adventure tours or book day trips ourselves?

Ann W Brown

Feb 27, 2003
Hi friends,
I am researching a grand adventure for my family of 4, including 2 teenage sons, 19 & 14. (other families, want to hook up?) We are thinking of about 3 weeks in July, to include Sosua/Cabarete, the Samana, and Jarabacoa. Our interests vary, but include snorkeling, diving, kayaking, sailing, (no experience windsurfing or kiteboarding), hiking, mtn. biking, canyoning, music, dance, and meeting people.
I have looked over the Iguana Mama and Caribbean Adventure Tour sites and wonder how it works out, both financially and logistically, to use their booking services vs. going free lance and arranging it all myself. I'd like to save $$ where possible, but also want minimal hassles and disappointments. We are looking for 2 BR aparthotel type places where we can prepare our own meals when desired - should these be booked through an adventure company or on our own?
I notice that Expedia offers a package with Hotel Paraiso de Colon in Sosua, has anyone tried that aparthotel or that package? Any advice on transportation - express buses vs. car rental vs. hiring a driver with other travelers - is welcome.
How is mid-summer? Does the heat knock you out in the middle of the day and mosquitoes attack by night, or is this merely exaggeration? Thanks in advance to all who can share their experience. This is our first big Splurge trip (20th anniversary) and we want to make it the best possible by collecting the wisdom of others who have gone before.
Caio, Ann B.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You have a very ambitious program planned. Those two sons of yours should be well pleased to have parents to include so many great activities in the trip itinerary.

It gets hot in the summer, but won't knock you out. Jarabacoa should be noticeably cooler than Sosua because if its elevation, and Samana benefits from its position, giving it good exposure to the breeze. And even if it is hot in the day, it will cool down enough at night to permit you to sleep comfortably. When I lived in the state, I experienced summer heat waves that were hotter than the temps here, and nights there were miserable because there was little temperture change.

I haven't had experience booking multiple activities, so I may be shown to be wrong by a subsequent poster, but my belief is that you would be better to book your activities through someone like Iguana Mama rather than trying to do it on your own. You will save a lot of time, and lessen the likelihood of hassles and disappointments.

I hope you will write a report of your trip afterwards so that others can benefit from all the knowledge and experience you gained during your action-packed visit.

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Iguana Mama Tours

HI Ann

Pre-booking your trips through Iguana Mama can save you quite a bit of hassle once you get into Cabarete. Booking ahead with them will also usually get you a discount (especially if you pay them ahead through the US office). They offer really high quality tours, and will be sure that you have the best possible trip, they are great at accomodating their guests. I'm a former employee, and was lucky enough to go on several of their tours and was absolutely impressed. I highly recommend the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua Cascade Hike, its breathtaking!

I'm not sure what your budget for accomodations is, but I highly recommend Nanny's Estates on Cabarete Beach (its between the main windsurfing beach and the kitesurfing beach). We spent a year living there, the grounds are immaculate, quiet, great location, and decently priced. The manager of the property is named Maria.
Let me know if you have any other questions about Cabarete or the DR!

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Big Bastard

Noah,

Big Bastard must be a relatively new tour since I haven't heard of it. If it's new since May of 2002, that would explain it since I left Cabarete that time last year. I'm sure it's a well planned and executed thour though, I'd be shocked to hear otherwise based on the quality of the other offerings. Let me know!

Dominique

noahk

Apr 22, 2003
hiking tours or haiti

were there any hiking tours or day trips to haiti that you could recommend?

Dominique130

Jul 10, 2002
Haiti day trips

HI Noah,

Iguana Mama didn't offer any tours into Haiti at all last I checked, but there are several other tour companies in Cabarete that offer bus type tours. I know El Tours ( a german company) offers a bus tour that brings you to a "haitian market" and to a voudou show, but as far as I know there aren't any adventure type tours currently offered out of Cabarete to Haiti. My 83-year-old grandmother really enjoyed the El Tour, but it may not be ideal if you are looking for a more active experience into Haiti!