Travelers' Cheques (Checks)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I am coming Saturday n the YYZ-MIA-SDQ usual AA route - I usually bring some cash and the rest AMEX travelers' cheques (checks for Americans).

Since the exchange rate indicates the US$ is in big demand is it fair to assume this is not just US$ cash - e.g. the cambios are business as usual on cashing cheques?

I use the same cambio in Boca Chica since they know me and I don't need my ID but it would be good to check that there is no issue on non-cash - that US$ is US$ regardless of format right now.

IF the experts/residents think there is an issue with negotiating them I'll go back and trade them for new big head $100's US$ cash.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Me too, almost always

jazzcom said:
I usually negotiate a better rate with travelers checks at the cambios.

No problems with their desire to get (and cash) them? I'd think the security would be preferable and they are as liquid as you get.

I am not sure why I'd think with increased demand for US$ this would be a problem. Maybe I am worrying about nothing.

Never seen 26 1/2 RD$ to a dollar before.

I used to get 16.75 to 1 US$ now I am getting almost 19 to 1 CDN$. Both the RD$ and US$ are certainly going the right way at the same time to visit.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I had a problem with travelers checks at "MY" bank once but NEVER at the Cambio I usually use in Sosua and get a premium there for the TC's.

I stopped taking "MY" bank seriously after they told me that they didn't want TC's and only keep a minimal ammount of money there now.(under 1k US and Peso) I had as much as 60k with them.