New Ferry Service DR to San Juan

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
sunnyblue said:
For schedule info and reservations, what is the website or telephone number? Thanks!

google search on this:

ferry puerto rico to dominican republic

and the first hit is the info.

Good advice generally before posting.

The one way cost for just a person seems more than flying, which takes 1 vs. 14 hours.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: what about the car?

Montessorian said:
If one took the ferry from PR to DR, can you get your PR car into the DR with out the big hassle that bringing it from the US gives?

I'd have to assume if the car has PR plates and you are visiting with the car they'd have no great big deal about it.

Otherwise the utility of a car ferry would be pretty dubious as not that many people would be moving and importing cars every single day it runs. You can call the PR # and ask if there are any usual untoward thigs that happen on the DR end but you are likely to be OK.

I'd be more concerned about my car insurance and the risk of 84 accidents per week in the DR unless they drive like that too in PR. Is the car covered in a foreign country?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: Re: what about the car?

ricktoronto said:
I'd be more concerned about my car insurance and the risk of 84 accidents per week in the DR unless they drive like that too in PR. Is the car covered in a foreign country?

I vaguely remember there was a news blurb a few weeks ago that the Dominican Gov't was requiring visiting cars of foreign registration entering the country (from the ferry) to take out an insurance policy. I am repeating myself, it is a vague recollection, for all I know it was the Puerto Rican authorities requiring the insurance for Dominican vehicles. I'm sure one of the other posters can jog my memory and provide better information. Regards, PJT

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
There is a ferry but not from San Juan

I think the departure from puerto Rico is at Mayaguez or something like this. It is a 90 kilometers route fron San Juan. They have a web site that I have seen once but I can't find it right now. Yes you can have your car on board and I would not be afraid for security. Try a forum on a Puerto Rican site.
Good luck