Best route from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Planning to drive from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana shortly. How many hours, & best route to use please. Thanks! Canadian Bob.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Best Route: Las Americas to Boca Chica, Boca Chica via Autovia del Este to San Pedro de Macoris, Just before San Pedro, keep to the left of the highway and take the cercumnavigacion around San Pedro towards the Cementos Mexicano plant, you know you are in the area when you see on your right the new bridge under construction. At the end of this highway section you will see a Jersey Barrier blocking the access to the new bridge, take the ramp to your right and and continue to circle to your right until you see the plant in front of you, continue toward the plant. About one mile past the plant and the existing bridge, bear left at the fork in the road. You follow the road to its end by its intersection with the road exiting from San Pedro to La Romana. Turn Left and it is about 27 km to La Romana from that point. When you enter La Romana, You will go past a Shell station on your left, then a Texaco station, keep to the right of the road, when you arrive at the signal lights turn right and follow the signs indicating Higuey. The city road will take you over some railroad tracks and past the new Jumbo (grocery, dept, fast food, clean restrooms) store on your right, continue direct over the bridge. You will come to a fork in the road, bear to the left towards Casa del Campo, Altos de Chavon, and the airport. It is about 35 km to Higuey. Continue on this road past the airport and you will be entering a gorge with a bridge over the Rio Chavon, after that you will then pass the El Limon Commercial Center on your left, among the many stores there is a grocery store and clean restrooms. A mile or so down the road proceed left past the road to Bayahibe. The road will be taking some gentle turns from this point on as you view the cane fields on your left. You will arrive at another fork, bear left to Higuey, a sign is posted there, just past the fork you go over some railroad tracks. Proceed to Higuey When you enter (careful city traffic-many motoconchos) Higuey past the auto dealers, look for the Isla gas station on your right, bear to the left and take the left fork in the road at the traffic signals. You will be heading toward the Basilica, which you will see it directly in front of you. Continue straight past the front of the Basilica and position yourself into the right lane. You will arrive at an "T" intersection, you will turn right. The distance to Punta Cana from that point on is about 45 km. This road will bring you past the commercial district and over a small bridge. It will wind past a Shell gas station on your right towards La Otra Banda, a little satelite pueblo of Higuey. When you arrive at the only signal light in the pueblo, turn a hard right, this portion of the road will have you exiting La Otra Banda and meandering the road to Punta Cana/Bavaro. Careful this road twist and turns, has many buses and trucks traveling at speeds above or below what the condition of the road allows (normal conditions). You will ultimately arrive in Veron or Beron, the locals can't arrive at a way to spell it, at the intersection under a cast iron gate arching over the road by the Shell station/Burger king. You will turn left and pass the police station and head for the resort of your choice. PM me to let me know which resort you are headed for, I should be able to provide more info. From the new Duarte bridge in Santo Domingo, the trip should be about three hours-three and one half hours for a first timer. Happy motoring. Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Done this trip enough times to do it blindfolded. There is a shortcut to bypass Hiquey through the cane fields, only for drivers with built-in radar and self navigation. I do need updates on potholes, I remember where most of them are and adjust my drive to anticipate them. However, it's the new ones I fear. Regards, PJT