Internet phone

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
NOTE for Robert at DR1: I am not posting this message for advertisement purposes. I do not have any interest in VONAGE. I am only using their services and I really like it and it may also be beneficial to DR1 reader.

I would like to share with you my experience with the newest internet phone services that I found. You have your own USA telephone number (you pick your area code) and that reaches you anywhere in the World.

I have my Buffalo phone number and I live in Canada. People in Buffalo call me local and I call them local as well. Unlimited. I pay only $ 25.99 for the services.

What you have is a phone with a USA telephone number no matter where you are in the world. What I am talking about is a real telephone, not a walkie talkie headset or a plastic telephone or microphone. It is not NET2Phone walkie-talkie type. It is the real thing with cristal clear sound.

To use the service, you need a DSL connection or a cable modem. It does not work with satellite internet. You plug a devise provided by the company not into your computer but into your modem. It took me 15 minutes to install. You plug a home networking, a router, into your cable moder or DSL. This allow you to share your high speed Internet connection and you are able to talk on the phone while surfing the internet.

The company which offers the service is VONAGE. Their website is: www.vonage.com. There are two plan. A $ 25.99 plan which allows unlimited local regional call within the calling area of your choice or a $ 39.99 plan which allows you to call unlimited within North American (anywhere in the USA & CANADA).

For example, if you are in Santo Domingo and if you have a Vonage phone and if you have chosen a Miami number for your Vonage Phone, your calling party will dial that number in the 305 Miami area. But you will be able to take the call in Santo Domingo where you actually are.

We also must note that Vonage does not guarantee that their telephone works overseas. It does. I am using it overseas and it works. There even is a feature on their website which allows you to test your internet connection to make sure that it is compatible with their system. I tried it, I passed the test and I happily using their service.

I thought that it was important for me to share my experience with you. If we are able not to use CODETEL and make long distance at a reasonable rate, it is just great for us. I hope that the above information will be usefu.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is a great product and service. If you have a phoneline and you make long distance calls, it works very well.

I am not affiliated with these folks in any way. We cannot get a phoneline where we are, but if we could, I would use this.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
A Brazilian friend of mine has that on his computer in Minneapolis as well as a camera and he can talk to and see his family in Brazil as much as he wants for $39.95 per month. What a bargain.

apadron

Aug 9, 2003
Internet Phone

Macoris, can you contact me to give me more information on setting this up. I have cable access in the DR and DSL in Miami. Would like to get information on how to set this up. Thanks in advance...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't worry, "real" information is never regarded as an ad.
I appreciate you posting your experience.

Ummm.. all I need to do now is get a USA #?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Another One

Rob, you also might try one we use for our dealers and our company phones, www.kall8.com. They are amazing because you can log on and transfer the calls anywhere anyway you like. Immediately. Plus they also have free faxing, free voicemail, etc. I manage all our calling right from my computer and it's only 6.9 cents incoming.

I've seen Vonage and it looks great but they say it will not work with a satellite connection so I am stuck. There are two or three others out there whose names I forget that do, though. One has equipment that basically gives you a dial tone off of the box that plugs into your computer so you can use all your regular telephone, fax equipment. Just plug it in like you have land line service. With the other box on a system in the US it's like 1 cent per minute.

We do have dealers and clients on T1's in the US that could provide local US numbers for this Chris if there's a demand and we can find a system that also works on satellite delivered internet ... whaddya say?