Student with appropraite attire questions

mnazabroad

May 2, 2003
I'm a female student from the United States who will be spending 7 weeks in Santiago this summer, studying at Pontificia Universidad Cat?lica Madre y Maestra. I'm looking for some guidelines for appropriate dress for the summer . . . I've spent many summers in Arizona, so I'm used to wearing shorts and tank tops to minimize the effects of the heat, but I'm concerned that this may not be appropriate for my summer in the Dominican Republic. If any of you can help me at all in this respect, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks a million!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
In my experience, jeans, slacks and skirts are preferable to shorts (unless you are home or on the beach.) Sleeveless shirts are ok in my book but spaghetti strap tanks are not (unless I am napping). When you get there, copy someone you admire and respect in the manner in which they dress. The shorts and t-shirt culture of the States doesn't exist in the DR as far as I can tell (unless you are a tourist). And forget about rolling out of bed and going to class in your pj's, like I did when I was in college.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I don't remember how they dressed, didn't have a chance to note. When I drove by the place and glanced sideways to admire the view, my wife noticed and told me to pay attention to the road. One of the Santiago locals will be able to assist you more in this matter.

I would surmise, you will be attending a Catholic university and the dress code would be modest, meaning at least that shorts, above the knee dresses, and sleeveless blouses will be off limits.
Regards, PJT

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
button down shirts, short sleeved are popular and thight jeans and pants. Bring a little extra spending money and you can quickly pick up a couple of outfits from the shops at a very reasonable price, but just a word of warning, most clothes are made for small petite women, and the sizing is different when it comes to pants and tops. A Large top in the DR could be a xs in the U.S. Same goes for big feet....there aren't that many larger sizes for shoes.

In Santo Domingo it's best to dress a little conservative if you are sight seeing, some of the national monumnets and areas of interest will not let you enter if you have shorts and sneakers on, but a skirt is fine, and a short skirt even better!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola mnazabroad!!!!!!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 3,674, Threads: 21,773, Posts: 127,644

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
as a former student of La PUCMM aka la ucamaima my advice to you is wear what is comfortable. However Santiago is not a beach town. you will not see many people running around in shorts and tanks tops. Jeans and tanks yes but shorts not usually except around the house. Short sleeve shirts are also fine to wear.

Get some skirts or summer dresses I personally only wear dresses and skirts in Santiago, but some exchange student women don't like them, and some light weight summer jeans and pants. That will be good for school. Now when you go out you should get fashionable cute clothes. Santiago is very very fashio forward. There is also some places to shop while you are there if you feel that you need new clothes, they can be a little over priced but right now I find the prices to be pretty reasonable with the current exchange rate. There are many stores that have lots of clothes different sizes put in the time and do some searching you may come up with some of the cutest outfits, whenever I am back ion the states I get tons of compliments on the little pieces I pick up on Calle del Sol.

Feel free to PM me with any questions

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I spent a couple of years and PUCMM, and basically I think if you dress like you have almost no imagination at all then you will fit in fine, kind of similar to the way people dress at the engineering campus of a large university.

Since you are a foreigner I think you should take advantage of dressing however you want and then if people don't like it they'll think it's cuz your not from here instead of thinking you're wierd.

In any case PUCMM students are very polite and well behaved people, and will be nice to you no matter what you wear.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm too old to know much, however

Since I have been teaching there for 40 years, I think I can remember how my students dressed this past semester.

95% jeans, comfortable sandals and shoes, usually open, often times Nikes or other same type athletic shoe.

T shirts, Lots of belly buttons showing. some really low riders, but not majority. The exchange students were generally the least dressy of the students, very easy to spot...

One lovely lady did come to class one evening in really short shorts but just that once. Besides the mosquitos have to live, I suppose.

For evenings out to the better places, your good cocktail dress and heels. A light sweater for the bus to Santo Domingo or up at Camp David or most air-conditiones places. You could probably do the 7 weeks with 4 jeans a dozen tshirts a pair of Nikes and a couple of nice dresses....and heels.

Good luck,

HB (feel free to ask anything in a PM or email..)