Our phone service has been blocked

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Yesterday, we lost the ability to call out on our telephone. People can call me, but I cannot call out. Not even local calls. Mr. Mainer went to the Codetel office today to see what was up. Our phone payment is automatically deducted from the owner's account, and we pay him monthly.

My husband was told that our bill exceded $1,000 pesos, so our phone has been blocked. They will remove the block if he gives them 500 pesos today. He shows them the bill and where it has been paid. He explains that it is automatically paid before the due date monthly. They bargain down to 395 pesos to hook us back up. He told them no way.

Needless to say, we no longer have dial out service. We will disconnect next month and go to cell phone. Don't know what we will do about internet service.

FYI: It is impossible for our bill to be below 1,000 pesos because the monthly service plus the monthly internet exceeds that.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Apparently what has happened in your case is that you are affected by a low credit limit. Codetel recently began implementing the program that establishes credit limits for calls on telephones regardless of whether or not they have VIP plans. If you go beyond that limit, the ban on outgoing calls applies -- usually to long distance calls. You can apply for extended credit.

Ask if that is the problem.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thanks, Dolores

Mr. Mainer says that sounds about right. Not being able to speak Spanish makes this a little more difficult.

We will speak with the owners and ask if they can take care of a credit extension.

Mainer

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
That's SOP for Codetel. It happened to me not long ago. They explained to me that since my long distance calls had never exceeded RD$2000 in average they had set that as the limit and if it ever went over that they block it "to prevent anyone from 'misusing' your phone". It sounds logical, but it also sounds like another way to get early payments from you.

I didn't ask for an extension of credit and just paid what they said and went on my merry way. I don't think I'll ever spend RD$2000 in long distance calls ever again anyways.

I'll just call my parents collect ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Deposit another 1K pesos and double your limit to 2K.
I have had the same problem with tricom but somehow they have raised my limit without even me asking for it. Do you think one of my girls at tricom might have helped me?

The moral of the story is, make friends in all the important places ex: codetel, tricom, water company, electric company, banks, cable company etc etc. These people will help you always. Be good to them and most of all, be friendly and humorous. You will not have as many peoblems in the future.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
AZB: Have you thought what could happen to your service if you ever break up with your Novia at Tricom or whatever company you got a girlfriend to help you? If they can help you they could also really mess you up(I.e. lower your credit limit to 200 pesos, etc)...Just a thought.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Congratulations Mainer!!!!!!!!!!!

You are on the way to becoming "Dominican"! All Dominicans have their phones shut off about 1/2 the time.Now get the "Luz" shut off,and then the "agua'! Then you will be almost 100% Dominicanized! Last step,no credit at the colmados! Good Luck! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc