Who wears the pants?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
As Tony C pointed out, I was on a TV show last night that dealt with the following subject:

<b><i>Who wears the pants in the Latin American household (in the U.S.?)...</b></i>

How about we leave the last part out, and you gals and guys tell us who do you think wears the pants in the DR households?

No thrashing anyone...just honest comments, please!...

Also: What happens if the woman makes much more money than the man of the house? Who should be in charge of the sexual education of the children? Do you feel threatened by a beautiful, successful woman?

Oh, boy...I hope the moderator doesn't mind...this looks like it will be a whole week's worth of homework!!!

Ok...people...get to work!;)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That's a loaded question, MQ!

As far as our household goes, I think we're pretty equal. I handle all the finances, though, my husband wouldn't have a clue what we have and don't have for money...he likes it that way! As far as who gets who's way on things, I usually get my way, but the trick is in making him think it was his idea in the first place! You have to make them feel like they are brilliant, and you can have anything your heart desires...

As far as the religious upbringing of our children, I'm Catholic, Angel is Pentecostal, but we're going to let our children decide for themselves...I think belief in God is far more important than the following of a religion. As long as they believe there is some recourse for their actions during their life, I don't really care what Church they belong to, or if they go, for that matter.

For the sexual education of our kids, we're very open with Angelo ...I think he knows as much as we do, and he's only 8! Of course, that had very much to do with being raised for 7 years in the DR...you can't escape it!

In a typical Latin-American household, I think the men like to think they hold the upper hand...although, when you think about it, the woman rules...she generally looks after the finances, takes care of everyone in the house, and is usually in charge of religious upbringing. But the man would never admit that the woman is far more important in the house...we women know differently!

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
Musicqueen said:

How about we leave the last part out, and you gals and guys tell us who do you think wears the pants in the DR households?

Hablo de mi propia experiencia personal...My father wore the pants in the household. My mother wasn't idle by no means...she had her own career, but her main responsibility was to raise the children. When my father was at work or away on business, my mother wore the pants in the house, naturally.

Musicqueen said:
What happens if the woman makes much more money than the man of the house? Who should be in charge of the sexual education of the children? Do you feel threatened by a beautiful, successful woman?

It personally doesn't bother me if a woman happens to make more money than her husband. I've never been confronted with this situation, I'm sure it happens a lot, especially now.

Sexual education of the children...both parents should be involved with that. No if's and's or but's.

Do I feel threatened by a beautiful, successful woman? NO! Unless of course her bite is lethal...

Aunque las mujeres latinoamericanas casi han alcanzado el mismo nivel de la educaci?n que hombres, contin?an participando menos en el mercado de trabajo y ganando menos que hombres. Sin embargo, hay muchas mujeres latinoamericanas que est?n superando esto.

My two cents.

Rubio

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This is a refreshing change of pace. Thank you MQ for starting this thread ;)

Keep it coming people and like the QUEEN said keep the thrashing or trashing out of it please.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
trina said:
That's a loaded question, MQ!

In a typical Latin-American household, I think the men like to think they hold the upper hand...although, when you think about it, the woman rules...she generally looks after the finances, takes care of everyone in the house, and is usually in charge of religious upbringing. But the man would never admit that the woman is far more important in the house...we women know differently!

You are so right Trina. Latin men w/ never admit that their wives run the household, but we do and we do it with such style!

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
here's the secret........

let them THINK they are the boss while all the while you know they are NOT ;)

LOL

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You're right, ladies!

They took calls during the show, and one of the ladies that called said: Maria Elvira, I want to let you and your audience know, that in MY house, my husband wears the pants and he always has the last word...

Then she put her husband on the phone and said: isn't that right, honey...to which he answered: YES, DEAR!!!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Can't lie, my mom has my dad whipped but when me and him go to a bar or somewhere, it turns into something straight outta the Discovery Channel, searching for prey(it's me taking action with the ladies :devious: , he can't do shit anyways ) ayyy deja que yo llegue a Santo Domingo..........

I don't really care who runs the house, at this point of my life it's not a concern of mine, I'm not dating any woman right now anyways so I don't have to worry about it. I will say that women do have a run of the household in DR while men go and make the money, but now alot of them work and the scales are starting to tip and even out. I mean look at the large amount of women going to college compared to the amount of men. It's the same thing everywhere but it's a pretty big difference in DR. I read some article that somehow parallels what I just said and it's in regards to African-American women and how droves of them from all over the US are getting higher education but black males aren't doing the same so alot of them are going up the ranks in management positions and in the corporate world, the same thing is going on in the DR. They also seem to be crossing the color line and alot of mixed couples are popping up. DR is gonna change alot in the next few years and it's partly because of women in positions of leadership in companies who are gonna demand equality in the home and will get get it because they make the bread. We'll have to wait and see.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Son to father on the old folk's 50th anniversary...

"So dad, what's the secret to your lasting marriage"

"Son, in the household men should always make the important decisions while woment should be relegated to the small ones. For example, I've decided what needs to be done to end world hunger, to achieve peace in the Middle East and what to do about the enviroment. Your mom has been left to decide what we do with my money, what I will wear everyday and where we'll go on vacation."

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
I have a couple of questions of my own:

In your opinion:

1. What will bring about the total equality of the sexes?

2. How are you, personally, affected by equality/inequality?

Rubio

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
rubio said:
I have a couple of questions of my own:

In your opinion:

1. What will bring about the total equality of the sexes?

2. How are you, personally, affected by equality/inequality?

Rubio

1. It will never happen. Men and women are different. I am not saying one is better than the other(But we all know the truth) just different.

2. If you don't ley it affect you it won't.

brasi

Apr 25, 2003
I'm a male but I think women are better at wearing the pants in almost any family...although I'd rather have my eventual wife NOT wearing any pants as often as possible...hehe.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
It all depends on what you want when you get married. Strengths and weaknesses on both sides can come together in a marriage to make a complete houusehold. Why does one sex have to wear the pants? If you get a big enough pair of pants both coulsd fit into them nicely..ohh...that sounds fun. I'll have to try that one!!jejej
But really. It should be shared both household stuff and outside the house stuff. Noone needs to be thhe boss. Iquality is best don't yopu think?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Jan said:
But really. It should be shared both household stuff and outside the house stuff. Noone needs to be the boss. Iquality is best don't yopu think?

That depends, my husband travels a lot. I need to make decisions/judgement calls all the time. I need to be the boss, because when I make a decision, both of us have to stick by it. It's a necessity in our household. I am not always happy about it (I have 2 very strong willed boys) But there is no way I'm going to sit on something until my husband comes back to resolve it. Things are so different now than when we were growing up. The women play a very important role in the household.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Equality is sharing the decision and also being able to make a decision on your own without question from the significant other.
But also being able to discuss a major decision and taking in both parts. Not the man..or the woamn..saying "I'm the boss and what I say goes." I am very rebellious and when someone tells me this is the way it is and dont question me I get very agressive and defensive!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Jan said:
Equality is sharing the decision and also being able to make a decision on your own without question from the significant other.
But also being able to discuss a major decision and taking in both parts. Not the man..or the woamn..saying "I'm the boss and what I say goes." I am very rebellious and when someone tells me this is the way it is and dont question me I get very agressive and defensive!

That's good. It obviously works for you. No one has to say anything!! designating who is the boss is tasteless and asking for problems.