Bay Rum

Apr 26, 2002
DR1 reports today of doctors complaining that they have to use "rum" to sterilize. To non-Dominicans, it must sound like the doctors keep a supply of Brugal Anejo around to enjoy and use it to sterilize patients and/or instruments if they have any left.

We'll, that would be half-true. You can bet that they're swigging the stuff.

I have to believe that the "rum" is really "bay rum", which is highly distilled and almost pure alcohol. It has been used in the DR for medical purposes practically forever because it is made locally and is cheap.

Sorry to take the sensationalism out of the story.

Still, does anybody out there know whether bay rum is sufficiently pure and without contaminates to be used for modern medical purposes?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I remember all the old barbershops using bay rum after shaving you with a straight razor but I dont know how pure the alcohol content is.
J.H.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
The only medicinal uses I know of for bay rum are for headaches and fever. That's what they did in David Copperfield, anyway, circa 1850s.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Among the galleros Bay Rum mixed with limes is used to cool down the cocks after a good afternoon of excersise.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Berr?n

Profirio,

I'm pretty sure people around here know the difference between berr?n (bay rum) and rum, so I believe that what was reported is accurate.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
so it can be used to "cool down the cocks" and as a disinfectant, I think we have another birth control that prevents spread of disease all in one.

Sorry I could not help my self

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am pretty sure that it is just the cheapest white rum you can buy

Why would they use anything else? It is cheap and plentiful and will disenfect...

Use Dominican products! Use Ron Lava Gallo!...hehehe

HB

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
from experience: rum, applied to the wound, relieves infections from insect bites and from encounters with sea urchins. tequila, on the other hand, just leaves your skin feeling sticky, and you smell kind of weird too.

mob :classic: