Ist trip to DR, need advice

moet500

May 6, 2003
I just booked a trip to DR tonight. I've never been before and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been reading the comments regarding the all inclusive vacations and I must admit that's what I purchased. I booked a room for next week at the Marien Coral by the Hilton in Puerto Plata. If any one has any feedback about this location that would be great. I was also wondering what the night life is like. Some resorts I looked at mentioned shark and dolphin encounters, is there anything offered llike this in the area I'll be in? Are the beaches safe for swimming in this area. Any imput would be nice, judging by what everyone's written most of you know the Dominican Republic very well, any advice would be great! Thanks

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Hi,

The night life is excellent in Sosua and Cabarete. You can get a taxi to both - only takes 10 minutes).

Beaches are safe for swimming. Sharks are found on the south of island not north.

Have a good trip!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just the standard stuff

Bring the following:
Bug spray for the evenings
Sun block 30+ for any time you are outside. You will burn in 15 minutes. A bad sunburn not only can cause wrinkeles and skin cancers down the road, it can also make your stay very painful. No need to get lobster red.
Sun glasses-the best you can afford.

Good walking shoes so you can get out and about.

Oh man, are you going to have fun.

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hey, a real man uses baby lotion instead of 30 sunblock. Screw the sharks, these sharks should be more afraid of you.

Try and get out a few nights. It is very safe and cheap to go out in the DR. Make a few friends and share a cab to Sosua or Cabarete.

The Dominican Republic is a great place if you don't get saddled into the AI and can make things right paying for a dinner 2x (once in the AI and another time at a restaurant) and get the hell out of the joint. You will get to see what you would have missed! There are many places on the Malecon that serves decent food along with many other restaurants in town. I am sure you will get some recommendations here.

Have fun!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Sharks...

You will find sharks in the south. Don't worry, unless you go diving you will not see them. Nurse, blacktip and hammerheads.

I hear up north you might find the odd whale shark when diving.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There are sharks on the north coast

We refer to them as Sankies or Tigres depending whether you are male or female. Don't worry they won't eat you............well............ I'm outta here

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Sharks...

Robert said:
You will find sharks in the south. Don't worry, unless you go diving you will not see them. Nurse, blacktip and hammerheads.

I hear up north you might find the odd whale shark when diving.

I have also seen Silky, Spinner, BonnetHead, Caribbean Reef and Tiger Sharks off of both the North and south coasts.

Don't Forget the Great Whites and Mako's that follow the Humpback whales to their Calving Grounds. Never seen a Great White But I have seen many a Mako off of Samana

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Re: Sharks...

Tony C said:
I have also seen Silky, Spinner, BonnetHead, Caribbean Reef and Tiger Sharks off of both the North and south coasts.
Plenty of Bull Sharks also.
Don't Forget the Great Whites and Mako's that follow the Humpback whales to their Calving Grounds. Never seen a Great White But I have seen many a Mako off of Samana