Holiday cash

hector

Apr 19, 2003
I'm off to DR at the end of May for a holiday. What is the best form of money to take with me?

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
DOLLARDS OR EVEN BETTER EUROS.............
But if you're lazy like me take your Check Card or Credit Cards they all do great, with the cards the dollard to pesos exchange rate will be around RD$21.00 per US $1.00 is much better to go ahead and do the street exchange but if you don't know the trade and if you look like a dumb hillbilly tourist with a margarita xchange your cash at the airport and hop on the bus towards your destination and keep your card close to you.

sorry if i sounded alittle harsh........................

Erickxson (not the cheap cellular)

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
US Dollars work well

and are nearly universally accepted should you wish/need to pay by cash. The exchange rate has been varying between $RD 24 to 25 pesos to the dollar.

I exhanged dollars for pesos at Las Americas airport about 10 days ago at the rate of $RD 24.80 per dollar.

Swede

kieron

Apr 18, 2003
Hi,
I'm coming from london in 2 weeks time. I have my ATM card and Visa card but will I get a good exchange rate or will I be better off with US dollar in cash also My ATM card is on the LINK/PLUS system will it work there?
cheers
Kieron

hector

Apr 19, 2003
It sounds like sterling is a no no.

If I go for dollars would travellers cheques be safer than cash?

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
good question

Good question ......I too am traveling soon and I plan to take a decent amount of cash.... now should I just take a couple of hundred dollars and leave the rest in the bank (citibank) or travel with all my cash? Or travel with checks?
How do I withdraw ? any fees?
I am staying with family in Santiago & Puerto Plata & the Capital.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
If all of you would go to the archives (hit Search button above and type in "money"), you will find a wealth of advice. On our visits to DR from the states, we have followed the DR1 advice and never had any problems. Here it is:

Take half cash/half traveler checks (for safety purposes).

Exchange to pesos "as you go". You don't want to have alot of pesos at end of trip - many places won't give you dollars back.

Your ATM/Debit cards may or may not work - even if it is in your network. Ours never has. But if you try, use a machine at a bank during business hours because sometimes the machine won't give you your card back. I don't know what the ATM fee is since our card has never worked. However, if you go in the bank, you can give them the ATM card and they'll run it through their machine. It has always worked that way.

We exchange our cash/travelers at banks only. Many times they are the best rate and we don't have to worry about counterfeit.

Refrain from using credit cards. Your company will impose about a 10% exchange fee; they will charge you what the world monetary rate is - not what the local bank or newspaper says. You may get burned on this. Also, don't use "cash advance". You not only will get the 10% fee, but also a stiff finance charge will be added that begins that day. If you pay off your credit card at end of month, you still have to pay the cash advance finance charge.

Dec 9, 2002
kieron said:
Hi,
I'm coming from london in 2 weeks time. I have my ATM card and Visa card but will I get a good exchange rate or will I be better off with US dollar in cash also My ATM card is on the LINK/PLUS system will it work there?
cheers
Kieron
Hi Kieron, your Link card will not work in the DR. I visit regularly and always take US$ cash and travellers cheques.

kieron

Apr 18, 2003
Sterling exchange

Hi Guys,

What about euros I have some in Ireland and that would avoid changing to USD and then RD$. Are euros readily exchangable in cash and Traveller cheque form?
Roll on 25th May Cabarete here I come
;)
kieron

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Well....

Take US Quarters. A whole bunch of rolls of quarters. Each quarter is like a dominican peso, 40 to a roll. And if somebody jumps you, you can use them to beat 'em into submission. Keep them in a sock and you have an equalizer. Just a thought.

Dec 9, 2002
I don't know about Euros, I've never taken them, but the good thing about US$ is that you can spend them in loads of places without having to exchange them into pesos beforehand.

Doreen

Jan 29, 2002
kieron

I traveled with Euros in March and got a better exchange rate than Dollar (1?=23 pesos, I heard it is now over 26 pesos). So no need to change to Dollars and than to pesos.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I was in the DR a couple of weeks ago. ..

NEVER change at a BANK unless you want to LOSE MONEY...
Cambios will give substantially more bang for your buck either in Dollar or Euro.

Euros do NOT pay the same percentage over the US Dollar as they should. They give you a way better rate on the US dollar.

Travelers Checks sometimes get a better exchange rate than Dollars. I don't know why but they do at times. Some banks don't want to take Travelers Checks even when you have an account with them. THis happened to me at Banco Santa Cruz. I have no problem at a Cambio with travelers checks and get a better rate.

Western Union gives a good rate along with private cambios. Ask people that own businesses in the town where to go.

Have fun!