Cost Of Living And Teachers Salary

vandygirl03

Apr 20, 2003
hello,
i may be moving to the dominican republic. i was trying to get some infomation on the current cost of living for a couple, no kids. and i was also looking for some information of the average salaries of teachers at bilingual schools.
thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would recommend that you do lots of homework up there (Vanderbilt?)

Go to job fairs. Look at this site:www.iss.edu. Get a job while you are in the states, not here.

Look at which schools here are accredited by the Southern Association.

You will have to live in Santo Domingo Santiago, Sosua or La Romana, since they are the only places with schools that could pay you a salary more or less decent.

HB

kris

Apr 26, 2002
You also might want to check smaller communities ie Juan Dolio, there is a large population of English speaking families that are in need of teachers for various grades. There is only one private "school" in the town. I do know a few families have gone in together and hired a teacher to teach their children collectively. Might be something you could work out..... definitely need to network.

Schooling has been the only thing that has held us up from moving to Juan Dolio from the states.

Good Luck, we just returned from there and it is absolutely beautiful.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I feel for Kris and his family

I must insist that you do your homework. Only the four cities that I mentioned have the institutions in place that can pay you a living wage. I can't see people in Juan Dolio getting way over RD$1/2 mil (RD$500,000+) for one teacher....How? Not realistic to even think it would happen.

Do research, go to job fares. A friend of mine got a nice job here, loved her two years at Carol Morgan, moved on to an even better job in Malasia!!

Use your head.

HB