Disabled assistance

Blvdbar

Apr 22, 2003
I plan to move to Santo Domingo, but I would like to find out if there are any reputable centers that provide assistance and rehab services to quadriplegics, if there are can you please post it, I planned on going to cuba for treatment, but would appreciate not having to go there everytime for surgery. Also are there places that will install a wheelchair lift on a van(that would be bought in DR) or should I just import a completed van from florida?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have you been here before?

Do you know what you are getting into here?Health Care is pretty far down the list of reasons to move to the Dominican Republic! There is virtually no "accesability" here! The sidewalks and roads are in deplorable shape.There are few places you could go in a motorized wheelchair! Cris Colon

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Blvdbar, heed what Cris has to say. I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but unless you have family or paid companions to assist you in your travels you will be at a definite disadvantage. Santo Domingo and the rest of the country is not user friendly as far as wheelchair vans and wheelchair access to anything. The truth is, there is no operator courtesy in the Dominican Republic, a wheelchair van is just another vehicle when parked. It can and will be blocked in on all sides by cars, trucks and motorbikes. You may want to rethink your plans. Regards, PJT