opinion on cost Cabarete oceanfront lot

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Hi all
we are planning to move to DR and have been lurking on this board for a long time, using it as a great info tool so thanks to all the regular posters ( your insights have been invaluable)but now it's time to act so 1st post here.
We recently visited DR (and caught up with Bushbaby - thanks again Grahame/Ginny won't forget the Branston!!!) and are looking to relocate to the Cabarete/Sosua area.
Have looked at a new ocean front development in Cabarete near the kite surfing beach and the land price is less than $50 US per square meter.
I think this is a good deal as most of the other oceanfront land prices were nearly double or greater than that figure.
If anyone has got any opinions it would be appreciated.
thanks

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
a half acre lot is about 115k. I know someone that has the whole enchilata on cabarete beach for that much money. Don't know if you can still do that but that just seems like a lot of moolah to me. Is the lot you are looking at ON the beach or is the Community have beach front?

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
there is currently 8 lots all with direct beachfront access just up from Kite Beach, and yes I know it's a lot of moolah but from what i've seen all other lots are $95-125 per square mtr and SeaHorse Ranch beach front is ?200+

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gjsuk said:
there is currently 8 lots all with direct beachfront access just up from Kite Beach, and yes I know it's a lot of moolah but from what i've seen all other lots are $95-125 per square mtr and SeaHorse Ranch beach front is ?200+

First off, Sea Horse Ranch isn't beach front. If anyone is telling you to compare to Sea Horse they are doing you a disservice because there isn't a comparison in all of Cabarete.

I saw a very nice lot in Sea Horse that was priced at 180k with out even an ocean view. I bought a very nice lot directly across the road from Sea Horse Ranch with a beautiful Ocean view for 15k which is less than 1/10th the price. There is no comparison my friend and I wouldnt compare mine to Sea Horse even being in such close proximity.

I think your lot is being done by Karibic? Seemed very knowledgeable but keep checking and double checking before you plunk down that money.

Edited to add:

Beach access is not beach front. What is it?

Escott

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hi Graham - you're welcome. Hope to catch up again next time!! Listen to this man Jazzcom - he's been around ... & THEN a bit!!! Wouldn't trust him not to make a profit on anything in the realty line!! Despite what he tries to make his image appear to be, he is a GOOD guy. (sorry Jazz - won't happen again!!).
US $50 per sq M DOES seem a lot to me for that area. I would have thought more US $35 - 40 was top price! Question - Do you NEED beach front/beach access? A five minute drive to the beach is FINE for me!! Think of all those psernames (spelling?? I mean the big tidal waves that are likely to come with the serious offshore eruptions eartquakes & nukes when they start flying around!!). I would prefer to be at least 2 miles in-land & up a hilltop if possible!! _ Grahame.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Tsunami

Grahaem you are talking about a tsunami.
The one expected following a BBC program is that half an island
near the canary islands is supposed to slide in the ocean
producing a tidalwave 600 meter high which will go 200 km in land when it hits North America. That one will hit the DR as well
I dont think you will be safe on your hilltop in Puerto Plata either.
This might happen tommorrow or in 500 years or not at all.
In the mean time I will enjoy my beachfront in Cabarete.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
beach front

What you are looking for I have found
there fore I might be a little biased .
I think for the right price beachfront is always better.
There is a limited supply.But there is still enough around.
I live here now on and at the beach a 15 minute beach walk
to Cabarete bay for over 5 years.
And have never regretted it.
To fall asleep with the sound of the waves is not surpassed.
The miles of beach view while having your breakfast is unbeatable.

The only thing is that there is an extra cost involved.
everything rusts twice as fast,

I needed a new motherboard for my computer every 3 months.
But I learned , there are ways to protect yourself.
The last one , I have now for more then a year and still going
strong. I probably like to upgrade before it rusts this time.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
just a little passed Cabarete . Playa Rinconada.
on the road its just after the new texaco.

For the computer protection.
I never turn it off. Its always hot. So the cold sea air will not condense.
Also parts of the board are protected with a varnish type
called transformer lacquer.
which is a perfect protection.

I was on my second outdoor security camera.and thought this was getting a little expensive.

Its still like new after a year.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
cheers guys

'she who must be obeyed' pt2 has set her heart on beach front and despite all the potential downsides..rust etc.....who am I to argue? or even dare??

yes Jazz it is with Karibic and their set up seems pretty 'kosher'...unless you know otherwise!!!and as an FYI SeaHorse has got a couple of oceanfront lots left in Phase 4 but as you know the beaches there are non-existent, so thats a no-goer for us.

as for the huge Tsumani that will happen if a large chunk of the Azores or Canary Islands does fall off, we are going be sub-mariners in Long Island, New York where we live now so no difference really.

better to face it with a Presidente in my hand than a bottle of Bud!!!!

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Hey Paul
just realised Robin and I met with you when we were with Peter and Alex a couple of weeks ago.
thanks for the advice then and the red wine!!
will catch up again next time we are down
Graham

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
If there was anything negative I would have emailed you about it. I have not nor do I know anyone that has had a bad experience with them. He seemed pretty knowledgable to me when I met with him. He pushes his own projects first which is understandable.

I am not as much a beach person as most others. I think it is too dirty and prefer a pool but I certainly understand a desire for beach front. I just can't stand sand sticking to me.

Good luck with your search but just make sure you look at all the options first.

Escott