Newbies. I'm glad Jazzcom took the initiative. I hope this trend continues. My congratulations; right on; more of the same. Thank you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the good wishes but I have to confess I had a better time than the rest of you all. Not only did we have all the people that were able to make it but we had a group of expats from Sosua join in on the fun.

The food was great considering we strained their abilities with our massive numbers and the fact that two servers didn't show up for work. Marco, Ted, Milka and her sister, Julie, and the rest of the people that work at Rockys did a Fabulous job.

We had to be between 50 and 60 people and everyone I chatted with had a nice time. On the few nights before the big get together we had a few mini dinners as people started rolling into town. I enjoyed every minute of the weekend and want to thank everyone that made the effort to come and meet the rest of us.

We had people come from Cabrera, Nagua, Santo Domingo, Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Santiago and from other parts of the country and that is what makes it such a nice gathering.

While I have met most of the people at other gatherings I have put together this was the biggest and most successful of all. Congrats to every one of you!

Trina just walked in the internet cafe I am in with her child. What a great place.

Regards,
Escott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
EVENING FROM HEAVEN; NIGHT FROM HELL(Long post warning)

The Hillbilly decided to take his bi-monthly bath and shaved a bit, got all smelly with "oh de MY GOD!" smelly stuff. Brushed his teeth, gassed up the mobile, the nice one, and got his butt to Sosua in timely fashion.

Early, as a matter of fact. Did not recognize the Mainers!..She is looking great, less worry around the eyes and he is nicely tanned and fit. Looks like the move is agreeing with them. Met Jazzcom, who is neither ugly, fat or obnoxious, as well as too many other people.

I feel like a squeezed sponge! I can't remember everone I met...
Some very intresting folks that i did not get to chat with, others that I probably talked to overly much.

shadley! man what a thing you got going for you!. Lloyd, good thinking, take it slow. Ricardo!. What a nice daughter and good taste in cigars.. Rob, always good to find out what is up in the big world. John, glad you like the dentist!!, Jan, thanks for letting me get---well, you know where!! JanH. Looking forward to your visit to Santiago. Chris, I'll get the number this week for you...
Graham, looking fine. Tell you what. We play and I'll pay?

Maine Girl: My goodness you are precious!....Very good to see you, and I will be here this week. Trina: Ohhhh for a cold night in Constanza with you around!!, Sorry Angel, but you have a prize there! Many thanks for the maple syrup and maple butter. Maybe we can plan a breakfast?

Tiberious: didn't get to chat, sorry...AZB...nice friend! Nuf said!!!!!!!! Ken, it was good to see you after all this time. Man you are looking good, under the very stern looks of your very nice wife! HEHEHE...

Drinks were good, but that place was not equipped for eating, sorry to say. Everything I heard was good about the food, but all I got was some salad, after four hours....Great meeting atmosphere, however. I'll go back and eat there sometime..

All in all a wonderful evening. But the trouble started when I took off at about 10 p.m. It was raining, HARD!

As I got to the turn-off for the Carretera Turistica Luperon, I noticed a ton of run-off coming down into the road, like a scene from REAL TV or a picture on the front page of the Phoenix Sun...

I edged around the torrent and went down about 100 yards towards a little bridge. Bridge? What bridge? The torrent was up to the second rail of the bridge and all I could hear were the rocks being carried by the water banging agains the underside of the car. S L O W L Y , I backed up to where I could turn around and take the alternate route, via the tunnel, back to Santiago. the uphill road to Star Hills was awash and the down hill into the Playa Grande Area was covered in rocks: Basketball, volleyball and softball sized rocks! Damn! I spent 45 minutes from Sosua to Tim Hall's Cafe Cito, where I got a soaking going from the car to the restaurant. Good to see Tim enjoying a good cigar. I borrowed his phone and called in. Told Mrs. HB that I would be later than expected. Took the highway out of POP and NOT ONE FREAKING DROP OF RAIN!! Dry as a bone....hustled back at 120 km/hr only to drive into the darkness of a Brownout?? WTF??

Mrs. HB sitting outside the house: "Honey? The lights dimmed out just after you called and look at the house."

Sure nuf! Obviously, a loose connection somewhere, but just in our little section ( like 100 houses?). The other side of the street had all the lights in the world. Went to EDE Norte to report it and they told me to call 1-200-1111 and report it. So I did and they asked me for my CONTRACT NUMBER? I asked them how I could find my contract in a darkend out house at 12 midnight. They said no number no report....Fortunately, enough of the other people called in...I guess someone did have their contract number handy.

Long story short, the lights were fixed at 11 this morning after 12 hours of frustration and a night without sleep.

HB

Edited to try and make some sense???

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Glad to hear you had a good time, folks.

Now - the photos! In this digital age I would have expected them to be up by now.

Chiri

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I am with the Jersey Devil------I am jealous! I would have loved to have joined all of you. It sounds like everyone had a great time. Well, God willing, I will some day be able to join one of these DR parties. Until then, I will live vicariously through the party threads.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am VERY sorry I missed it. I tried like heck to get back down there in time, but am stuck doing some work up here in NY.

I would have loved getting to Sosua a second time and my novia has never been. I even looked into flying into POP and having her meet me, but I need to stick around NY for another week or so.

Sounds like a great gang to hang out with. I sure hope I can make the next one!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sorry for your almost disasterous trip home Hillbilly - We saw the evidence driving back to Cabarete - driving in to our winding, steep mountain road, branches all over, little rivier jumped its banks - must have been a doozy of a storm out here when we were out enjoying ourselves.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chiri, I am a big old dope. Brought the good old Sony digital camera but not the usb cord needed to transfer. If I find someone in town with a HP printer that will take the memory card I will upload it to Robert and then throw his ass on the Bus back to S. D. if of course I can lift his fat ass assuming he is not in agreement of course so he can make the trip back to do his job.

Whew... Sorry you couldnt or didn't make it. You would have enjoyed yourself. I know that AZB was at the front door waiting to see if you would make it but alas you didn't! I did send your kindest to him though. You ought to ask him about backbreaking. That was one conversation that I missed but was sorry to only hear about the next day.

I did get one good pic of 50 maniacs that I will upload to Robert next week when I get back to NY. Robert can usually get a pic up in about 3 weeks time so be patient:)

Escott

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Wow!

Great job Jazz and Mark!!! I must sing some praises to the ribs!! WTG Rocky?s!! And the company was even better!!!
I had a great time both before, during and after the reunion!
Still lol.. Jan! you are something else!! A big Thanks to Eddy and wife for having such a great place and making me feel at home:) Loved both the condos and the bar! Say hi to Bianca for me.
So many wonderful people and so little time... We need to do this more often! I even volunteer to help out so Jazz and Mark don?t get stuck with so much work...
I also think we should have worn name tags..
Bottom line is I had a great time!!!
Thanks again!

:cool:
Amber