Newbie here!

E

EJA

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this board. I'm A 28 yr. old Dominican Male, living in the Boston area (only been to my country once, very long time ago). However, my wife and I are planning a trip to DR in August, for our anniversary and we are planning on staying in the Coral Hamaca in Boca Chica. My wife is Puerto Rican and this will be her first trip to DR. My question is, is an All-Inclusive the best way to go for your first time? and also, I 've heard so many mixed reviews about the Hamaca so I'm kind of leary about this place could anyone recommend another AI resort in the area. We will be in DR 8/1 - 8/10 is that when "El Festival Del Merengue" takes place in Boca Chica?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. This is a great site.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Go ahead and stay at the Hamaca. It gives you the dual combination of beach and being able to visit Santo Domingo for a taste of the Colonial City. Take a taxi into Santo Domingo one early afternoon for a tour of the Cathedral, Alcazar and then have dinner at Pate Palo Restaurant in front of the Alcazar.

You may also consider renting a car for a day to visit Cueva de las Maravillas (between Juan Dolio and La Romana) and Altos de Chavon in La Romana. From Altos de Chavon you can make your way to La Marina de Casa de Campo, quite an impressive place (but this is tricky so you need to ask and ask how to do it!) You may also consider visiting Dominicus Beach (right after Viva Dominicus Palace Hotel), the public beach that is actually the best beach on the strip. To do all this you need to start early to be back before night time.

E

EJA

Thank you both for your replies.

Thanks Dolores, that information will be very helpful!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Would I be safe to say that if you don't want to drive, the cab drivers outside the hotel are more than willing to drive you around.
We met a really great guy at the Hispaniola. He was prepared with a late model minivan or his car to take you where you wanted. Actually, one of the other cab drivers took us to look for skateboards all over SDQ. Then he took us to his favorite amber shop for souvenirs. I think it was in the zona colonial, near a beautiful church. I'm sure the shop gave him a fee for taking us there. The prices were fair. You can even negotiate the prices on the amber.
Just make sure you agree in advance on a time limit and price for the cab ride. Some will even have great ideas for an itinerary. He'll make a day of it, if you make it worth his while.
mk

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you have to you have to I guess

EJA said:
My question is, is an All-Inclusive the best way to go for your first time? and also, I 've heard so many mixed reviews about the Hamaca so I'm kind of leary about this place could anyone recommend another AI resort in the area.

AI's are a waste of time all the time unless you want to hang around your neighbors from the same country , so if you can find a good price, stay in a hotel, buy meals, get to know the place.

If you DO have to, the Hamaca is the best by far. You won't complain, unless you realize that hey we are in a Comfort Inn and staring at US TV and we go to the beach and sit next to Americans, Canadians, and British. Hmmm... we could have gone to Florida.

To take a cab to the capitol, go out the Hamaca turn left and there is a cab stand with posted prices - I think for RD$1000 now you can go round trip plus 3 hours waiting time there. Some drivers have rudimentary English as well.