> prepare to be repelled!!!!!
>
>
>
> Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets...Best thing ever used in
> Louisiana..just wipe on & go...Great for Babies
>

> Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day
> April through October . He said it works. He was right.
> Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it.
> Every one he has talked into trying it works on them.
> Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)
>
>
>
>
> If you eat bananas,
> the mosquitoes like you, - something about the banana oil
> as your body processes it.
> Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitoes
> will be much less interested.
>
>
>
>
> This is going to floor you, but one of the best
> insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods
> every day), is Vick's Vaporub.
>
>
> Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off
> a smell that bugs do not like,
> so plant some in that garden also to help ward
> off bugs without using insecticides.
>
>
>
> "Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time
> "camping out" say that the very best mosquito
> repellant you can use is
> Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about
> half and half with alcohol.
>
>
>
> One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered
> is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks,
> don't know about other insects.
>
> When all else fails--get a frog

Anybody know any other methods to get rid of these buzzers?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I use Avon Skin so soft diluted with water (1:5 parts water) this works very well and also repels biting midges which are often the biggest problem as they are silent & love yo lurk under tables. If you do get bitten, the best antidote is a weak solution of ammonia which instantly kills the itch. I use "After Bite" which is a plastic "Pen" with an ammonia soaked sponge tip, available in Canadian pharmacies & sporting goods stores. Canadian Bob.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The mosquitoes and sand gnats in Florida and the Bahamas are so voracious that Skin So Soft and other remedies described above don't even phase them. I've tried many different remedies and the only thing I've found that really works is Cutter's Sportsman or Deep Woods Off (Johnson & Johnson) repellents, the heavy duty versions.

Even with these sprays, the last time a friend and I ventured deep into some swampy Florida woods out turkey hunting, 5 mosquitoes picked him up and damn near carried him away before I hit them with a load of buckshot!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I remember putting on some of the Avon stuff whilst on a farm in Australia. The guy on the farm laughed and said they love that stuff, their be licking it off in 2 mins, he was right. He gave me some Deep Woods, smelt bad but did the trick.

I also tried Vitamin B-1 and it appeared to work. Apparently related to when you sweat.

I still get bit here now and again, but it appears I have become immune to the itchy part. Still get the bump, but never bothers me, unless it's on my in-step or fingers.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
In africa we planted Eucalyptus (Sp?) around our house and it seems to keep the mosquitoes away most of the time.

But I've found nothing to work better than army issued DEET, which my father once used to fix his broken watch band, it can melt certain types of plastic.

In the DR I rarely used anything, during dusk and dawn one usually wore long sleeves when they were bad, but didn't have much of a problem with them...

marigolds work well too...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are a few things

I have used good creamy sun block with success. Especially on the golf course.

Skin so soft, eeehhh, not tood good here.

There is a Dominican product that stinks but the post above that mentions fixing plastic watch chrystals reminded me of it. "Deportivo" it is dirt cheap and works. Just don't rest your arms on any painted surface or on any hard plastics.....You can find it in most bodegas and supermercados.

Smudge fires work at times. And thos spirals, too....

Good Luck,

HB

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I love essential oils and during my last trip, I brought down 1 bottle of each: lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, and thyme oils. After taking a shower, I would add a couple of drops of lemongrass to the floor of the shower. The heat from the shower releases the aroma into the air. Also, at night, I would boil some water, fills some cups with the boiling water, add a couple of drops of each essential oil (listed above), and placed them strategically by the windows and doors. When doing laundry, I would dab some lavender oil onto my ankles to discourage mosquitoes from making a meal out of me. Also, I would make a blend with the same oils (water and oil) and sprayed it on me and my clothes when heading outside. When it was really bad, I would mix the essential oils with almond oil and rub directly into the skin (night time prevention).

Lavender oil is also good applied directly to the bite.

Dec 9, 2002
I think maybe the mozzies just kinda like the taste of me then. I've tried Avon Skin-So-Soft still got bitten, Vitamin B1 still got bitten, all sorts of formulations containing DEET (anything from 5% up to 95%) still got bitten, I even got hold of stuff from a friend in the British Army (don't know what it was but he reckoned it gets issued when they go in the jungles) and still got bitten.

So now, I just put up with it. I've found a good little device to apply to the bites though, it's called "Zanza Click" and it's a little green plastic thing. You put it over the bite, press the button on the top, and gives off some sort of "electrical" spark which takes away the itch. Brilliant.

farrierlady

Dec 19, 2003
When I came to dr the first time, I tried everything on the market... but the one thing that really worked, was just plain, normal vanilla. Not just the one you buy in Mexico, the one you buy in any story in dr are just as good - and much cheaper than any other thing! So I highly recomend vanilla - costs nothing and the best you can get!!!!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When in the resorts

Just rub on the skin a little 151 (Don't drink it) it works like a charm....

Gringo

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
When going into mosquito infested areas I finally hit upon a solution that worksfor me 100% of the time. I never have had another bite when I use this method.

I just take Jose along with me. Those little Domican mosquito buggars leave me completely alone and chew him up. Apparently they think that Haitian blood is much sweeter and tastier than old gringo blood.

He's starting to get wise to the scheme though. Hehehehe.

Tom (aka XR)

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
I remember being in the woods of Savannah,Georgia while I was in the ARMY and some of my buddies would use Avon Skin-So-Soft and the others would just bathe in heavy duty OFF. Some of the really crazy ones would eat the heads of matches because according to them the sulphur or wathever chemical the matches were made out off would be sweated by the skin and keep the mosquitoes away.

It's funny I remember when I was young that no matter how many mosquitoes bit me it wouldn't even bother me. Now because I'm not use to it everytime one of them bites me it itches for an hour and the bump is the size of a quarter. Can't wait to try all these tips when I get there.

Ramon

samoya

Jul 7, 2006
How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes

There are a number of different actions to take when dealing with mosquitoes. Some of the more common ways to control mosquito populations are:
1. draining or treating standing water sources like ponds and small swamps.
2. fogging or "dusting" your yard with either a mosquito larvae/adulticide insecticide.
3. citranella candles burning in the evening are known to repel mosquitoes.
4. using Skin-so-Soft is supposed to be the less dangerous of mosquito repellents.

Other ways of getting rid of mosquitoes and controlling mosquito populations can be found at www.getridofthings.com/pests.htm a section of a site dedicated to getting rid of pests.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
It is a known fact that bad odors are a surefire repellent. Just don't shower as often and they won't bite you as often.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
This may sound wacky, but I have noticed it at work.

If you eliminate sugar from your diet, you are less attractive to mosquitoes. I limit sugar, usually for other reasons, and am always the one person that the skeeters leave alone.

As soon as I add a bit of sugar to my diet, they come after me.

? Any explanations? Can they smell sugar? I dunno, just know it works.

torge1ce

Nov 6, 2006
Because bug spray is so expensive we started using watered down shampoo. It has to be the clear stuff and not fruity smelling. It works pretty well and is very inexpensive.