FA Cup Final at Eddy's

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Arsenal and Southampton played for the final of the FA Cup in England this morning (our time) and a friend and I drove up to Eddy's to see it. Took a couple of cigars, some money and an adventerous spirit.

It was very, very pleasant, and I am sorry that Robert didn't make it up there. About 100 people congregated, drank lots of Presidente that two of Eddy's Angels (Bianka and Claribel) served up with diligence. Everyone but me was a fan of Arsenal. I liked Southhampton because their uniforms are the same as the old PUCMM teams of the 70s!!...Didn't really follow the English Football league but it was a fine game and interesting.

People were interesting, too.

Good drive over the Tourist Highway, easy trip bothways in the trusty GMC...

Congrats to Eddy's for an excellent morning.

Next stop to the German (Moser's) Bakery to pick up some bread for friends and home. Ate some Apple Strudle to put something on top of the beer and a couple of rum and OJs enjoyed during the game. Also a great pickle--no, I am not pregnant!

Cool day.

HB

Last edited:

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
one of the biggest, most famous and most televised sporting events in the world and i couldn?t watch it anywhere in santo domingo.

next year i have to get up to the north coast.

the good thing is, manchester united were not there.
the bad thing is, the "gooners" won again.

(at least we get plenty of formula 1!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Funny thing about Brit TV

I mentioned this a couple of times to Eddy and others.

As one of the premier sports events of the football world, the coverage on this suked. No kidding. The Super Bowl, the BCS Championship Game, the Final Four are all much better from the viewer's point of view. Apparently (because I asked some folks) the stadium at Cardiff is one of the most modern in England, but no Blimp shots, nothing done to promote England nor Cardiff. Of course no halftime show with the Rolling Stones....LOL!

As shame, since a worldwide audience could have appreciated it.

HB, who enjoyed the morning, slept the afternoon away and watched the Preakness-which had better coverage than the FA Cup BTW, and now have to wait for three weeks to see if there is a triple crown winner....

PS: Edited to add--If anyone can see The Winston, a NASCAR race on FX tonight, you can see great TV probramming. A real specticle. And a race for $1,000,000 to the winner!

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Funny thing about Brit TV

Hillbilly said:
the stadium at Cardiff is one of the most modern in England, but no Blimp shots, nothing done to promote England nor Cardiff.

Anyone here from Wales?

Chiri

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Luis, lookin' good! how's the swing? Eddy- better than your superbowl extravaganza?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Not better than Superbowl

No Hot Dogs. LOL Plus several of the people there were from A-I hotels and had to rush back for lunch.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com

Hillbilly said:

PS: Edited to add--If anyone can see The Winston, a NASCAR race on FX tonight, you can see great TV probramming. A real specticle. And a race for $1,000,000 to the winner!

NASCAR The Professional wrestling of Motorsports.

F-1, Champcars, ALMS! Now that is racing!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
F-1???gimme a break!

The only thing interesting is qualifying. today's race was over once M.Schumacher got the lead. The only thing interesting was the battle for 2nd place!!

NOW, that said, things might get interesting IF the new McLaren Chassis are as good as theyare porported to be. If an old chassis could hold off the NEW Ferraris for over 15 laps, then it might just be an interesting year.

Otherwise, ho-Hum ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! Boring.

Champ cars are more interesting, IMO....

HB, next week INDY and the Coca-Cola 600! All in one day!

Tony, you didn't see last night's race? It was very exciting.

Arve

Oct 13, 2002

Hillbilly said:
I mentioned this a couple of times to Eddy and others.

As one of the premier sports events of the football world, the coverage on this suked. No kidding. The Super Bowl, the BCS Championship Game, the Final Four are all much better from the viewer's point of view. Apparently (because I asked some folks) the stadium at Cardiff is one of the most modern in England, but no Blimp shots, nothing done to promote England nor Cardiff. Of course no halftime show with the Rolling Stones....LOL!

Come again??? :) As if a cup final isn't enough.... Oh dearie me..

Apart from the stadium, I don't think there is much to promote in Cardiff. And England.. How these people managed to get an
empire I simply can't understand.

My feelings for F1 only go to R. Schumacher, second best in
the world, second best in the family. :)

One of these days I'll bring a shirt too, a Rosenborg shirt.

You'll never walk alone.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jazzcom

Wife's out of town, Amber doesn't have time to come visit me what else is there. LOL

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Hillbilly,

I have been to more than a few Winston Cup Races. They can be enjoyable at times but I look at WC as what it is. A contrived spectacle not a sport.
Technologically it is stuck in the 60's. The rules are changed at the whim of NASCAR to keep it "exciting" with no regard to the Sporting aspect.
I am a true motorsports junky. I follow the car while the casual fan follows the driver.
For me, a lot of passing in a race does not mean the race is good. I am more in awe of the dominance of Ferrari in F-1 then I am of the full throttle slingshot passing of NASCAR or the IRL(Indy retirement League).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
TheNFL calls it looking for parity

I guess my hot rod roots go back to racing junkers at the old Polo Grounds in the mid 50's (Just after the Giants left for SFCO.)

We'd go to junk yards to find a distributor cap or a new/old axle housing.

Nowadays with the new "aero-packages" and the "Team Concept", it is true that NASCAR os a spectacle. In fact, I think it is the largest spectator event in the US...

But remember, my post had to do with the broadcast of the spectacle as opposed to the poor TV techniques of the FA Cup final--the Super Bowl of the English Football League.....

I guess that is a clue why the Brit's food is so bland????

HB

And aren't you just a little bit interested in seeing how the new McLaren chassis is going to act??
And the ALMS is magnificant, but not televisable except for exerpts....Love seeing 8 cyl Audis, Jags, and 'Vettes golike bats outta he!!.....
BTW, the F-1 race was MUCH better TV than the FA Cup Final, too.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been watching F1 since I sat in Ronnie Petersons Lotus at Brands Hatch, that was along time ago :)

Unfortunately for F1, the majority of the fans are not techno freaks like some of us. They have tried and need to make it more of a spectacle to retain the audience. No audience = no sponsors = no money

The technology levels are way ahead of any other motor sport and that's what keeps me watching.
People ask, "how can you excited at a steering wheel?" :)

HB, how about a few drinks at Eddy's on July 20th, the British Grand Prix?

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Coverage of the FA cup

Well, HB, here?s the deal about Cardiff and I?m sure I?ll be corrected if any part of this is wrong. Cardiff stadium is being used as the de facto English national stadium while Wembley is being rebuilt. This rebuilding boondoggle could take ten years with all the squabbling and back-stabbing and the begging for more public money to cover over-the-budget surprises that aren?t really surprises but nobody has the nads to put ?em in the original plan. So not only are the ever-in-denial brits not too proud about their ?national? games taking place in a foreign land, to heap on the ignominy, Cardiff is primarily a rugby football stadium, built, or renovated (I forget which) specifically for the Rugby World Cup in 1999.

ps If you really want to see spectacle, check out the Champion?s League Final which is being carried by ESPN2. I forget the exact date and all the ?sports related? websites are blocked here at work (might be May 28th). You could easily look it up on uefa.com or soccernet.com. Two Italian giants, AC Milan and Juventus, will battle it out at Old Trafford (Manchester United?s home ground) and it should be a thrilla.

pss I?m so friggin envious of y?all; sitting around Eddy?s drinking beer served by loveliest gals on the north coast and watching football. Waaaaaah!!!

StLouis Mike
Forza Milan

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Robert,
Ronnie Peterson was the reason I became a racing fan. I haven't seen a driver since who has commanded a car with such verve as he did. J Villeneuve came close.
As boring as the casual fan might think F-1 is it is still the most watched regularly schedualed sporting event in the world. The only thing that beats it is the Superbowl and the World Cup final.

The ALMS series is my favorite. I go to the 12 hours of Sebring every year and will soon be heading to Road Atlanta to qwatch them run. And of course they run on the Streets of Downtown Miami in Sept.

HillBilly.

In my younger days I have raced a few times in "Stock Cars" around the 1/3 mile Hialeah Speedway. I have to admit I had fun swapping paint with those "Good ol Boys". This summer I will be back there to run a Cyclone Car in a Media race. I even have a idiot who is going to let me use his car.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
BORING!!!

Try Friday/Saturday Nights (late) on Avenida Abraham Lincoln.

Sure, it's not as organized as F1, but it's almost as loud and you have the addition of motoconchos trying to cross the street. They really spice up some of the maneuvers and create some horrific accidents.

Plus, it's free and you can bring your own cooler.

Trying to cross the street is like playing frogger.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We have stolen my thread

But:
1) Sounds good. the 20th? My problem would be that I can get it here on the TV and not have to drive the road to Sosua...But of course the opportunity to quaff a few with Robert is an added attraction, to say nothing of the babes who serve them!

2) TonyC: F-1 can't compare to NASCAR as far as spectators are concerned. Sheer number of dates....and there are F-1 venues where you can't really count how many are there..
Still, I totally agree as to the technology. LOL: "My guy's wheel is better than your guy's steering wheel??"

3) Envious of you and chance to race.

HB