US citizen looking for a job in DR, suggestions?

hoganfl

May 4, 2003
Hello everyone, my name is Del and i'm a resident of the US, not that good in speaking spanish but i'm learning, I also have a bachelors degree in health science and minor in business, the reason for me joining this board is to meet people and develop contacts in hopes of finding a career in DR, im very open to change and will look into any lead, oh by the way i'm a sales rep for Xerox, and did I mention I like the Domincan Republic? I look forward to any and all replies, thanks again ladies and gentlemen!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Your chances are slim to none if seeking a professional-level job on your own. Your best bet is to see if Xerox will send you here in some capacity. You might find work as a bartended or something like that, but your post indicates that isn't what you have in mind.

This is a Spanish-speaking country. Until you are proficient in Spanish, I wouldn't give you much hope of finding anything close to what you are looking for. Even then it won't be easy. Jobs are hard for anyone to find in this country, including graduates of Dominican colleges and unversities.

hoganfl

May 4, 2003
Thanks for the reply

So what other things you think I can explore, i'm not particular in what profession I take, and i'm not moving down for the money although i'm not looking to move into a shithole either.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is very little help you can get from this board. You need to come down for an extended stay and really investigate your options and possibilities.

You say that you really like the DR. On what do you base this. Is your experience here a couple of vacation visits, possibly spent in All-Inclusive hotels, or have you spent the time here necessary to know what it would be like if you lived here.

This country each year produces more lawyers, and other professionals than it can use. They often have to take jobs working on reception desks in hotels or other jobs in tourism. Or anything else they can find.

You don't speak Spanish sufficient to hold a good job, you have limited professional education, and you have no family or friends here that can open doors for you.

I normally try to be as positive and encouraging as I can, but in your case this is very difficult for the reasons mentioned. If you want to gamble anyway, then you must come down here with sufficient money to support yourself for at least 6 or 8 months, and you need to use that time investigating every possibility.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
For sure you aren't

hoganfl said:
So what other things you think I can explore, i'm not particular in what profession I take, and i'm not moving down for the money although i'm not looking to move into a shithole either.

The pay is quite poor unless like suggested you got an ex-pat job with an American employer like yours. In addition if you cannot speak the language the hopes are pretty grim for any job and living day to day as well.

The minimum wage is about RD$3000 a month in the DR, so divide that by 25 to get US$. Bupkus.

You don't have to use vulgarity as well, to make your point.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola hoganfi!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 3,674, Threads: 21,773, Posts: 127,644

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

E

eye4photography

I don't live in DR (yet) but I agree with much of what was posted in response.

Let me tell you my plan of action and maybe it'll be helpful for you as well.

1) I think the first step is to make contacts both in DR and out of DR with people with ties there. I'm actively networking to accomplish this as we speak.

2) Langauge, language, language. I don't speak spanish well at all but I'm spending 24 weeks with Berlitz and 4 weeks in DR with an immersion program afterwards. Even after all that I only expect to be moderately functional. The rest will have to come with time and practice.

3) Visit frequently and go to places outside of the resort towns. I have 2 trips planned for this year and 5 or so for next year. I will use that time to build on my spanish, strenghthen my relationships with people I meet there and become acclimated with the culture.

4) Promote, promote, promote. I have had my resume completely revamped and translated into spanish. I am contacting companies native to DR as well as foreign using all the usual tricks to get noticed and on someone's mind.

5) Set realistic expectations. I have given myself 24 months from this past January to determine if it still makes sense to go to DR. In other words I like DR and would love to live there but only the next 24 months of doing the above will ultimately tell me if it still makes sense to do so either from a financial point of view (not to be rich just to be able to live comfortably) and culturally.

6) Oh and it helps that I'm networking with others that are planning to expatriate although not to DR.

I hope that helps.

-eye-

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Don't Understand

When they receive this revamped resume in espanol and they want to call you now and you cannot talk to them do they wait for 2 years to hire you?

And best of luck with 24 weekly Berlitz session and a month in house making you fluent in business Spanish to be able to negotiate etc.

And this plan still does not deal with the fact the pay is substandard and the rice and beans advice wasn't kidding.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
eye4photography, there is nothing wrong with your plan. What I think ricktoronto is saying is that you are getting ahead of yourself. Instead of doing all the things in your plan at the same time, it would be best to first concentrate on those parts that will make you better qualified/more desirable.

The trips you have planned are an excellent idea, and using those trips to get acquainted and see what is available will be beneficial.But going all out with mass mailing of resumes in Spanish, etc., is, in my opinion, premature. And a reject now because you don't meet the basic language requirements may hurt your chances of being considered by those same employers in the future.

Additionally, keep in mind that this is a poor time to be job searching in the DR. The country is experiencing many economic problems right now and many businesses are laying off or closing down. The pool of qualified Dominicans seeking employment gets bigger every day.

Slow down. If you want to make a like for yourself in the DR, give yourself a chance to get better prepared so that you will be more likely to find what you are looking for.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola hoganfl & eye4photography!!!!!!!!

I agree with what the Pro's said above.

A couple of other point?s.

1, Try to partner with a company back in the U.S. that is established in one of the many FREE TRADE ZONES.

2, Don't flood the market down here with your resume.
My Human Resource Dept, can pull 1 sent in the last 8 years.

We also require
A, A photo attached to the Resume.
B, A letter of Good Conduct from the Police Dept.
C, If I see somebody, I am interested in, they must take a
Aptitude & Profile test.
D, A photocopy of ANY degree's, and certifications, you may hold.
If it's not in the folder, we can't consider it.
E, A letter of reference from as many past employers's as you can get. Oh and they will make phone calls to verify them.

That above list is almost mandatory for a large company, before they will even consider you.
From when I do the 1st interview, and tell them to get me that person, till they are hired, usually takes about 30 day's.

Check back to this Forum, after SUNDAY, you will find a New Group of links titled, WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.
On this STICKY

Or start searching the Archives if you can't wait.

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

hoganfl

May 4, 2003
Hey Timex

Who do you work for by the way, and are there anybody working for an ameriacn company on this board?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Right!!!!!!!!!!

I was asked by a good friend of mine to come down here for over 2 years, before I would say yes.

I am in manufacturing.

And if you had SEARCHED the ARCHIVES, you would have found this............................

*********CUT & PASTED from an earlier post.*********

Outside of the weekly payroll, we pay almost 800 people weekly, not bi-weekly like most do. The electric bill is our highest expense. We run 7 disciplines of manufacturing under 1 roof.
We have,

A Metal shop with 15 Punch Presses, 4 Guillotines, for cutting to size, 4 Brake presses for small runs. Also in there is 8 industrial Spot Welders, busy all day long.

Then there is a Powder Coating line with Wash Down and Drying Ovens all on a continuous conveyer.

We have a Printing Dept, that cuts and prints every thing from Packing boxes, Merchandise boxes, Instructions, every single piece of cardboard and paper we use.

The PCB Department, 10 lines of CNC Circuit board, component placement machines (Chip-Shooters), they feed the Wave solder?s.

A Microwave & RF assemby dept, for wireless communication devices.

A Molding Dept, 12 Injection molding machines, what doesn?t go in metal, goes in plastic.

A huge Assembly Dept, where all of the stuff is made into final finished goods.

This is all suported by a central Engineering and QC Departments.

A Maintenance Dept, to support the auxilleries and each department.

Four 50Hp Air compressor?s, Two 50Hp Vacuum generators, and Four 3000Kw Standby Generators.

I have not seen such a variety of Engineering Disciplines, under 1 roof, anywhere else in the DR, yet. I?m still looking.

As for Americans down here working for U.S. Companies. A whole bunch.

Thats all I will say about WHO I work for kid.
Now get outta here kid, your botherin me.
W.C. Fields

Thanks
Tim H.:bandit:

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Don't wait!!!!!!

Don't wait till Sunday, I have 2 links up already!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check back to this Forum, after SUNDAY, you will find a New Group of links titled, WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.
On this STICKY

Let me know if you found it!!!!!
*FREE TRADE ZONE LIST*
17 PAGES IN PDF FORMAT, BROKEN DOWN BY
FREE ZONE PARK-COMPANY-CONTACT- PHONE/FAX-EMAIL- ACTIVITIES

Now get outta here kid, your botherin me.
W.C. Fields

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks
Tim H

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Well????????

Let me know if you found it!!!!!
*FREE TRADE ZONE LIST*
17 PAGES IN PDF FORMAT, BROKEN DOWN BY
FREE ZONE PARK-COMPANY-CONTACT- PHONE/FAX-EMAIL- ACTIVITIES

I guess you didn't find it????

Tim H.:confused:

E

eye4photography

Sorry Guys, I've been so busy with work I haven't been online in awhile. I read through the responses to my post. Thanks for the insite. Also, note that I'm not in a do or die mode of getting to DR. For me it's about research, trying some things, making some mistakes and learning from them. If it doesn't pan out to be a viable option to live and work in DR for me then so be it.

Also, I'm not as much focused on finding a job in DR as having an opportunity to see how my skills may translate into starting a business that can be supported from DR. I have a number of contacts throughout the caribean and some growing in Brazil and other parts of South America. I'm also keeping an eye on Cuba for the future.

DR is more about positioning. I want to live in the area that I intend to conduct business.

Please toss some more food for thought my way. It's all appreciated.

BTW
I'll be in Satiago May 22-27th. Let me know if any of you want to connect a face to a name. I'll check the board before I fly out tomorrow morning to see if anyone is available.

-eye-