Sea Gulls?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Because...

they taste like ... Chicken.

jeje jeje jeje

But seriously, I hadn't noticed but now that you mention it - you are of course right.

Maybe someone will have a serious answer to enlighten us both.

Gregg

P.S. - Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You're quite right! I've not seen any of the usual shorebirds around the coast.

Heard a story from a guide at the crystal caves in Cabarete - Now, I do not know if this is true or not but he said that in the 60's, DDT (quite a bad poison) became available on the market to use for killing pests in fruit trees and vegetable gardens and where-ever. Apparently, or so the story goes, folks over here started using this stuff quite indiscriminately and the bird population ate it and simply died off.

Around where we are (farmland), there are some birds but they are by no means numerous.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are sea gulls

But not too many.

As for DDT. MY GOD!, the National Service to Eliminate Malaria used to spray everyone's house with 75% pure DDT solutions, tell you NOT to wash the house down until the NEXT DAY!! You either moved out or slept in that stuff.

Then everyone washed their houses and the runoff went in to the rivers and into the sea.

God's Honest Truth...

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Silent Spring

It would be interesting to know how much residual DDT is still remains in the enviroment. DDT banned in the States found its way to the island. Rachael Carson, where are you? Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We used a lot of that stuff in South Africa too but we never washed our houses with it - Mostly used in the fields and I don't remember correctly how, but diluted like crazy. Good God! Hillbilly, that explains a lot ;)

Who was the company who made this stuff anyway? And it looks like the bird population could have died off massively because of this. Wow - I have not seen one seagull in Cabarete and we're on the beach quite frequently..

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Wot No Gulls?

We did the whale watching bit in Samana for a few days recently, plus visits to lots of remote beaches for a looksee, but alas no seagulls and if I recall through the rum haze, no other shore birds either?
In other parts of the world they thrive, especially around garbage dumps, yet here they don't seem to exist? (That's the gulls and not the garbage)!
Perhaps it was the DDT thing that did it but you'd think they'd be replaced by others cruising the skies around the Caribbean and dropping in?
There are certainly no sightings of huge schools of small sardine type fish that I know of in these waters, perhaps that's a factor?
It would be nice to have that incessant sea gull noise, the guano on your shoulder and the seaside feel on the beach in Cabarete - or would it?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Chris said:
Who was the company who made this stuff anyway? And it looks like the bird population could have died off massively because of this. Wow - I have not seen one seagull in Cabarete and we're on the beach quite frequently..

In the U.S. it was Montrose. It was their pesticide that was the source of the contamination of the California coast which brought about a die-off of brown pelicans and led to the eventual banning of the product in the U.S. in 1972. Regards, PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Wot No Gulls?

Peter & Alex said:
It would be nice to have that incessant sea gull noise, the guano on your shoulder and the seaside feel on the beach in Cabarete - or would it?

Of course it would. Went to the beach this morning, and felt that there certainly was something missing! Somehow the hoarse seagull cries and the little shorebirds hopping around the waves seemed very very absent.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain this absence of seashore birds?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We even find them in Milwaukee, Wisconsin's suburbs. In the parking lot at K-Mart, etc.
I wonder if it would be worth it to export some. Or is the environment still out of whack?
mk

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We lived in Sarasota Florida for 12 years and were the evacuation point for the Seagull Sanctuary in case of a hurricane - Our pool and lanai area was deemed to be big enough and far enough away from threatened areas.

Oh My God! It tooks us about 2 months to get everything cleaned up after a serious hurricane threat. I love and hate these birds...!

I'm *NOT* volunteering for an importing effort :classic:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
An Answer?

Still trying to find out why there are no seagulls or other seabirds here?
Had an answer from some birders (twitchers) in SD who blame the warm waters, less plankton, less fish and so on up the food chain???
We've been in places where the water is a lot warmer than here yet there were seabirds?
Perhaps they really do taste like chicken!

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Dominicans are a diligent lot regarding easy food. Catching seagulls is difficult, but removing their eggs isn't! Perhaps DDT contributed too. Canadian Bob.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
seagulls

I like to know firstly why my original reply to this was deleted as it contained no foul language or insulting behavior?

I recently spoke to one of the top bird experts in the country. He agreed with me and stated that the reason there are no seagulls in the DR is because of habitat. Cool waters produce large shouls of easily accessable fish. The conditions are not the same here.

There are actually native seagulls found here but the majority are migratory. The DDT story is simply a rumour and not true. There have never been large amounts of seagulls here. Did the original chronicles of Columbus mention seagulls. Don't think so

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Don't remember seagulls, but when I was growing up in the campo I remember huge numbers of herons (garzas) that would gather whenever there was a tractor preparing land for planting, for instance. I still have a faint memory of a place I saw when I was little, where these herons congregated to sleep and it was just blanketed with them. I mean thousands of them. It's one of those visuals you never forget...

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
See them at La Matica Boca Chica

Certain months of the year, you'll find thousands of them, all on La Matica, the little island in Boca Chica. They paint part if the island white, mostly on the west side with their doo doo.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Proof?

Hi Jim,
Thanx for the info. Have you got a picture to prove it?
Funnily enough we thought we saw one lone gull winging its way along Cabarete beach the other day, but with our old eyes, who knows - could have been a dwarf kiteboarder?
Peter & Alex