Vessel Inspection

Tom LOng

May 4, 2003
prodiving.com
My company is coming over to Puerto Plata to do an ABS inspection on a vessel. This will involve three or four US citizens, some equipment that will come as checked baggage and will take one or two days. What do we need to do to accomplish this without hassles and without getting our equipment seized. Thanks.
Tom Long

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
One post is lots, thanks

The regulars read all new posts as the primary activity is to read new posts so under Business and Legal is not required.

Especially with two different subject and the same message so the natural instinct is to read both.

If anyone can offer assistance they will, given people more than a few hours. (Original posting was only 5 hours ago).

Tom LOng

May 4, 2003
prodiving.com
My intention was to get an opinion from the attorney that appears to moderate the legal forum and to get other information from the other site. What is your responsibility here.
Tom Long

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Tom, just walk through customs like you own the joint and more likely than not they wont even check your bags. Just check on your entry that you are there for business and if you get stopped in customs just say that you are just there for business and everything goes back to the states with you.

How about giving me a job? I like vessels and travel!:)

Good luck,
Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tom, we go in and out with sets of samples or certain tools all the time.

We usually have a commercial invoice detailing the items - saying clearly not for resale and showing a value of 0. This is usually sufficient if we get asked at the luggage inspection.

If this is clearly not sufficient to satisfy the officials, ask to speak to the head of customs of the airport that you are flying into. Explain that the items are to be used and taken out of the country a few days later. The head of customs may want you to temporarily import the items and will decide on an amount. Pay this and you have your stuff. Ask them how to claim your money when you leave. They probably don't know. When you leave, go to the airport an hour or two earlier to try and get your money back. You may, or may not get it back. Consider this the cost of doing business as the process to claim back, may not be worth the trouble for a few dollars.

You may be really lucky and walk through without a customs inspection. This has happened to my husband and some sales people a few times at POP airport.

It will be helpful if you have someone with you that speaks Spanish.

The absolute best way is to carry it with you in a computer like back-pack. Often they don't even glance at what is on your shoulders.