Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default moving to Dominican what do we need

Im new to this, hope I'm doing it right?

Was wondering what a person needs to be able to work in the Dominican? A residence premit? A work visa? And where does one obtain whatever is needed.

Also wondering about the education system there, as I have 4 small children.

Also wondering about the medical system? Can anyone enlighten me on any of these things?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a wealth of information in the archives that can help you.

For best assistance from people on the board, we need to know where you will be living. Impossible to give specific info without knowing that.

But, there are good schools (private) available; there are good doctors in the Dominican Republic, and you should plan to get residency.

But to tap the resources of the archives, click on the "search" button at top of this page, then do your search for residency, schools, doctors, etc.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to flog a dead horse but the name of the country is the "Dominican Republic". Dominican is a adjective.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy A trifle leery on this

You are moving ( you know this?) and have no information at all yet? And with 4 kids, wow. Quite a change. Of course if you live in Havana right now maybe not much at all, since you didn't actually say from where.

How many times have you been and what are you doing going there? E.g. for $$$ and so on.

And I 2nd Tony C: Dominican is a person who lives there. For less typing say "to the DR".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bring some Spanish

muy importante.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Being very blunt, I think that to move here with 4 young children is either bery foolhardy or very selfish!! The Dominican schooling system is very basic (rote learning) whereas the private schools, although quite good, are very expensive. Think about the whole thing VERY carefully & check your real reasons for coming here.

Are you TRULY self sufficient to be able to school them privately? Would you be happy with them having a less than adequate schooling if you DON'T have the income to send them to private schools? What sort of work do you intend doing here & have any offers been made to you yet? (WORK offers I mean - the other type of offers always end up as broken promises &/or broken hearts!!!).

Come back with more information & I am sure the regulars will give you serious responses to your questions. Please, PLEASE, do not tell us you are coming for love, we just won't believe you!! - Grahame

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We were seven children aged 5 to 14

My dad was a social worker. My parents befriended a Dominican priest who invited us. My parents had no financial goals, as the pay was very low. And we couldn't afford the American school, but we found a way to attend private Dominican schools. We survived with the help of a Dominican lady who helped my mom cook and clean. Some of us learned Spanish. Made friends. Played with fire crackers, cacatas and geckos. Only 2 of us have returned. The rest want to...
    It's doable. Check the archives. Several people have recently moved there. Their accounts are priceless.
    mk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input. The "DR" it is! No We are not moving there for love. My husband is a college professor here in Canada and he has a private practice in community psychiatry. He is looking for a teaching position in the humanities and will open a clinic to provide support to the expatriate population. We are looking at moving to the Puerta Plata area. We need advice on contacts at the University or College, housing, and schooling. Thank you for your suggestion to look in the archives, we will do that. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, this is crackin' me up...

But I have to ask...how many expats in the DR need help with psychiatric issues. Me thinks those were washed away when the plane landed.

In response to your question about what is needed to live and work there...money and patience. Money for the living part and patience for the working part.

Seriously, you really need to visit this country and experience "a day in the life". Your questions clearly indicate that you have no idea what you are getting into.

If you are looking to "escape", you have picked the right place. But as far as propelling your family and offspring into the future, you may want to click your heels three times and say, 'there's no place like home". No doot abooot it!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Victoria, it has been said by others many times before in different ways and I'm saying it now. "You need to come to the island and spend some time here to test the water before you set up shop".

The D.R. does offer some unique opportunities for the entrepreneur. However, it can be quite a culture shock to go from the bounty of Canada to the Spartan life of the Dominican Republic. If you or any one of your family do not adjust, what do you do? Is your husband going practice on himself and his family?

I second Bobnoxious, saying "what is needed to live and work there...money and patience." If you are short of it in the D.R. you will go bust spiritually and economically. You will be closing up shop. Regards, PJT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast