It's done!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Had the surgery performed at the Fort Lauderdale offices of TLC. Was -7.00 yesterday morning, now close to 20/20 today! Glad I didn't wait to have it done in the DR, the surgery-to-beach wait time is 30 days!

Thanks to all for the input:cool:

~~~~~~~~
I guess I can't see as good as I thought - wanted to add this as a reply to

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22026

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thats great!!!

When you have time post more details, costs, aftercare etc.

I'm -6.75 with a little astigmatism so would love to get my sight back :)

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I hope your experience is better than mine was

I got Lasik surgery about three years ago in Canada. Unfortunately, I was not told prior that if you need even moderate correction, you may be looking at a second surgery. Prior to surgery my prescription was at least 20/300 plus having astigmatism. Long story short, I did not keep my 20/20 vision. It has deteriorated to at least 20/50 and I now have floaters and blank spots all the time. It seems to be further aggravated by use of the computer screen. The company who performed the surgery went out of business less than two weeks after I completed surgery. Too bad, because later I learned that the second surgery would have been covered. So I must wear glasses again and more than likely can not wear contacts again.

I wish for you a totally different experience. Enjoy your newfound vision!

Tondra

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Like having contacts on 24/7

Tondra, sorry to hear about your less than perfect outcome. Have you considered going back for a fix with a very reputable surgeon?

Here's some details, hope it doesn't get too boring;

I chose the TLC Laser Eye Centers because of their proffessionalism, the doctor's long history in the field, and latest equipment. I could have gone cheaper somewhere else but it was never about the money, but rather, the highest probability of success and satisfaction.

I started the pre op work at the center in N. Jersey - topography, obscan, dilation, waveform tests. As I started to work the opertation date into my hectic schedule, my wife suggested I take a week off and have the surgery done closer to home (where she could baby me back to health ;))

We checked the doctor's resume at the center in FLL and after a couple of phone calls to him and checking with the doctor in NJ, we were comfortable making the switch. The NJ center gladly sent the data to FLL in preparation for the operation on 4/25. As a matter of fact, the NJ center did my dilation test for FLL due to conflicts in schedules/flight arrival etc.

The NJ center never charged me a dime, and the FLL center costs were $1.7K less then NJ to perform the operation, $3.8K vs. $5.5K, respectively (my wife already used the difference to boost the economy via the local mall).

Pre op care for my procedure consisted of not wearing contacts for X amount of time depending on the type of contacts.

No aspirin or antihistimines 2 days prior, no steroids 1 month prior.

Day of surgery - no chemicals above the neck, i.e. makeup, lotions etc., dress warm, comfortable and lint -free. Diet and prescribed medication as normal. Driver to take you home and don't forget the mulla!

Post op includes plenty of rest, aspirin for headache-like discomfort first couple of days, antibiotic and anti-inflamatory 4X a day for 4 days, lubricating drops every hour for a week, no swimming for a week, no beach for a month :surprised .

Follow up visits are next day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months , 6 months, 1 year and every year thereafter to not void the warranty. You start paying for check ups after your 1st year.

I know its only been 3 days since the op and the eyes may change during the healing process and over time (the doctor joked about the possibility of a color change from brown to blue or x-ray vision), but at the moment I am relishing my excellent new vision!

~~~~~~~~

And to keep it DR related - Where can I swim with the dolphins in the DR?

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
But... you look cute in your Harry Potter glasses.
Robert, you have Harry Potter glasses? My son Angelo would kill for them! When you have the surgery, maybe you can donate them to us??? It would make Angelo's life...lolol

Congrats, socuban, hope you heal quickly!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Don't mean to be a wet blanket

I had done research on the company and had several people who had had their surgery done there with no problems. They were much pickier than the US companies seemed to be as to pre and post op care. I followed all the recommendations to the letter. Unfortunately, I just happened to be one of those people who had some side effects. Any surgery has its potential complications and risks. (My side effects did not show up for some months.) My eyes seem to be stable now. I could go have a second surgery, but I am leary now and don't have the money for it anyway.

You will be just fine. Enjoy your newfound sight! I sure did. It was wonderful to see the individual leaves on the trees again.

Tondra

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
3 years is a long time in refractive surgery.

I'm sure the procedures they will be doing in 2006 will make the ones they do now look almost "Neanderthal".

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
conchman

Thanks for the advice. I have yet to explore the north coast west of Las Terrenas or north of Santiago. I'm putting it on my to do list for this summer!