Aquarella?

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Acuarela?

We will be in Puerto Plata in two weeks to celebrate our thirty fifth wedding anniversary. Our family Doctor who's wife is Dominican suggested we have dinner at Acuarela. I don't recall reading to much posted about this restaurant. Can anybody help me out?
John

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have eaten there

And I don't think you'll find a more beautiful setting.

It would be ideal for a nice romantic anniversary dinner.

Hb

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Welcome!

I have made reservations at Aquarella for 5/18/03 Sunday evening at 8:00. If any of the Puerto Plata locals or anyone else visiting the area would like to stop by for a drink or just to say Hi we would love to meet you!
John
P.S. Paul and H.B. Thanks for the great info.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Unfortunately the restaurant has been up for sale since the end of April. I have been told it is closed. The owners split up. Canadian Bob.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
If this is true that the restaurant is closed that is sad because Linda and Rafael were great at making any special occasion amazing.

there are other choices in the area, sosua and caberete for a nice meal. In caberete there are restaurants on the beach. in sosusa you have the cliffs all for great views and good food.

There is also Cafecito (which I am sure Tim H. would be happy to make a special meal for you, right Tim?) in Puerto Plata. There is also Papillon in Cofresi, El Rancho Steakhouse (same price as Acuarela maybe a little more).

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Reservations

I sent an email requesting the 5/18 reservations Saturday evening. I was wondering why I didn't receive a reply; I guess I now know why!
Thanks for the information, we would have taken a cab there and wasted part of the night.
Cafe Cito is a good option we ate there in Feb on our last trip, we enjoyed it very much!
John

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
to celebrate your thirty fifth wedding anniversary.
I suggest as a second option after Aquarella
go to the Waterfront in Sosua.
Its superior to cafe Cito which you mentioned as your next choice.
The difference of Burger King and a gourmet restaurant.
and you still have many other choices in Cabarete.
all deserving of a anniversary.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
John,
I was aware that Rafael & Linda had split up but NOT heard that the restaurant had closed. I will try telephoning tomorrow & confirm results one way or the other.

A restaurant WE like visiting is Blue Marlin at Haciendas Elizabeth in Cofresi - their Seafood special (mix of all their seafood) is for two & is ENORMOUS. On the seafront it has a romantic setting & the service is excellent. - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I got absolutely NO response from the telephone - always engaged!!! So I called round last night & found a workman in there. Yup, ... it is definately closed! Linda is somewhere in one of the Riu hotels, Rafael is somewhere in Sosua (or Cabarete).

Sorry John - it is one of the other restaurants I'm afraid. Give Blue Marlin a try, or if you like BIG meals, go to Papillon. Both are in the Cofresi area!! - Grahame.
Let me know where you decide & you MIGHT get me there for that drink you promised!!! - GB.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
John, I would also like to suggest the Restaurant at PierGeorgio. Same ambiance as the Waterfront but maybe a little nicer and I had the best meal there last month I had ever had in the DR. I also ate at the Waterfront 3x but preferred the Piergeogio.

Happy Anniversary!

Scott

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Thanks Scott for the suggestion. On our Feb. trip we stopped at the Piergeogio and looked around. The restaurant and the view are both beautiful.
John

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Paul,

That was because they only would seat me/us infront of a dope playing music that was loud and nasty. Another time friends took me to dinner at Waterfront.

It would have been 2-2 instead of 1-3, could have been easily 3-1. Nothing wrong with Waterfront except for the food not being as nice as at PierGeorgio. Chicken and fish is usually over cooked at Waterfront but considering that still tasty.

Robert and I tried to eat at PG and ended up at Waterfront.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I'll vouch for Pier Georgio also John........

Scenery is fantastic and the food was excellant!!
As nice a meal as I've had almost anywhere I've been.
Reservations might ensure that you don't end up directly infront of the music makers!!
Congrats and enjoy!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Nah not reservations. It was threatening to rain and they wouldnt sit us NOT under cover. I would have taken the chance:)

Edited to add:

Have that anniversary dinner on a clear night and you won't have a problem.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I heard that Rancho Steakhouse also closed, dang!

Where do I eat now in POP?

I'm in the Cofresi area so I guess its Los Dos and Papillon..AGAIN. sigh

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
P.S.

Been there and back! Last Sunday evening 5/18/03 we had a wonderful dinner at the Blue Marlin, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. (Thanks to Bush Baby for the recommendation) The food and the ambience were all we could have asked for. Getting to the restaurant was a bit of an adventure as ALL the lights from the cab drop point to the restaurant were off, we walked through pitch darkness until we came to the restaurant.
I have spent my life just a few blocks from Long Island Sound and that was the best fish I have ever eaten!!
John