Gated Real Estate developments in Sosua/Caberete

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
Does anyone know of gated real estate developments in the Sosua/Caberete area? I am looking for 24 hour security, electricity and their own water supply. I would also like the development to rent my property out for me when I am not there. I would appreciate any contact info i.e. phone numbers and web sites. Thanks

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Sosua/Cabarete

We have a place in the Pro Cab Development in Cabarete. There is an agent who administers the development. Perhaps he knows of something. Here is their link:

http://www.agencerd.com/english/frameset.html

I also know of the Casa Linda Development and the Lomas Mironas Development. Casa Linda is a little more established with the security, etc. Juan Perdomo takes care of the Lomas Mironas development. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Good luck! :cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You didn't indicate the price range you are interested in.

If you are thinking about spending at least US$200,000, then Sea Horse Ranch would be your choice. If your budget is much less than that, then Casa Linda is a very good possibility. I recommend that you contact Dean Brown at islandcruisers@hotmail.com. He's an American expatriate, is with Perdomo Realty, and is the Century 21 representative for the North Coast. He is very honest and highly reliable.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I sold my house in Casa Linda a few months ago. I got a nice size down payment and agreed to provide financing to the buyer. He has not made the first two payments so it might be my house again soon. It's a sweet little 2BR 2 bath in a great little neighborhood. E-mail me if you would like more details. I hope this isn't spamming.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ken, the cheapest lot in Sea Horse I saw was 180k. There are building restrictions that limit the size to at least another 120k. I haven't seen a resale under 300k.

FWIW

Scott

Last edited:

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
Sosua/Caberete

Thanks for the info everybody. I will start to look into the contact info that was supplied. Does anyone have any idea of the occupancy on the rentals in Sea Horse Ranch, Casa Linda, Pro Cab Development and Lomas Mironas? In other words if I wanted to rent my property out in one of these developments is there a high demand for renting property there? I would think in The Sea Horse Ranch there probably is not because it would be very expensive to rent a property there and most people who could afford it go to other islands in the Carribean.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are right, jazzcom, my figures were out of date. There used to be a couple of houses selling for around 250K, but now there is nothing for under 300K.

Casa Linda has two sections. There are new homes being built which are selliing for up to 165K, and there is the section developed a few years ago where the homes--though very much like those in the new section--are selling for under 100K. I would think that rental possibilities would be good since rental prices would be more in line with the financial resources of the majority of the people coming here. When you contact Dean Brown, ask him about rental possibilities. He has access to information on the subject.

The website for Sea Horse Ranch is http://www.sea-horse-ranch.com/index.php

Wherever you invest, if you are looking for someone to manage the rental property, I can highly recommend a Canadian expatriate who has been managing properties in Sea Horse Ranch and elsewhere in the Sosua area for many years.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I hear the rental business is doing well at Sea Horse. I suggest you speak directly to Lisa Kirkman as she manages this side of the business.

Toll Free from the U.S.: (800) 635-0991

Tel: (809) 571-3880

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
NY Yankee - We just bought a house in Casa Linda. It has everything you requested and a rental management service. We didn't own it 2 weeks when we were already getting requests from DR1 members requesting long-term rental, which we declined. This project has high rental occupancy (mostly long term)

Ken mentioned Dean Brown, the realtor at Century21. He was our realtor and fantastic. Go to their web site for pictures of all their houses for sale in Sosua/Cabarete area: Century21 Real Estate

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
NY Yankee - We just bought a house in Casa Linda. It has everything you requested and a rental management service. We didn't own it 2 weeks when we were already getting requests from DR1 members requesting long-term rental, which we declined. This project has high rental occupancy (mostly long term)

Ken mentioned Dean Brown, the realtor at Century21. He was our realtor and fantastic. Go to their web site for pictures of all their houses for sale in Sosua/Cabarete area: Century21 Real Estate

Last edited:

nyyankee09

May 7, 2003
JanH,
What made you use a realtor? Could you have gone directly to Casa Linda and bought your property directly from them? I was wondering if it is cheaper going directly to the development instead of using realtor?

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
NY - I wouldn't dare risk buying "by owner" in a foreign country. Casa Linda, and any develpment I would think, charges commission. I can't remember what commission they charge, but I think it was a little lower than a realtor. But commissions can be negotiated - from the seller's side.

Casa Linda developer, Werner Rinck, has a new section with some new homes. These new homes are being sold directly by him - but they aren't bargains. He has building lots for sale too and has about 5-6 house plans to choose from.

Here's a link to our home: Click on "View Slideshow" button below picture.

Our House

The last 3 pictures are of other houses in the neighborhood.

Last edited:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Cute house JanH. Have you been able to stay in it yet? When is your next time down?

By the way NY, I also know Dean Brown. He's a straight shooter and a pleasure to work with.

Last edited:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Camden - yes, we stayed in April, after buying in February. Going again for 2 weeks in July. Would go more often, but not enough vacation days.

Jazz - Good question for NY. We looked at quite a few condos too. Good prices for ocean view/front - many spacious. No better benefit, though, for absentee landlord, because gated communities have same managers/maids/security people.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
gated developments.

nyyankee,

I own a villa at Casa Linda but I've looked at several developments. Here are some developments that I would have considered investing in (bare in mind I'm no expert and only offer personnal appreciation)

-Sea Horse Ranch: very nice development but a little overpriced.
-Casa Linda: well, I did invest in.
-Costa Azul & Golf: nice properties, unfinished development but nice. has a golf course, some properties at bargain price.
-Lomas Mironas: in the back of Casa Linda further up in the mountains, nice ocean view, mostly nice houses, some land still for grabs.
-Perla Marina: Nice development, all kinds of houses, not fully developped but access to the ocean.
-El Choco: same road as Casa Linda, further up and across from Lomas Mironas. Very nice but expensive too.

I haven't seen other developments all all of above are interesting developments.

I haven't seen much in Cabarete but love that beach with all of its excitement.

ecarignan

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
gated developments.

nyyankee,

I own a villa at Casa Linda but I've looked at several developments. Here are some developments that I would have considered investing in (bare in mind I'm no expert and only offer personnal appreciation)

-Sea Horse Ranch: very nice development but a little overpriced.
-Casa Linda: well, I did invest in.
-Costa Azul & Golf: nice properties, unfinished development but nice. has a golf course, some properties at bargain price.
-Lomas Mironas: in the back of Casa Linda further up in the mountains, nice ocean view, mostly nice houses, some land still for grabs.
-Perla Marina: Nice development, all kinds of houses, not fully developped but access to the ocean.
-El Choco: same road as Casa Linda, further up and across from Lomas Mironas. Very nice but expensive too.

I haven't seen other developments all all of above are interesting developments.

I haven't seen much in Cabarete but love that beach with all of its excitement.

ecarignan

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Perla Marina is more like a subdivision than a gated community. Some of the owners are trying to get together to collect an annual fee for maintenance and 24 hour gate security. I think that this will happen in the near future, but there is no deeded requirement to pay. Each owner is responsible for his/her own back-up power.

With that said, I really enjoyed living there, and the beach, although rough, is very quiet.

mainer