Caribe Campo Hotel & Residence

Cap'n Jon

Apr 13, 2003
Is anyone familiar with the Caribe Campo near Sosua? Looks nice from the pictures and the monthly seems reasonable...Also, they don't mind pets! Any info appreciated. We'll need a place for 3 or 4 months till we buy.

Last edited:

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
i was looking into this too

i wa thinking of staying thre also in late june to july 11.Please let me know what u think.When are u going?I was thinking og buying a 1 or 2 bedroom.I am gonna rent first then see what they have to offer.Please let me know how it was?Thanks Brian ny

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I stayed and I left

Did anyone stay there? What did you think?

I stayed there long term. Nearly two entire months without electric. It would be one and then right off again. Wake up in the middle of the night in a puddle of your own sweat and complete darkenss. Without electric I walked home in complete darkness, not even lights for the hallways, one could get murdered in those hallways and nobody would know it till the next day. No water when the electric is off so forget about the toilet and the shower, try smelling your own @#$%# for a couple of days. Maids turn off your AC while you are at the beach. You come back to a stuffy and moldy smelling apartment. Speaking about molds? 2003 brought an earthquake and many of these units were damaged due to it i.e. leaking pipes in the walls, peeling paint, mystery puddles on your floor. It's a hike to get up there. If you don't have a car you will be treking up that hill everyday.

Finally, the lies, lies, lies coming out of that office. They will smile and lie to your face.

Don't take my word for it. Take a surprise visit up there (meaning don't tell the management you are coming) and speak to the people that live there...because I don't. I warned these people to get their acts together and they just ignored me.

This is what you get when you screw someone.

bonzo

Sep 22, 2006
Hi guys. I lived there from june 2004 to june 2006. The problems have been in 2004 and 2005 because stupid administration. Since feb 2006 there is a new administration group and step by step they fix the problems. Looks better and the support of owners are more positive. We lived in the last 10 years in diferent condos and resorts, but everywhere are nearly the same problems, which at Caribe Campo was. Problems came from stupid thinking administrations, cheap construction in the past 10-15 years ago, changing from hotel to condo without concepts or strategies, changing the inflation/prices in the past to present, especially very high oil prices/electric,
no investments to prepare and renovate the buildings. And...owners which like to buy and renters to rent cheap, but not spending money. Time is over around the world, where you can stay for peanuts. We stay again in DR and see that everything needs time to get better and it´s coming with better investors from US, Canada, UK etc. Think positive for the future of DR.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi guys. I lived there from june 2004 to june 2006. The problems have been in 2004 and 2005 because stupid administration. Since feb 2006 there is a new administration group and step by step they fix the problems. Looks better and the support of owners are more positive. We lived in the last 10 years in diferent condos and resorts, but everywhere are nearly the same problems, which at Caribe Campo was. Problems came from stupid thinking administrations, cheap construction in the past 10-15 years ago, changing from hotel to condo without concepts or strategies, changing the inflation/prices in the past to present, especially very high oil prices/electric,
no investments to prepare and renovate the buildings. And...owners which like to buy and renters to rent cheap, but not spending money. Time is over around the world, where you can stay for peanuts. We stay again in DR and see that everything needs time to get better and it?s coming with better investors from US, Canada, UK etc. Think positive for the future of DR.
What exactly are you trying to say?

bonzo

Sep 22, 2006
Hi Rocky. What I try to say exactly about caribe campo is, that I lived there for 2 years permanent as resident in an apartment. I know about the situations in this country since 10 years ago, have lived at other condos in cabarete and sosua. Nearly in every condo, we have had the same situation., when it was before a hotel and changed into a condo. It`s different to be on vacation at a hotel or to be a renter or owner of a condo. The running of a place like these condos are different to a hotel. Vacatiion, all is included in the rate you booked. As renter, especially as owner, you have to pay monthly maintenance fees and electric for consumption. We have seen administrtations in the past of these condos, that they can`t change their thinking away from hotel. The calculation of monthly costs and to get the money in to pay the bills are the responsiblity by the owners. At the caribe campo and other places, the biggest problem is, that they run the generator, when the official electric company is off. Owners and renters don`t worry about it. Only thinking about electeic and water. I did the same mistake in thinking. Two years ago, the gasoil prices now are more than 3 times higher.
The inflation in this country, higher prices in nearly every part of life, wasa an additional problem. Most administration I met, they didn`t and the couldn`t ask owners and renters for higher payments. A devil circel. Also at caribe campo in november 2005. There was a cut off from the electric company in matter of not paid bills. The admainistration in 2004 and 2005 made global mistakes in running this place. No money management, no cost overview.
Running the generator for 10 and more hours a day, which costs more than the could get on incoming from owners per month. It was terrible to live there.
Also, in the last months there have been some other hotels closed, because they waited to long and spent money for generator running, not looking for reducing the costs. This is especially the situation what you can find now in other condos. Reduce the costs and stop running the generator. At the caribe campo, they did, only running the generator for 2 hours a day. Owners installed inversors to charge batteries and it works. Than the installed a small genrator for the water pumps. Rocky, it`s not so easy to understand for somebody, who is not living in this country since years and not livingfor some years at a condo, like caribe campo, or trade winds or sol bonito or anywhere.
Situations and problems, just like what DominicanScotty is telling, that`s not the hole story about this country and condos. I can say to people which like to stay in DR and like to buy a house or apartment, come at first for vacation, perhaps stay in DR, but at first rent a property and take a look around and talk to administrations, owners, renters, real estate agents and lovely people to meet at the beaches and restaurants. Make your own view and than a decision to stay as renter or owner or to go to the bahamas or stay again at a cold place and live at old home.
Be subcetive and objective and ask for more background informations. Be open. Informations what just like CaribianScotty is doing is no support and makes more confusion. Ask specific, ask direct, and you will get clear answers without blabla. Hope you understand, what I mean exactly.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Caribbean who?

Hi Rocky. What I try to say exactly about caribe campo is, that I lived there for 2 years permanent as resident in an apartment. I know about the situations in this country since 10 years ago, have lived at other condos in cabarete and sosua. Nearly in every condo, we have had the same situation., when it was before a hotel and changed into a condo. It`s different to be on vacation at a hotel or to be a renter or owner of a condo. The running of a place like these condos are different to a hotel. Vacatiion, all is included in the rate you booked. As renter, especially as owner, you have to pay monthly maintenance fees and electric for consumption. We have seen administrtations in the past of these condos, that they can`t change their thinking away from hotel. The calculation of monthly costs and to get the money in to pay the bills are the responsiblity by the owners. At the caribe campo and other places, the biggest problem is, that they run the generator, when the official electric company is off. Owners and renters don`t worry about it. Only thinking about electeic and water. I did the same mistake in thinking. Two years ago, the gasoil prices now are more than 3 times higher.
The inflation in this country, higher prices in nearly every part of life, wasa an additional problem. Most administration I met, they didn`t and the couldn`t ask owners and renters for higher payments. A devil circel. Also at caribe campo in november 2005. There was a cut off from the electric company in matter of not paid bills. The admainistration in 2004 and 2005 made global mistakes in running this place. No money management, no cost overview.
Running the generator for 10 and more hours a day, which costs more than the could get on incoming from owners per month. It was terrible to live there.
Also, in the last months there have been some other hotels closed, because they waited to long and spent money for generator running, not looking for reducing the costs. This is especially the situation what you can find now in other condos. Reduce the costs and stop running the generator. At the caribe campo, they did, only running the generator for 2 hours a day. Owners installed inversors to charge batteries and it works. Than the installed a small genrator for the water pumps. Rocky, it`s not so easy to understand for somebody, who is not living in this country since years and not livingfor some years at a condo, like caribe campo, or trade winds or sol bonito or anywhere.
Situations and problems, just like what DominicanScotty is telling, that`s not the hole story about this country and condos. I can say to people which like to stay in DR and like to buy a house or apartment, come at first for vacation, perhaps stay in DR, but at first rent a property and take a look around and talk to administrations, owners, renters, real estate agents and lovely people to meet at the beaches and restaurants. Make your own view and than a decision to stay as renter or owner or to go to the bahamas or stay again at a cold place and live at old home.
Be subcetive and objective and ask for more background informations. Be open. Informations what just like CaribianScotty is doing is no support and makes more confusion. Ask specific, ask direct, and you will get clear answers without blabla. Hope you understand, what I mean exactly.

Excuse me. I suffered for two months there smelling my own #$%^, wasn't able to bathe, stummbled in the dark, woke up in pools of my own sweat, heard other residents screaming and cursing into the night from their terraces when the power would be off for hours upon hours.

Are you calling my information FALSE???? You certainly are. Do not attempt to call my claims false. More confusion as to what? So, what you mean is that people like myself that spent thousands of dollars there should just keep my mouth shut? I had a 46 year old friendship damaged because I invited these friends to stay at CARIBE CAMPO. They suffered several days without basic needs such as toilet water. They blamed me because I was the one that bragged so much about the new administration and how things were different. Different my backside!!!!

So if you are going to write on a public message board that I am spreading misinformation and confusion get your facts straight and get my name right.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I want to add

With all due respect. I think we are all on the same page that nobody can run a generator 24/7, nobody is even thinking that. But when they tell you that they will turn the power off a certain time of day and only for a certain amount of time I expect them to honor it. They lied through their teeth and left "paying people" without water to flush the da*m toliet, take a shower. Nobody knew when the power would go off or come on. Sometimes the power never came on. I ended up taking my showers in the barrio which strangely as it seems had power. Now if I am paying the amount I was paying why do I have to beg for something as basic as water. Why do I have to go to the barrio to take a shower???

You pay 700,800 dollars a month for a lousy one bedroom apartment you expect such things a toilet that flushes.

The conditions in this complex are s-u-b-h-u-m-a-n. Perhaps some people tolerate going to the pool to get toilet water or saving buckets of water to bathe in. Walking around in the complete darkness with not even lights in the stairwells.

They want tourists to stay here???? Are they kidding???? They sell units to unknowing people that come down to buy. These unfortunate buyers are stuck with an earthquake damaged building (never mind poor construction, thats a lame excuse). Leaking pipes, weeping walls, life threatening molds for those that are mold intolerant.

I am not spreading bad information and I am not spreading confusion. I am telling it like it is. If I can help just one person stay away from that sh*thole I did my service.

I do feel bad for the people that own there. However, don't tell people to come up because everything is fine because it ISN'T.