Digital One-Time-Use Cameras

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I would like to know if they are selling and have processing (prints and CD) for Digital One-Time-Use Cameras on the island. My experience has always been with 35mm and have had no problems with island services. However, I have need for a digital format when I return to the D.R. and have no way now to check out my usual island photo services at present. Regards, PJT

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hi PJT

There used to be a service at Plaza Bavaro, they had the type of digital camaras and they were producing photo quality prints from them. I will check today if they are still there and get back to you.

Mido

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We didn't have them developed while we were there, but were able to purchase 1-time-use cameras (Kodak MAX outdoor) at a camera shop. The had flash also.
mk

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Digital One Time usage?

I've never heard or seen such a thing. I'm going to go looking now.

The finest photo processing spot I've located is on Lope de Vega next to Taco Bell, next to Winston Churchill. Fotosistema.

$235 for 36 exp. processed, 4x6 prints.

The service is excellent, quality of processing is far better than anything else I've used.

They do CD's as well, 1 hour turnaround - and I think that goes for reprints (enlargements, whatever) as well.

I'd highly discourage anyone using the cheezy 1-hour shops you find in strip malls and the like. I'm not sure if they are using recycled chemicals or fat-fingering the dials, but they produce garbage nearly every time.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Kodak in the U.S. has a digital one-time-use camera, 27 exposure, I have seen advertised for about US $11. I would like to know if same type sold and processed on the island. Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
mido said:
Hi PJT

There used to be a service at Plaza Bavaro, they had the type of digital camaras and they were producing photo quality prints from them. I will check today if they are still there and get back to you.

Mido

Mido thanks, don't go of out of your way for me, unless you have other business in the area. There is a photo service at Plaza Bavaro, have had ID photos done there. Just do not know if they have caught on with the newer gadgets. Regards, PJT

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
PJT said:
Digital One-Time-Use Cameras on the island. My experience has always been with 35mm and have had no problems with island services. However, I have need for a digital format when I return to the D.R.

The name of this camera is a little misleading. The camera is really a 35mm film camera, same as other disposable cameras. But the purchase price includes a photo CD in addition to standard prints.

The images on the CD are digital, but are derived from the 35mm film. You could get similar results by scanning your prints.

Why not buy a digital camera? I used mine extensively during my last 2 visits to the DR. It was sorta neat to take a photo at the beach, then stroll into an internet cafe and email the fresh image to the folks back home.

Swede

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Old product in a new package

McSwede thanks for the enlightenment. It is just like big business to put an old product in a new package and make you think you're getting a swell deal when you make a purchase. I would like to buy a digital in the future, but it is not in the budget now. That's why I thought the One-Time-Use one would be a cheap alternative. Regards, PJT