Retirement

EddieC

May 8, 2003
I am considering the DR for a retirement venue. North Coast preferred. I have been there many times, but on short trips. I'll probably rent or lease for 6 mos. or so before investing.
I'm not yet fluent in Spanish, but progressing.
I would appreciate any input I can get on general living costs, any foods to avoid, the political situation, bank stability, crime, medical care, and (of course) social events.
I generally like beaches, palm trees, and Argentine Tango. Salsa and Maringue are acceptable substitutes.
I'm rather sick of the rat race in the US.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Do a search and you should get all the information you need. Wish DR-1 existed when I came down.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola EddieC!!!!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 3,706, Threads: 21,847, Posts: 128,227

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
EddyC, welcome to DR1. You are wise to consider coming to the island for an extended period before investing. I do offer one piece of advice, the first thing you do is to find/make a good friend, who is familiar with the island. The first rule here, all that is accomplished is through a network of friends and acquaintances. The saying of: "it is not what you know, but who you know", has value here. Retirement is great here, being away from the "rat race"; like - no junk mail, you'll love it. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are many retirees living on the North Coast. Some live here year around, others live here during the winter and spend the summers somewhere else.

If you have specific questions, this board is a good place to get answers. But for the sort of info that you are seeking, the archives are by far your best source.

After you have explored the archives, come back with specific questions.

To reach the archives, click the "search" button at the top of this page, then do a search of the archives in the same manner you would if doing a search with google or one of the other search engines.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As others have said .... WELCOME to DR1 - your source for everything legal (plus some not so legal).

Did the move over 10 years ago from England - never regretted it!!! Learnt a few things since then too!!!

Send me an e-mail with specifics relative to the North Coast & I will respond accordingly with what I know, but tell me a bit more about yourself if you do write (age, marital status, children likes, dislike etc). - Grahame.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Camden Tom!!!!!!

I added a bunch of new post's. Every time that happens, the previous post's are moved down the screen as new one's are added.

So when I was finished adding my new post's, I went back and posted a reply to the newest and most active one's in order to bring them back up into view, and drive the one's I just added back down.

Whew!

I was Half way through all of that when I realized, :confused: I SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE 1ST PAGE POSTS IN PLACE, BY MAKING THEM A STICKY!!!!!Then when I was done adding, I could have gone back and just unstuck them.

Oh well, next time.

Thanks
Tim H.:confused:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Timex, I hope CamdenTom understood what you just said. I didn't.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since Ken said something,I guess I am not alone!

Your new system has me confused,not hard to do!When I return to a DR1 Forum,I normally scroll down to the first post I have yet to read.I do this by "poster",date,and finally the time of the post.When I see 10 posts all under your "By-line",all with the same time,I am confused.Sometimes,"Perfection" is the enemy of "Good"! If there is a method to your madness that Ken,Camden Tom and I are missing,please let us know.Or feel free to go back to the "Old" way! When you get "OLD" like me,you don't like changes very much!ccccccccccccccccccccccccc;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If this is open to vote, I'm for uniformity on the board. Either all threads are structured the way the have always been, or all should adopt whatever system Tim is trying to introduce. But lets continue to have uniformity.

Like CC says, old guys like us don't adjust to change very well. But if change is to be made, we don't want to have to keep consulting notes to determine what is up and what is down.

Finally, if there is a change made, please explain it in terms that even us old guys can understand. Maybe Anna could write the explanation; I find I can understand her.

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Residency

My understanding:
Expats coming to the DR first obtain a temp. card.
Peremanant status is probably obtained over an extended period, right?

In some countries (i.e. Belize), purchasing real estate of a specified value, or a business pretty much grants permanant status almost immediately.

Is there such a provision in the DR?

Can a temporary resident purchase real estate in the DR?

Is dual citizenship recognized by the DR?

RSVP

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Residency

EddieC said:
My understanding:
Expats coming to the DR first obtain a temp. card.
Peremanant status is probably obtained over an extended period, right?

In some countries (i.e. Belize), purchasing real estate of a specified value, or a business pretty much grants permanant status almost immediately.

Is there such a provision in the DR?

Can a temporary resident purchase real estate in the DR?

Is dual citizenship recognized by the DR?

RSVP
You get a short period card at the airport for ten bux US. You can apply for Provisional Residency any time. Cost about 1000- dollars US inclusive of all costs.

There is no provision for this. You legally cant work without Provisional residency although many do forever.

Anyone can purchase real estate in the DR.

DR does recognize dual citizenship. Resident is not Citizen.

Three steps...

Provisional Residency
Permanant Residency
Citizenship

You have to apply for all and all costs money!

Scott

EddieC

May 8, 2003
Health Insurance

Good information on this board and great people!
The residency stuff was concise and comprehensive.

I do have one additional concern however:

How do non-Dominican residents (temp or perm) normally deal with health care insurance?
I don't think the US HMO's, for example, cover anything in the DR.

RSVP

con respecto,
Ed

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Health Insurance

EddieC said:
Good information on this board and great people!
The residency stuff was concise and comprehensive.

I do have one additional concern however:

How do non-Dominican residents (temp or perm) normally deal with health care insurance?
I don't think the US HMO's, for example, cover anything in the DR.

Ed

Health Care insurance is inexpensive in the DR compared to the US. They also have airlift insurance to take you to Miami I think.

Do a search for Health insurance and it will turn up past posts which there have been many regarding this. As long as you don't have special needs to deal with local insurance should be fine.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You just need money

?To buy property, that's what it takes.

As for health insurance, there is plenty available here, at reasonable rates. There are also Emergeny Air Lift clauses available that will get you to Miami via jet in about 2 hours.

Depending on you health-if this is an issue- stay in Florida or Texas...or California. We get fine care but if you have complications, it gets real expensive.

Why get residency? Of course it is nice to be here legally but not really that necessary. And if you are a little patient, you can go through the process by yourself, without any lawyers or with a minimum of them and get to know "the System"...You proceed with caution, feeling that every person you talk to will want a piece of your money...all the while knowing that you don't really need the phreaking paper, so you can keep a smile on your face while you deal with mindless bureaucracy...after all, a Tourist card is good for 90 days and you can renew it for a few pennies, so who needs residency.??

Sort of tongue in cheek but some seriousness, too

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
So far I still have the group Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance that I got from my former employer, but those premiums are about at the point where I can't afford it. . So am considering local options.

There are a lot of companies, some better than others. As has been suggested, if you click the search button at top of this page, then do a search for health insurance or medical insurance, you will get considerable information.

As Hillbilly indicated, excellent care is available in this country for most things, especially in Santo Domingo and Santiago. But for something catastrophic, you would probably prefer to go to the US. It is my understanding coverage is available for catastrophic illness that includes evacuation and medical expenses in the US. One person I spoke with told me they had insurance with a US$5,000 deductible that was very reasonably priced that included evacuation and medical expenses in the US. Other plans no doubt available, with lower deductibles but higher premiums.