Camaito (SP?????)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Quemaitos

Dominic (my 16-month-old son) is covered in water blisters and scabs...he's in a lot of pain and is not sleeping. Dr Salazar says it is from the sun and his molars coming in, I don't know what to think. We're on our way back to Canada, and I'm afraid the docs there won't have a clue what is going on with him...
Everyone from here who sees him says it's camaito (sp???), and it'll go away in about 2 weeks. The heat of the fever from his molars coming in, and from the sun is too much for his body. Some people say coconut milk helps, some say bathing him in soda. Does anyone have any experience with this (Jane J - help???), and if so, any suggestions? Dominic is suffering so much...he's on medicine, has Vitamin A&D cream, and is getting a penicillin shot every morning...

Last edited:

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
I am not sure what "camaito' is ...but once my child had a rash and they told me to put 'milk of magnesia' on him because that cooled him down and it did work. maybe you can try that. and if you could get the correct spelling on that , that wouldbe more helpful.... though i still will ask around . ok? hope he gets better "fast" .;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Poor little baby. I'm thinking chalamine lotion too.
He has blisters so this may not be a good idea but my grandmother would put vinegar on burns and it works great on sunburns too BUT not at this point when he has blisters. It used to work on my kids when they got sunburn.

Trina almost forgot do you have an aloevera plant?. It stops pain from any burn in a few hours. Just open the leaf and put it straight on the burn.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I'm thinking "quema?tos" here, which you can liken to impetigo.

Basically, this is a bacterial infection, maybe strep, maybe staph, which only the penicillin will get rid of. Bathing him in baking soda (bicarbonato de sodio in the pharmacy) or oatmeal might relieve his discomfort a little, but if the antibiotic is being given by injection (and I'm guessing it is!), it will kick in almost immediately. You could also put some polysporin on the sores.

Ah, Trina...you didn't think you could have a vacation without some sort of ailment afflicting your baby, did you? It can't be done!

Don't worry, and enjoy the rest of your trip!

ETA: (Did you see my family?)

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'd use calamine lotion ever couple of hours.
If you are going back to the Dr. maybe you could ask about a 1/2 tab of tylenol pm. It has something for the pain, and an antihistamine, which might help with the itching and swelling. I don't know what the correct dosage would be to relieve his suffering. But the Dr. might agree and tell you the correct dosage.
mk

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
When you get back to Canada .....

baths in Aveeno Oatmeal will sooth the itch and calamine lotion will help altho' I'd go with the polysporin on the sore to speed healing and prevent infection. You might ask the Dr about Benadryl as that will aid the histamine reaction (itch) and should not interfer with the anti-biotic.
Rest assured that while it is horrible now, as long as the sores don't get infected it will soon pass ( as she scratches the itch that still plagues her!!;))

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Quemaitos? Sunburn!

Jesus F*cking H. Christ! If it was my kid and he was covered with blisters and in a lot of pain I would take him to another Doctor and not be looking for "Home Remedies" on the Internet!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
No need to panic Tony. Before the internet people seeked advice with aunts, grandmas, mothers and friends. Not much of a difference. And although I am completely ignorant about children's ailments I think all kids get almost the same things before they grow up.

I've heard "quemaito" referring to children's rash, specially diaper rash. Never about sunburn.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pib said:
No need to panic Tony. Before the internet people seeked advice with aunts, grandmas, mothers and friends. Not much of a difference.

And they were idiots then also. These old time treatments crack me up. Who cares what they used before?!?! They also had a lower life expectancy. Give me modern medicine anyday!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
When I was young I used to think by grandmother's remedies were strange but now I find the same cures in health magazines.

I cut my leg very deeply when I was about 10 and my nonna healed that deep cut with lemon and sugar. Today you can hardly see the scar. Modern medicine is great for many things and some old cures are still around today.

Hey Robert maybe we should have a natural healing section.

"Name it natural remedies from the DR."

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
hope he is better by now

I hope that the antibotic is helping the baby by now.I remember when I took my son to DR when he was two years old. I took him to a river and he got very sick on me. He had a very high fever and my relatives took him to the hospital and they gave him an injection and then oral medication. He did respond well to the medication it just take about 24-48 hours to kick in depending on the infection. I remember I really freaked out , especially since I did not understan celcius(sp) as to farrenheit. But if the fever persist do take him back to the clinic, he is still a baby. Good luck.... keep us posted.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Update

Tony, you're always such a help...I'm positively honoured that you replied... all I can say is that with your personality, it must've been quite a childhood, hopefully you learn to deal with it some day...Perhaps if you'd read my first e-mail, you would've noticed I'd said he'd been to the doctor, was getting a penicillin shot every day, was taking medicine, and had a cream prescribed by the doctor. I was only hoping someone else can offer a little insight as to what exactly this is, and if anything else might give him some comfort.

Dr Salazar has been treating Dominic with penicillin shots, Jane, you are exactly right. Dominic seems to be a little bit better, we're back in Canada now, and are about to take Dom to my doctor here. I think getting him out of the hot sun might help, not so much water on the body.

Thanks to everyone else for your help!

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I hope the baby is doing better. Hes such a sweet happy kid. I'm not much into kids but I like him! I even talked to him and touched him a little. It was hard seeing him so unhappy when we left Eddys.
Hope hes feeling better now that hes back in the cold!!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks, all

Thanks to all for your help...thought I'd give an update. Coming back home to Canada was a Godsend for Dominic. It seemed as soon as he got out of the hot sun, he started to get better. He's still on penicillin, but most of his rash has gone away (thank goodness). He's still a little tender, but I'm sure time will heal all, I hope it doesn't leave scars. He's also back to his happy self, so that's a relief...

Thanks again
Trina

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Trina
Glad to hear Dominics feeling better,had my last Keiths today and toasted you and Angel,Evelyn sends her best hope you come back soon
John:cool:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Shame on me for not doing this earlier, John, but thank you so much for the lovely evening on Thursday! Your wife is such a kind woman, and a hell of a cook! We really enjoyed the evening, I meant to get back and thank you both in person, but the last few days were spent inside as much as possible, due to Dominic needing to stay out of the sun...back to the ratrace in Canada here, and haven't made the time to write yet.:tired:
Thank you so much again, give our love to Evelyn!