I bought a piece of land this trip...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
After making 15 offers in the last month or so I had just one accepted. I bought a building lot in a gated community in Sosua off of the road to Cabarete across from Seahorse Ranch that is under 3/4 of an acre with a panaramic Ocean view. Paved roads, underground electric, corner lot that slopes away from the Ocean with NO trees. The one thing I didn't want to bother with was knocking them down and having to get permission so I can landscape the way I wanted to.

This was a fun experience and I am going to try it again next time down. Just remember the old addage about buying a boat. The two best days in boating is when you buy it and then sell it. Same feelings probably are warrented here when dealing with Real Estate. I paid about 40% of the purchase price on a resale. In other words he paid more than double what I paid the previous owner for the lot. He was probably excited when he bought the lot and pleased when I bought it from him even at a loss.

I formed a corp that the attorney had already registered the name for. I can't believe that it was available. Translates to Ocean Front Properties Real Estate. Cool name, maybe I will use it for something some day.

This is an interesting country where people try to sell you property that they do NOT own, steal the fillings out of your teeth when you are talking to them and even worse. The best stories in the DR start with "You aint gonna believe this shit", so beware when doing business here.

I have determined that if you can avoid the first 5 screwings people normally get when they come here you will not get soured on the DR as fast even when you consider all the government corruption and every other Clusterfluck.

When I finally left the country the guy that stamps the passports on your way out had the BALLS to ask me for a propina (TIP). I told the SOB that he can keep me there for all I care and if he wants me to leave he should give me a freakin tip! That gave him at first a shocked quizicle look on his face then a smile. No tippy for him:) I think that he thinks he finally found the missing link!

Man I love this country and all its faults. I just feel bad for the average Dominican for having to put up with these faults that affect them much more than me. Too bad they don't do something about it. When I finally move to the DR I am going to organize protests about what goes on in the US and Europe and around the world. That should help em! LOL

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Am I missing something?

Tell us more on buying the land, 60% of your post was made up of negative comments. If it's such a bad place to live, why did you buy land and why would you buy more?

We are all very aware of the negative aspects of living in the DR, yet many of us choose to do so and also invest here. It would be nice to here some reasons why...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Robert,
I thought it was informative and I appreciate when people give a true account of their dealings in the DR.I especially think these two "negative" paragraphs were very important for jazzcom say:

This is an interesting country where people try to sell you property that they do NOT own, steal the fillings out of your teeth when you are talking to them and even worse. The best stories in the DR start with "You aint gonna believe this shit", so beware when doing business here.

I have determined that if you can avoid the first 5 screwings people normally get when they come here you will not get soured on the DR as fast even when you consider all the government corruption and every other Clusterfluck.---JAZZCOM

If he just posted about the land he bought and didnt add his "negative" experiences what kind of truthful picture would he be painting?
I understand that some people get tired of the negative comments but I for one have learned as much or more from the negatives I have read on DR1 as the positives.It gives me a clearer insight into Dominican living and helps me to aviod potential quagmires.I wont speak for jazzcom but the reason I keep going back and hope to live in the DR one day is because I think all of the wonderful positives outweigh the negatives. Its important to see things from all sides so we can make decisions.
Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I promote caution not negativity Robert. I see people making big investments on only 2 visits to the DR and I see many people get a big old screwing here. Balance and caution along with a dose of more caution in my thoughts are highly advisable. What works for some may not work for others.

Like I said in my previous post I love the country with all its faults. I spend a lot of time in the DR have gotten my residency and my drivers license and bought property so I am evidently commited. In eleven months I will apply for my citizenship.

I think that the faults cannot be talked about enough in order to help people with the move and adjusting to the DR. Painting too rosey a picture is more a disservice than telling it like it is or in other words "how I see it".

If people can avoid being screwed over the first 5 times I truly believe their experience will be a much better one so I try try try try try again to inform them of obstacles. A lot of the expats I run into that are soured on the country didn't avoid these pitfalls. Maybe the new breed will and like it more and without resentment.

I have for at least 2 years preached that buying Real Estate isn't a good investment here. I have crunched the numbers here several times to back up my thoughts. After traveling to Costa Rica in Feb/March and pricing Real Estate there and seeing that it was much more expensive than the DR I decided that quite possibly we may be on the bottom of the price cycle in the DR. It cant possibly keep going down, down, down... (I hope:)) You can get close to 30% on Certificates of Deposit in the DR and the value of Real Estate has gone down for years. Difference can be that the prices have touched bottom and may rise in value now. That would offset a typical negative to 1% max return per month on rental.

So with the end of the Iraq War and the lack of any further activities of Osama Bin Laden I believe that there can be a severe increase of travel to the Dominican Republic because of its convienence to the US, cost of vacationing which is about the lowest in the Carib, and the pent up demand to travel. Tourism is what drives real estate in the Beach Markets in my opinion.

Not really much more to tell about buying the land. I recommend using an Attorney for sure. Also you can take out title insurance here from Stewart Title. The only other advice I can offer is start your offers low because you can never come down while you can always negotiate upwards. Look at lots of properties before you start making offers. Low offers will usually/sometiimes draw counter offers and you may be able to find a balance and figure out actual worth. Some people are just waiting for the next person to come off the plane with too much money and too little sense to unload a overpriced problem property to.

The developer of the Gated Community I bought in still has lots for sale at 2.3x the price I paid without having as good a view and is not interested in dropping the asking prices.

Hope this makes my thoughts clearer to you.

Escott

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Robert,
I thought it was informative and I appreciate when people give a true account of their dealings in the DR.I especially think these two "negative" paragraphs were very important for jazzcom say:

I have determined that if you can avoid the first 5 screwings people normally get when they come here you will not get soured on the DR as fast even when you consider all the government corruption and every other Clusterfluck.---JAZZCOM

If he just posted about the land he bought and didnt add his "negative" experiences what kind of truthful picture would he be painting?
I understand that some people get tired of the negative comments but I for one have learned as much or more from the negatives I have read on DR1 as the positives.It gives me a clearer insight into Dominican living and helps me to aviod potential quagmires.I wont speak for jazzcom but the reason I keep going back and hope to live in the DR one day is because I think all of the wonderful positives outweigh the negatives. Its important to see things from all sides so we can make decisions.
Larry

Did I say it's wrong to post negative experiences?
Negativity, bad experiences are essential when posting factual information like buying real estate.

A coin has two sides, I would like people to post both sides.
That way we can all make more informed decisions...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jazz, now that was an excellent post!

I agree with you and this is something we have discussed in person. I cannot see how real estate prices can fall any lower, if you use due diligence and take the time to have a good a look round, the market is full of exceptional (my opinion) bargains.

I also agree that people that blow in a for a few weeks and think they have picked up a bargain have inevitably been taken for a ride, they just don't know it yet. Brokers/agents are in the business of making money primarily and clients happy secondarily(ish).

I will be in Sosua end of this week to see a condo a friend just picked up for peanuts, he had the luxury to look/research over the past 12 months and it has paid off in my opinion.

By the way, you can pick up a nice studio apartment at Eddy's Condos for less than US$12,000. In my opinion that's not a bad investment, especially with Eddy managing it. And no, I don't get anything out of it, just passing on info.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The lot...

Photo of Jazzcom's lot. Over half acre in a Sosua gated community.

jazz_lot.jpg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Nice piece of land jazzy. May I ask how much?
Are you going to build a house on it so we can come visit you.

Last edited:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
NOW WHAT?

Hey Jazz, Congrats on your purchase. So what will you do with the lot. Are you going to build on it or was it more of a speculative purchase? I couldn't agree more regarding it being the right time to buy. A careful and patient and well informed investor could do quite well on the north coast.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anna - Someone that is patient and knows what they are doing can pick up a lot like that for around US$15-20,000.

I don't know what Jazz paid, but he is patient and knowledgeable...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Not exactly sure yet on what I am going to do. There were 3 other lots in the sub division I put bids on. I may try to buy a couple of more lots there. I have somewhat of a cashflow problem till July. I am closing on a Condo for my dad on the 13th of June and I am selling a house the first week in July. Condo costs 325k and house that I am selling is 365k but I have to come up with the 325 first.

If I don't get another lot in that same sub division I plan on building a decorative stone wall around the property along with two gates going in. 1 meter 20 on the two road sides and 2 meters adjoining neighbors. I may do this at the end of June or after I close in July on the other house. I am going to start looking at plans to build a guest cottage/maids quarters that I may even start this summer and then a main house when I make the final jump to the DR.

I paid 15k for the land plus 1k for the corporation and 500 in taxes and closing costs. 16500 was the total. The guy I bought it from paid 36k for the lot but I wasn't looking to make his day. I had been turned down 4 times with the same offer on other lots in the same place. This may not be 100% representative of what it will cost again but you never know.

The pic that Rob posted was from my car sitting in the drivers seat. View will get much better as I stand up and then build 2 floors 27feet <approx> in height. Maybe one year we can have a pool party at mi casa for Easter instead or along with a dinner at Rockys!

Scott

Edited to Add:

I paid 12x $25 for the year in advance maintenence for the community. Includes maintenence, 2 guards 24hrs, street lights, tennis courts etc.. That was included in my closing costs.

When you build a house it goes to 50- bux a month.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Friends forever!!!!

Good work Jazz, now I see the beginning of a beautiful friendship between 2 people who love life.
Will you have a guest room with A/C for me?
You are my hero!!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
AZB, no problem. I will even make a seperate entrance for you and sound proof it! Don't worry about a thing. You can bring your novia to my home at the shore anytime! Well anytime after I build the thang!:)

Escott

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah but I would have to inspect the place first; no hidden video cameras man.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Great News Jazzcom!

Good price, great place and it will be good to have you around more often!

Well, maybe I should rethink this statement... The only problem is that I think I'll have to move as property prices will certainly fall all down the coast with you moving in ;) And if your friends start visiting, we'll hear the music all the way down South of Cabarete. Don't know if I can stand it! The only thing that would be good, is more regular Presidente's with you down at Jose O'Sheas!

When you start digging foundations, let's be sure to get Richard there with a 'good' camera so that we could all see 'good' pictures of the occasion....

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Congrats, Jazz! We're looking to do the same, soon...just have to figure out where...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
AZB said:
Yeah but I would have to inspect the place first; no hidden video cameras man.

AZB... Man I promise to cut you a copy of your two minutes of fame! LOL

Criss... No prob, I would have been down more often anywho! I am going to start some sort of construction by summers end latest.

Trina... Check this place out. Be nice to have more familiar faces around.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hiya jazzcomm - is that Escondido Bay, formerly known as Playa Laguna?

If so, you'll be happy to know that my husband is the one who put in all those transformers, street lights, etc.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I'm Jealous

Jazzcom,
Great investment and nice piece of property. You have fulfilled my dream of buying land there but I would want to build most of my own home since I work in construction anyways. I can lay block for outside and foundation and for inside walls use 2x4 studs, 16" on center, run inside wire unless they have weird building laws, and would make a modest 3/4 bedroom home with two baths: I am being nosy now, what do you think your home will cost to build without including furnishings? Don't have to answer or can email me concerning costs of well, drainfield, and structural costs if you know at this time. Once again, good luck.
dale7(Howard)