Danny Almonte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For those interested in a follow-up story on the Danny Almonte story. He is currently a freshman a Monroe HS in the Bronx. They have one of the great programs in the city and the coach is one of the best. It appears he is a good 15 year old pitcher.

Tom F.

Almonte KOs Columbus
By John Boell
STAFF WRITER

April 24, 2003

Ping. Ping.

Two pitches, two fastballs, two doubles. Next thing Danny Almonte knew, he and Monroe were trailing Columbus by two runs. This was not the kind of start the highly publicized freshman pitcher wanted.

But with the composure of a senior, Almonte calmed down, then heated up.

The former Rolando Paulino All-Star allowed only two Columbus players to reach base after the second inning to lead Monroe to a 6-2 baseball win at Lehman High School in a fourth-round winners'-bracket game of the 34th annual Monroe Tournament yesterday.

Monroe will host Lehman at 1 p.m. today in a quarterfinal game.

"In the first inning, I wasn't feeling it. I felt shaky," Almonte said through translator and assistant coach Felipe Cordova. "But once I got going, I was like 'OK,' and I took it from there."

Indeed. Almonte, who was at the center of the controversy surrounding a Bronx Little League team in the 2001 Little League World Series because he was found to be two years over the 12-year-old limit, improved to 4-1 on the season. He got six of his final seven outs by way of strikeout.

"I felt like I was in control," said Almonte, who allowed four hits with 10 strikeouts, one hit batter and no walks for the complete-game win. "I started to blow them away with the fastball."

Still, Monroe coach Mike Turo believed he had seen better from his young, talented southpaw.

"He didn't have his fastball, but later, he showed occasional pop," Turo said. "He kept the ball low, and he was very confident after the second inning."

Meanwhile, Monroe capitalized on three Columbus errors and scored four runs in the third, highlighted by an RBI triple by Victor Liriano, who later added a sacrifice fly in the fourth to push the lead to 5-2.

Columbus coach Pete Nizzari, who started six sophomores, took a positive look at the loss.

"We're out there playing against the [defending PSAL] champs and we gave up three unearned runs, but we didn't get embarrassed," said Nizzari, whose team is 8-4.

Monroe (20-3-1) added a run in the fifth on an RBI single by Carlos Fermin. From there, it was all Almonte.

Victor Morales improved to 5-0 and hit a two-run homer to highlight a 2-for-3 game at the plate as Monroe defeated Christ the King, 9-3, in an earlier game.

MONROE 6

COLUMBUS 2
Copyright ? 2003, Newsday, Inc.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/34655.htm

Another article with a picture.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I Have a few questions:

Why is he allowed to play again?

Why hasn't he been deported?

Why is this kid being glorified?

What kind of an example are we showing our children by allowing him to stay in the U.S. and Play?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have a question

He had to speak through a translator?So he went through an English speaking Grammar school and is now sitting in a clasroom for 6 or 7 hours per day in an English speaking high school and he dosent speak English?

Larry

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Pib said:
Let the sins of the father be visited upon the son?

:confused:

Yep! But guess what? The kid is not innocent either. After he was caught he still denied his age until somebody told him to come clean.
How do we know that he is 15?
When will he be old enough to be responsible for his actions? Oh I forgot! He is a Athlete. He doesn't have to be responsible!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I agree with Pib

I agree with Pib.You cant blame the kid.That was his fathers fault.I think its rediculous that he can go through school here without speaking English though.
Larry

Actually,the more I think about it the less it surprises me.I went to high school in the 80's with Kenny Anderson of NBA fame and he couldnt form a sentence.He replied to every question with "huh" and the rare times he opened his mouth to express a thought some kind of jibber jabber nonsense came out.Despite this,he passed every class..and at that time the school was considered one of the (if not the) best catholic high schools in New York State.I guess the recognition he brought to the school through his athletic prowess was more important than learning.Same thing applies here.

Last edited:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Tony relax have you ever pass through the South Bronx? i grew up there when to taft H.S. on 172nd street a few miles away from Monroe THE PLACE IS A FREAKING GETTO! WHERE PEOPLE DREAM OF BEING STARS AND MOVE OUT WITH THEIR FAMILLIES. you think any body wants to live there? (((NO))).

What kind of an example are we showing our children by allowing him to stay in the U.S. and Play?

Here'S MY ANSWER:

What is your problem, let the kid have a chance he does have talent let him be a hero to all those kids in America growing UP with a Gansta Mentality he did nothing wrong, when you were that age you were quick to talk against your parents will right????
i thought so!, THEN SHUT UP!. let's not talk about example and blah blah blah let kids in this messed up society have a hero! and divert their minds from the Hip Hop Getto mentality let them play and say not to Guns or drugs in school instead of beign bias or racists let them know that the world is for good people and good people fit in any society any where in the world regardless of their color or nationality. KIDS ARE KIDS.

THIS COMENT PISSED ME OFF! WHAT KIND OF B.S. IS THIS FOR GOD SAKE HE'S JUST A KID.........................................................

OH! BEFORE I FORGET, I GUESS IF HE HAD BEEN A WHITE OR BLACK AMERICAN BOY BY NOW PEOPLE LIKE YOU WOULD OF HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ISSUE AND PROBLABLY LAUGH ABOUT IT BUT HE'S NOT, REASON WHY YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT HIM AS AN EXAMPLE OF THE WORST THING SINCE COLUMBINE MASSACRE.

BREATHE IN BREATHE OUT THOSE ARE MY 2 CENTS.

STILL RAINING IN MIAMI

katty

Mar 14, 2003
let the ekid have a chance

ERICKXSON said:
I say right let the kid have a chance with the welfare system in us, I say if there is someone who will get off his or her lazy ass and work or do sumthing productive, I say go for it

Tony relax have you ever pass through the South Bronx? i grew up there when to taft H.S. on 172nd street a few miles away from Monroe THE PLACE IS A FREAKING GETTO! WHERE PEOPLE DREAM OF BEING STARS AND MOVE OUT WITH THEIR FAMILLIES. you think any body wants to live there? (((NO))).

Here'S MY ANSWER:

What is your problem, let the kid have a chance he does have talent let him be a hero to all those kids in America growing UP with a Gansta Mentality he did nothing wrong, when you were that age you were quick to talk against your parents will right????
i thought so!, THEN SHUT UP!. let's not talk about example and blah blah blah let kids in this messed up society have a hero! and divert their minds from the Hip Hop Getto mentality let them play and say not to Guns or drugs in school instead of beign bias or i sayracists let them know that the world is for good people and good people fit in any society any where in the world regardless of their color or nationality. KIDS ARE KIDS.

THIS COMENT PISSED ME OFF! WHAT KIND OF B.S. IS THIS FOR GOD SAKE HE'S JUST A KID.........................................................

OH! BEFORE I FORGET, I GUESS IF HE HAD BEEN A WHITE OR BLACK AMERICAN BOY BY NOW PEOPLE LIKE YOU WOULD OF HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ISSUE AND PROBLABLY LAUGH ABOUT IT BUT HE'S NOT, REASON WHY YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT HIM AS AN EXAMPLE OF THE WORST THING SINCE COLUMBINE MASSACRE.

BREATHE IN BREATHE OUT THOSE ARE MY 2 CENTS.

STILL RAINING IN MIAMI

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
keeping up on his stats.

http://www.monroeeagles.com/

You can all keep up on his stats as the season goes along. Looks like he can hit a little bit also. I find it hard to criticize the kid with all these corporate CEO's following all the rules. He got caught, paid the price, and is probably in a bilingual program at Monroe being he hasn't been in the country that long. How many of those CEO's paid the price? Very few I think. I'm sure he will be speaking English in a year or two. Think you could do any better learning another language? I have spoken with other coaches in NYC and they say he is a good player but say he still needs some time. I am going to see Monroe and Lehman play on Wednesday and will let the board know.

He is in a bad neighborhood and is playing with a top-notch program. The coach will make sure he gets an education and either goes to college (or jr. college) or is drafted if the kid wants it. Most of these kids don't get a high enough SAT score to go to a Division I school. He is one of these kids that start practicing with their summer teams on Jan. 1st in a gym. They practice 1 night a week and Saturday and Sunday. March 1st, they start practicing with their high school teams (if they are eligible). By June 1st you are playing 4-7 games a week until September.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Boo-Hoo! My heart bleeds.

Do you really think that this kid is a good role model? No wonder so many of our kids are F*cked up!

You see that is the problem. Why not give these kids real role models? Sure a few will suceed through sports. But very few! Why not show them real role models? People from backgrounds much worse than that spoiled brat and who have made the right decisions. They stayed in school. They worked hard and studied. And now they are sucessful! A succesful business man is a much better role model than any pro- athlete will ever be.

You say you care about this kid. That is the difference between you and me. I care about all kids. And I don't think we are doing them any good by telling them that it is ok to lie, cheat and break the law for the one in a million chance that they may become a professional athlete.

BTW. You incorrectly stated that if this kid was a white or black American boy I would have forgotten about this issue. I am Cuban and if this Kid was Cuban I would have protested his continued playing even more.
I wonder if this kid wasn't Dominican if you would have even bothered to read this post.

It stopped raining in Miami

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Mr. Hialeah? And you want me to "Die"?

Listen Mr. West Kendall!

That sure is some inteligent debate you got going there. I don't have any answers to such enlightened comentary. it is great to see how your parents got their money's worth when they sent you to Public School!

Let me guess....Your role models are Pedro Guerrero, O.J. Simpson and Alan Iverson!

It may be raining in Miami but it is Sunny here By my pool in Pinecrest!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yada, yada, yada.... good job guys! Thread Closed!

ERICKXSON I think your mum should have washed your mouth out with soap. You sure are a great role model....

Status
Not open for further replies.