mamajuana juice

katty

Mar 14, 2003
I need to know if any one can tell me, can I bring back this lucsious stuff to the states and if I can how much and how bout presidente too while we are at it

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Definitely!

I brought back 4 bottles of mamajuana and had no problems. You can bring back a total of 1 liter of alcohol. So the total volume of beer and mamajuana can not exceed 1 liter. I would suggest that when you pack them to return, use ziplock baggies if you have them with you. If not, make sure the lids are secure. If customs opens a bottle, make sure the lid is tight again. I didn't check the bottle customs opened and it leaked about half of the bottle. Luckily I had the foresight to put it in a ziplock bag so it did not get all over the other contents of the bag.

Hope that helps.

Tondra

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Did you bring the mamajuana with liquid in it or just the herbs and sticks dry?

Where these bottles labeled or just old rum bottles with the cap put on. Customs opened your bottles?

I would love to bring back at least one or two bottles but I would probably buy mine off the street or from a friend in which case it would look like a bunch of twigs in an old bottle and I wouldn't want to fill it with rum. But if it is going to be a hassle to get it through customs then forget it.

As it is, I barely get a lot of layover time and almost always miss the connecting flights.

Thanks

Jake Ryan

May 16, 2003
Juice? That descriptions a first!

Seriously, hauling back Mama Juana to the States is all but an adventure unto itself, and seems to vary in regulations depending on what airport you're departing from and who happens to be checking your bags.

I've always been told there's no limit on Mama Juana exported from the DR because it's not considered liquor. (Remember, to the locals it's daily medicine!) I've been well over the limit numerous times since bottles of MJ are the most popularly requested souvenir that I brink back. Between these, and the amounts of cheap, duty free rum, Crema de Oro, and other favorites crammed into my backpack, it's a wonder the straps haven't ripped off. And fortunately, I was never hassled (make that never even checked) at NYC's JFK customs.

However, I did have a problem on my last departure from La Romana. Because I needed to pick up so many bottles of Mama, decided to just buy them with only the dry goods to help lighten the load - everything from old half-pints to 1.75's. At customs, these were threatened to be confiscated cause without the booze, they're considered foods which aren't allowed for export. Fortunately, they allowed me to go to a concession and buy a couple of 1.75 liters or rum to pour into the bottles, but not without actually filling them...as if they understood the need to leave room for the red wine and honey. Then, there was no problem.

Got quite the suspicious eye connecting through Puerto Rico, but thankfully nothing was taken. And again, I was well over the limit! ENJOY one sip at a time!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I brought back bottles filled with mamajuana and bottles with just the "herbal" ingredients. The filled bottles looked like reused bottles with homemade labels. It was DR customs who opened my bottle. I never had any problems in Miami.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
At the POP airport they don't allow you to take it out "dry". On 2 trips this year saw people held up until rum was poured in and bottle was looked at closely. Security wasn't very neat about dumping the booze in so you'll be better off adding the anejo before going to airport.