Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes

Hello everyone,

My name is Mary, I am Dutch and live with my family (husband and three children) in the Dominican Republic since 2001.
    I am a Breastfeeding Counsellor and would like to present you this unique initiative now available in this country.

I founded a Breastfeeding Support Group in Santo Domingo (where I live).
    The Breastfeeding Support Group offers English spoken Prenatal Breastfeeding preparation classes for couples and Mother to Mother Breastfeeding Support Group get-togethers for breastfeeding mothers.

Many (foreign) baby's are born here and I know that many of the (foreign) women miss the supportive network of their friends and family back home.

The Breastfeeding Support Group can be a meaningfull and valuable supporting network in this country and women enjoy the get-togethers while they breastfeed their child.

Pregnant women and their partner can participate in the Breastfeeding preparation class. Topics will be:
    *Benefits of human milk
    *Anatomy and physiology of the breast
    *Correct positioning and latch-on
    *Tips for dads
    *Recognizing barriers, concerns and overcoming difficulties
    *Pumping, storing and handling human milk
    *Working and Breastfeeding
    *Being hospitalised and starting out right!
    *Dominican Law on Breastfeeding (right to Breastfeed).
    etc, etc.

Participating parents recieve a "Breastfeeding Booklet to Succes" that will provide you with background information, articles and a Daily Log for the first weeks with your baby that will guide you through the first weeks of parenthood.

It is recommended to enter Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes during your last trimester of pregnancy. The cost will be RD$ 1000,- (three weekly evening sessions including the Booklet to succes)
    Joining the classes is a great opportunity to meet other couples in the same stage of life like yours, interested in the same topics!

Do you need more information or do you wish to register for the Breastfeeding classes, interested to join the Mother to Mother Breastfeeding Support group, please call me:

New classes will start soon!

549-5674 or 1-876-5550

e-mail: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Mary Broekhuijsen
    Breastfeeding Counsellor
    Breastfeeding Support Group,
    Santo Domingo

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I did not have a problem with the post, I am respecting the wishes of the Thread Starter. Future replies, deemed inappropriate will be deleted.

Thanks
    Tim H.
    Last edited by Timex; 04-30-2003 at 09:09 AM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Let me add...

We asked Mary Broekhuijsen to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Your support is most appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mary Broekhuijsen
    Breastfeeding Support Group
    Santo Domingo

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry if the original poster thought my "Humour" disrespectful, out of place & in bad taste - it was not intended to be anything other than humorous. As there had been no other posts on this "sensative" subject, I was trying to lift & support it by giving it more exposure! My deleted post (I have no problem with that), the justification / information from Tim & Rob's addendum, plus this update by me, are the only comments on this important thread & as the advertising jargon goes - "any advertising is good advertising".

Perhaps now that it has 4 posts to it, more people might join in & show more interest in what is obviously a very important subject. Are these classes being limited to "Foreigners" or can any couple join in? Are there any plans for extending the course to Santiago or Puerto Plata? - Grahame

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Grahame,

So this subject is completely new?
    It is true, it is a bit 'sensative' and it sometimes does attract weird people who can't resist trying to be funny.
    I appreciate your reply on this one.

My intentions are sincere and I'm very 'into' this subject. If there will be any discussion, I prefer a solid one with subjects that might make people re-think about not such obvious subjects like this, rather than attract attention with weird comments that have nothing to do with the intentions brought up.

I realise that not everyone thinks Breastfeeding is an interesting subject, but to whom it may concern, I think they'd also prefer a serious discussion.

Classes are not limited to foreigners but for everyone! Any pregnant couple can join and, I'm sorry, the service is only available in Santo Domingo.

Mind you, I do have my vision about future training other (breastfeeding-experienced and enthousiastic) mothers so more Breastfeeding Counsellors will be available on this Island.

Now were talking, I do like to give you something to think about:
    Did you read the article on the yesterday's daily DR1.com news?
    It was about mortality rate.
    The mortality rate for babies in the DR under one year of age has fallen to 31 per 1,000 live births. I think this is still 31 babies to much!
    Did you know that many babies in this country (and other countries) die because they did not recieve the healty Breastmilk from thier mother? Bottles are prepared with contaminated water (Caasd), unhygienic circumstances (like unproperly cleaned bottles), insufficient milkpowder (because parents really can't afford it, so they use less than they should, resulting to dehydration and diarroea).
    Babies, recieving breastmilk, grow up healthier and are in less risk of infections, allergy and respitory infections.
    The very low rate of exclusive breastfeeding (DR 28% United Nations) contributes significantly to the high incidence of diarrhea, and widespread protein-energy malnutrition.
    Did you know that 1,5 million babies die worldwide, because they were NOT breastfed. (UNICEF)...

And, don't forget: The mortality rate only refers to children that were birth- registrated. Many Dominican Parents don't registrate their baby (before the first year) so imagine how these rates will be in reality!

Sincerely,

Mary
    Breastfeeding Counsellor

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Mary I think this is a great thing you are doing.
    It would be interesting to know how many mothers do breast feed their babies in the DR.
    I breast fed my third child (older and wiser by then) and he had less colds and ear infections than the other two. It was such a treat not to have to warn up bottles in the middle of the night and when we went out for the day, no bottles to take along.

My daughter in law has breast fed her three babies till 6 months of age.
    All the best to you Mary

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

I breastfed my first for 13 months and my second for 9 months, and I think breastfeeding rocks because:
    • it's free
    • it's hygenic
    • it's portable and convenient
    • it helps you shed pregnancy pounds
    • it whips your uterus back into shape
    • it promotes mother/baby bonding
    • it may lessen chance of breast cancer
    • baby's diapers are less smelly
    • baby's spit up is less putrid
    • lesser incidence of colic
    • it makes your boobs REALLY big

Something I found interesting in the DR was that some women feel that breastfeeding is for peasants and that formula (because it costs money) is more esteemed. So backwards!

Also, while I think a class on breastfeeding is valuable and a good source of support for new mothers, I know my sisters-in-law would laugh their heads off at the thought of group instruction on something that to them is so natural. It reminds me of the derisive snickers caused by my pregnancy books. "Look, she thinks she can be a mother by reading a book!" Cua cua cua.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still breatfeeding my son, who is now 16-months-old...it is not entirely by choice that I am still breastfeeding him...if I don't readily give it to him, he takes it out of my shirt! Quite embarassing in public places! But that's an entirely different topic...

Something I found interesting in the DR was that some women feel that breastfeeding is for peasants and that formula (because it costs money) is more esteemed. So backwards!
    So true...we just visited family, and they were all shocked that I breastfeed Dominic...they were shocked, because you know, I'm a gringa, which means I'm rich in their eyes, so why would I not use formula??? I cannot believe that they don't recognize breastfeeding for the health benefits...not only for yourself, but more importantly, for your baby.

Another benefit of breastfeeding:
    Not having to get up to feed your baby!!! And of course, the look of love in your babe's eyes when you're feeding them...

Hopefully, you will get some important exposure here. Best of luck
    Trina

Post Thanks / Like

Default If our thread originator

had read the whole story in the paper she would be even more upset. 22 or 23 per 1000 die in the first month and a huge proportion die from diarreh (?)....

while this forum might be able to give the lady a point in the right directionm I would think that groups that work with community groups, CARE, the Red Cross (CRUZ ROJA), the thing that Peggy Cabral is running, and MUDE the woman's group...

In Santiago there are a couple of places that she could go, the Juan XXIII Center in Peking, a community health facility that is run by the PUCMM School of Mdeicine but administered and managed by the community....for instance. The Escuela Yaque has classes for women, and I doubt that they have ever touched breastfeeding as something important.

JaneJ, You had to put in that last one, didn't you....

HB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast