June or october best time to come out?

laila

Mar 22, 2003
Hi, I am planning with my husband to come to visit the D.R. because we wouild like to look at some properties .
originally we were planning to come in June , we have read that being the summer and "raining season" there is a good chance of not having a good weather and because of what we want to do and see properties we believe sun and dry weather would be the best time to do it. We have read that from October it would be the best time but we are still wondering what are the chances of finding rain in June since we are really eager to come. Now i know no one can really predict the weather but could you give us some advices on what do you think of June and is it really raining a lot?
thank you we would really appreciate it.

Dec 9, 2002
I've been to POP in June for the last 2 years. As I recall, we probably had a few showers, but certainly nothing that sticks in my mind. I've also been in POP in May, October, November, December. Not much rain then either.

I don't know whereabouts you plan on going, it may be different on the South coast to the North.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Do not concern yourself over rain, unless you are the Wicked Witch of the West. However, if it rains at all, it rains for short durations. Do bring an umbrella to provide sombra (shade) from the sun.

If you want an overview of the weather by the month, click on the dr1.com logo in the upper left of the page to get to the home page and then proceed to the weather banner in the left column and click on your selected location. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I first moved to the DR in 1986, it seemed there were definite wet and dry seasons. But that is no longer the case. Just as weather patterns seem to have gone crazy in other parts of the world, so have they here. There is as good a chance of getting rain in October as in June.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since you are from England

That "come out" is a givaway....
Let it be known that it is never like England or the Northern parts of the European landmass....Holland, Belgium, norther France or Germany...never like thathere.

Always bring 30+ sunscreen, bug repellants and sunglasses-the best you can afford, since God only gave you two eyes.

June--worst case scenario? An early hurricane
October--worst case scenario? A late hurricane.

And they only last for a few hours...

Tell us where you are thinking of locating, and we can dial in on better weather informatin...Oh yes, the North Coast does not have much of a problem beyond waves, when a hurricane goes by...South Shore?? Ever hear of Andrew or Hugo or Ines?? Or David?? Or Georges", yes a girl name not a boy name...

HB

laila

Mar 22, 2003
Puerto Plata

Thank you every one for your advices, we are planning to come to the area of Puerto Plata, is raining not as bad in the north coast as the South? And hurricanes, yes, I have a little son I would like to take on our holiday so I hope hurricanes do not touch the north coast , is it true?
thank you again
Laila

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can get rain on either coast, but hurricanes much less likely to pass near Puerto Plata than the south coast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is a clue

We have a wooden house on the North Shore. It has been ther for over 35 years. It is still there.

North Shore good
South Shore bad

As far a hurricanes go.

Story, supposedly true.

When Georges came through here a few years ago, the Casa de Campo resort was hit hard. A guy arrived late in the evening a couple of days later and in spite of the receptionist's telling him that the hotel was in bad shape after the hurricane, he insisted on a room.

After midnight, the fellow called the front desk to complain that there was something wrong with the roof, since water was leaking into his room.

The front desk said: "Sir, there is no roof over your room."

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Laila - We left Sosua in April after vacationing a week. It rained every day but no more than 3-hour duration. One of the locals told me the rainy season came one month early. Anyway - i don't think it matters when you come down - they don't have weather like you and I are use to - lasting days and nights and weeks!

I personally would want to look at property after it has rained to check drainage, leaks, etc.

We just bought a vacation home near Sosua - we're from Kentucky, USA. Are you seriously looking where you have already contacted a realtor?

Hillbilly - funny story. One of the porters there told us the resort owner solicited every last employee to help in the cleanup. They had that resort up and going 3 months after the devastation.

Jan