Jaquelin going to school

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, here is something that I'd like some debate on. We've been doing some work with Jaquelin, the regular posters would remember that she is the deaf 9-year old girl that I found around the area that we live in.

Together with Project Damalbi, we've been raising some money to help her to get the necessary tests done and to go to school and to learn to communicate. There is still one more test that she needs. Thank-you again to the folks that contributed so freely.

The question is short, do I, or don't I ask her parents for a contribution? What is the right thing to do?

They both work at menial jobs and Jaquelin is the youngest. They have 5 children. I'm of the opinion that they should contribute even a little for the next phase of Jaquelin's education. It seems that if they are involved on all levels, also on the level of financial contribution, they may be more committed to the process. Jaquelin will stay with family in POP and attend the school for the deaf - as soon as we can get her placed there.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
In my opinion, the commitment that you should ask them to make is to keep her in school. Remember, this is the DR--where instead of snow days they have rain days. I would also like to see Damalbi in a school but it is useless unless her parents commit to the idea.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Contribution

Chris I am of the opinion that you should ask the parents to help. It may be a very small amount but the psychological impact would be huge. I agree that they then buy into the whole project and become much more committed to it.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
That's what I'm figuring Planner, but I don't know the Dominican Psyche well enough to judge the impact of this before I make a request.

I think the parents are committed MaineGirl - as much as they can be given the easy availability of rain days. We have about 5 young children in our immediate vicinity and they soon learnt that if they skip school, they can't come and play with my little granddaughter -- even if it rains. Since this process started, I've seen also that Jaquelin now has cleaner clothes and her hair is clean and nicely braided. At first, she was a little scruffy. It seems as if everyone found new hope, which is scary.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I agree that they should contribute. It doesn't even have to be money! It could be something they are good at - if possible. Like sparing a few eggs, or some crops or fruit. Maybe dad is a mechanic, or maybe mom can sew things. I think bartering is the oldest form of pay. If not, well, a few pesos.
I always wondered, why do they call it organ donation, but the health care system finds a million ways to charge to put it in?...
Good work everybody.
mk

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Definitely, mkohn! Figure a barter. Maybe something they can do at the school. I am unsure as to what is "kosher" in Dominican society. What if they were able to volunteer a few hours a month at the school. That would seem a good solution.

The school where I teach asks each family to give ten hours throughout the year...there's a lady who keeps track and if you don't give your ten hours they actually bill you 100 dollars.......can you believe that?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I think y'all solved the problem. Somehow I should get the parents involved in doing something small for the school. This will have two benefits I think, they will see and understand, and they will know that it does not come for free. One has to work a little for it. Oh Boy! The next challenge awaits!