The trick to making your life easier in DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I had posted something similar a few years back but I think some of you folks might benefit from this post into making your life easier in DR.
Rule #1: always make friends in important places in DR. Ex: banks, electric company, cable TV, water company, supermarket etc etc. In times of trouble, these people will carry you through in almost any matter.
EX: when I first came to this country I didn?t speak Spanish but I needed things done immediately. First of all, I called the phone company (codetel) and spoke to a person who spoke English. I immediately complemented on his English language skills. I was also able to figure out that the person was gay. Gays are generally very gentle people to talk to. I was able to make him laugh and feel better at that particular time. In return: I was able to get an easy number for my office and had the line connected within 4 days when it took a month to do the same (not to mention all the hassle). He then connected me with internet within hours after my phone line was connected.
In Santiago I had to connect with tricom lines so guess what?..I found a girlfriend in tricom who did all in the same day. Not only I had my lines installed but internet was also connected the same day.
Water company and cable company people were also a cake, I simply had to talk to them and make them laugh with my conservation. Dominicans love humor and they like a person who talks funny with an accent. But you must remember, always give them respect ex; if the person is a manager or a coronal in military / police, I act as if I am afraid of them. I never try to tell them the rules or try to push them around. I act like they are helping me and appreciate their input. All you have to do is to ask them how they can help you. The first mistake every foreigner make is that they go there pissed off and then talk to the manager and make him look bad in front of his own employees. You foreigners are always too occupied with your ?personal rights?. This is not USA or Canada, rules apply differently here.
Now if the worker is a lazy employee and tries to send you back home to come back another day, then you must act aggressive and let them know that you don?t have a whole day to waste. Ask for his superior and then play the same game as I have listed above.
I usually do is as follows: I invite the managers of banks, phone company and doctors to my house for a BBQ and drinks. This doesn?t really cost as much as you would get out from them in return (favors). Usually one well-to-do Dominican knows many other important people so you don?t even have to do your search to find good people. Go out with a coronal and insist upon paying the bill. Do not make it seems as if it?s a barter for a favor you would ask in return. I went out with a coronal from the airforce along with his wife and friends. He was a rare case, not only he was a coronal but he was also a medical doctor (a very well known surgeon in SD). He made money in dollars. The guys was loaded. So when we spoke he instantly became my friend. He took us all out and spend thousands of pesos like pocket change. He wouldn't let me take out my wallet. So when we all went for late night snacks I pretended as if I were going to the bathroom. Instead I went to the cashier and paid the whole bill. He realized and jumped at the cashier but I insisted that cashier take my money (I knew the owner). He acted upset but he liked the fact that I was not a leech like the others. Now we are good fiends and he calls me regularly and invites me to his house.
When I am with those important people, I never even talk of a favor but only talk about interesting things ex: women and their work. Give them the importance and always act as if I am afraid of them. They all love the attention that a foreigner gives them. In return they will give you the world.
The main mistake many foreigners make is that they make friends with the lowest of the lowest Dominicans in society ex: hookers and resort workers. These people have no contacts and can never help you in any difficult matters; worse they always leech off you.
So why date a poor helpless Dominican when you can spend the same energies in knowing a decent bank worker or a cable company guy / gal. You see, you folks have the knowledge to impress them with your intellects but you always seem to choose a poor barrio guy / gal.
Life can be very difficult if you don?t have any connections in this country. So everyone get their act together and get to know the real Dominicans. My advantage is that I really do enjoy the company of people around me, Dominicans or foreigners. It seems Dominicans also enjoy my company. Just be sincere in your friendship and you will see the doors open all around you, everywhere.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I agree. I've met both the telephone guy and the cable guy in the park for a beer! Went to lunch with the electric guy.
Still working on some other connections.
But also for a woman its a little more difficult. Have to make the friend but also try and keep it friendship. The men always seem to want a little more. Have to make a friend but yet keep distance.It is a little different for a man.
But at least I know you AZB!! jejeje

Last edited:

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Too true

Good post AZB and all too true Dominicans crave respect from foreiners and eat it up,one point I will add when I went through a tough period here it was Dominicans who made sure my family and myself were ok not the foreigners,connections are the most important thing youcan have here.
J.H:cool:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
My goodness AZB thats why you spoke so nicely about him.....vas a seguir!!!!!!! Man you got to stop that fruity shit, then all your stories about your conquests will start to sound like a pile of shit:D :D :laugh: :p :devious: just kidding what you were saying made sense. Thats why when I'm over there I use the people I know and I know plenty of them, they're pretty cool and helpful

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Your Dominican experience will be greatly enhanced if you can avoid the first five screwings. Most of the people with bad to say had gotten taken 5 times quicker and harder than the mind can handle:)

Use of this board can prevent it no matter how hard the info is to take at times and how cruel a manner dispersed.

Just my two cents as I get ready to go to the airport for my 2nd bump. Looking to grab 4 this trip if I can get away with it. I will post my bumping strategy in another thread if anyone is interested in the cottage industry I have spauned:) Forget the Free Zones, this is much cooler.

Escott

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Bumps

Got 2 free trips this winter with bumps and three free ones with miles. That works well for a guy thats down there once a month.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks

Thanks AZB for the info! I was doing that last trip and didn't know I was doing it.......

Made friends with a female lawyer who is trying to improve her English. I'm a female financial planner from Canada trying to improve her Spanish. We were able to help each other out and she showed me where to go dancing........ I'm sure we'll be usefull to each other in the future.....

I agree with Jan's comment. It is harder for women as men in positions of authority are looking for a "little more" from us! It is difficult to be friendly and still draw the line when needed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I agree with Jan's comment. It is harder for women as men in positions of authority are looking for a "little more" from us! It is difficult to be friendly and still draw the line when needed." Planner

Lets clear something out: I agree that it could be difficult for a woman to make friends, become friendly and yet draw the line. However, i must stress upon the point that you can't have it both ways, have your own cake and eat it too. Ex: you can't go out with a man, let him spend his money, his time and his energies on you yet when you are not willing to put out when the moment of truth arrives? I have had girls who would take me for a ride, spend my money on expensive drinks and shrimps and bring along friends and then expect to be just friends??? no way. If you girls only want to be friends then act like friends. take a dominican man out and insist upon paying your own bill all the way. pay for him as well and let him know that you respect him as a friend. Invite him to your parties and ask him to bring in his girldfriend. take him out when you go out with your boyfriend.
You girls can't expect a dominican guy to spend all the money and time and then expect him to treat you like his sister? lets be reasonable here.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Wait a minute here....

Hey AZB, I think you confused what I was trying to say. We were talking about making friends with influential people not dating!

I absolutely agree with you!!!! If I am being friends with someone - I pay my fair share and then there is no sense of owing anyone...... Quite often it is the same when I date. I don't want to feel I owe anyone or they owe me.......

I've seen women who "take" a man they are dating for whatever they can get. I don't like it and it makes all of us women look the same. We aren't

So, which issue is this thread going to continue on????? Jan and I were talking about what you originally brought up AZB which is cultivating friends in the DR and being helpful to each other.....

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Bumps

KenoshaChris said:
Got 2 free trips this winter with bumps and three free ones with miles. That works well for a guy thats down there once a month.

I did 3 free trips plus 108 that was left over on vouchers for a 4th where I paid the difference. I also did Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving on FF miles. I still have 87k miles on American which is just under 3 trips but will be over on my next statement.

Previous Summary Balance 87,564
Total Mileage Posted Since Last Summary 0
Current Mileage Balance 87,564
Date of Last Activity 04/09/03

I had the window open:) I also just returned so add one more flight not posted. AA Dining is a great deal also. I had dinner last night that cost 70- bux and I get 10 miles for every dollar spent so add another 700 plus one mile for every dollar since I used AAdvantage Citibank credit card for a total of 770 miles for dinner last night. You can only go once a month to each restaurant but I go to many.

More ways to skin the cat than meets the eye.

I am going to start a new thread with this.

Scott