Hotel El Magnifico in Cabarete?

christinab

Feb 19, 2003
My husband, 20 month daughter and I are planning a short stay in Cabarete in 3 weeks. I discovered the seemingly newish Hotel/Condo El Magnifico on the web and it looks wonderful and definitely more spacious than the Villa Taina rooms (which is our other top choice, along with Cita del Sol), with a kitchen. Since it's new, I can't seem to find any reviews on any of the major "resort review" websites, including Debbie's and this one. Has anyone either visited or stayed at the El Magnifico? Is construction complete? Is it worth the money (77-86 for a large suite, including taxes)? Is the place staffed like a hotel or more like a condo complex?
Any reviews or advice would be appreciated. I was hoping to reserve this week for our May 11-14 stay.

Thanks!
Christina

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm a little stumped as I have not seen this hotel - It defnitely is not on the main drag. Let me have the website and maybe the visual of the hotel rings a bell. I'll see if I know it.

Cita Del Sol is a fine place to stay and so is Villa Taino.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, what do you know! I have seen this from the beach side but can tell you nothing about it - seems clean from the outside.

You're just staying for a very short time, so, if you're not on a budget, go, try it out, and tell us about it. It really is not 5 minutes walk from the action, more like 20 - but a really nice walk it is by the beach side. The prices seem high for this area though.

The other option is to take the tried and tested route, Cita Del Sol or Villa Taino. We've stayed at Cita Del Sol with my granddaughter of around the same age and found it spacious enough and the staff really willing to go a distance. The walk to town and the beach from both Cita Del Sol and Villa Taino is very short, especially with an active toddler.

If I find someone that knows about El Magnifico in the next day or so, I'll send you a note.

christinab

Feb 19, 2003
thanks and cabarete excursions

Chris,

Glad to know it at least exists!! I will definitely check it out and report back. Agree that it's best to go the tried and true route - Cita del Sol or Villa Taina - and to be a bit closer to the beach. I had a feeling they were exaggerating with the "five minute walk" thing - just from looking at the map. Great to know you've been to Cabarete with an active toddler, and that Cita DS was so helpful. Villa Taina has offered a crib and babysitters, both of which mean a lot - my husband and I would love to try a horsebackriding excursion for an afternoon if the babysitters are reliable in Cabarete).

If El Magnifico looks as good in real life as it does on the website, we might try it on our way back from Samana/Las Galeras, as a last stop before flying back to Virginia from PP.

Thanks again! If anyone else has experienced El Magnifico or has advice on what to do as a 1/2 day excursion in/from Cabarete/Sosua, please let me know!! This site is so wonderful.

Christina

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Hotel Magnifico is a beautiful hotel run by a charming french couple. It is located two streets off the "main drag" i.e. quiet and tranquillo but close walk to town for restaurants/bars/nightlife/windsurfing.

Especially nice are the new phase IV and V condos. They are oceanfront. I put many clients into them and have always had rave reviews. Ditto for the "older" phases which are further set back with a garden or peek a boo ocean views.

Enjoy your stay there!

Marina
Kitexcite Kitesurfing Center
Cabarete

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
El Magnifico

I visited El Magnifico and it is a very nice hotel. There is no many rooms but it is beautiful. It is 5 minutes from the action and not 20 like someone else said. It is very well kept and the owner is taking care of the properties. I recommend it.

Have a nice trip.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Don't know anything about it but...

You can get a one bedroom apartment in Villa Chessa in Sosua for 35- a night. Pool, close to a small beach that has some surf, beautifully kept and landscaped. They will go out of their way to help you with baby sitters for sure. It is on the Cabarete outskirts of town and it is quiet. No motoconcho or fruit/vegetable vendor NOISE. I will email Robert a picture to post here. I stay there all the time. You can get a car for 168 a week from National car rental. Car and 1 bedroom apartment with 2 full baths balcony, kitchen for 65 a night and it doesn't matter if you are close cause you can afford the car and still have extra bucks. It sure beats 77-86 IMHO.

My buddy Nikko works at Cita Del Sol. I can get you his email if that is a help. He works the front desk there.

Good luck! I spend lots of time in Cabarete but stay in Sosua. Only ten minutes by car.

Scott

christinab

Feb 19, 2003
rental car

Thanks, Jazzcom. I had heard renting a car was a lot more than 168/week. Should I reserve from the U.S. or can I just do it in Sosua? I've been worrying about the hassle of taking a bus or guagua from Cabarete/Sosua to and around Samana, especially with a toddler. A car would make more sense - if only my husband hadn't read somewhere that it's dangerous to drive in the D.R.!! I'm sure if it's affordable, I'll be able to convince him! Thanks for any rental advice/info. Christina

Ch

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
you might also want to consider hiring a taxi driver for your visit over to Samana. Clients of mine hired a driver for 3 days for around $150US. Kind of nice....

also, regarding private driving, one just has to be a defensive driver here! I usually suggest that people don't drive at night because of the drunk drivers and people who don't drive with lights, etc...

Marina
Cabarete

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
defensive driving??

one just has to be a defensive driver here!--MARINA

If you subscribe to this theory then I suggest you dont get into a car with jazzcom behind the wheel....and if you do make sure you have a light breakfast.haha
Larry

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hotel Magnifico

Hello to all here,

I am new to this forum and like to introduce myself.
I am a tour operator and have been dealing with the Caribbean since 1986 and I have lived in Sosua for over 6 month, so I know the area quite well.

I do know the Hotel Magnifico very well, as we sent many clients there for the past few years and everyone so far loved the property and had a great time.

Their Penthouse suite is breathtaking and if you like to book the property or any other in DR, as tour operators we offer discounted rates that are posted on our website :

http://www.sunnyvillaholidays.com for a week stays and longer or we have many specials from time to time.

Hope to hear from all of you and nice to meet you all
:cool: