Tidbits of a Dominican thinker in the streets

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
-With our traditional disregard for health and safety, poor food inspections and lack of sanitary standards, I am amazed that most of the killer diseases and viruses today do not develop in nations like DR. Yet you take nations like Canada with superb health procedures invaded by SARS and now....The Mad Cow disease. Today the U.S. has imposed a ban on meat from Canada!!!

-Our "megadivas" or TV "happy" hostesses have made out-of marriage pregnancies, fighting for married men, obtaining free gifts from "friends" and living out of wedlock fashionable. While these activities were common in our society, people always were critical of women doing things like this. But even today, high society ladies are turning into "happy girls" with equal agressiveness. Just this year, two of the "megadivas"(one that works with 9 X 9 Roberto and now Selinee Mendez, from the same company are pregnant before marriage. Selinee is fighting with his new hubbie's wife, who claims he is not divorced yet. A suit is pending. Selinee used to go out with entrepeneur George Nader and used to wear short hair wigs so that people would not recognize she was going out with him. Nader dumped her as she got older. She married a total unknown, whose "wife" claims Selinee married because she was desperate and pregnant with two months. She is pregnant with triplets. Dominican men are very happy with this trend. Women now are behaving like us. Our share of women will get better!!!

-I noticed a lot of people making lines at Asociacion Popular de Ahorros y Prestamos. Me estoy haciendo el burro, but what's going on? There is a memo war going on between major shareholders of this bank in the newspapers today. Another scandal!!!

-Insurance companies are no longer selling full coverage/comprehensive car insurance to two-door sports cars in DR. I am now self insuring my own and barely was able to get the basic required. How are they insuring those new Porches and two-door Jaguars? Yet musclecars like the M3, M5, The Evolution are being insured because they have four doors?????

-Just like I posted previously, the Baninter brass is going to Najayo's luxury jail stables purposely renovated and designed for them. Curiously enough, the judge handling this case was just re-instated after being investigated for being corrupt himself(he took a trip around the world with money donated by criminals and freed a drug lord).

-If concert promoters were investigated some surprising things would come out. How is it possible to bring Shakira and Mana to DR, fail miserably with tickets sales and continue in business??
The recent Mana concert was a major failure. Only 8000 attended(expected 20,000) Half of those who showed up got freebies. Scalpers were gone. Mana promoters even reduced the price. The cost for Shakira's production was out-of this-world and only 6000 paid!!!

-Just take note of this: the price of a tiny box of raisins just went up from $4 to $8 pesos. I have also used Dannon Yougurt 8oz. container as the U.S. dollar standard for 10 years. It now sells for $29.95!!! The dollar is as rare as clean air.

-Businesses are closing at an incredible pace. Even the booming TV business is almost dead. Mango TV is almost broke. Juan Luis Guerra just turned it into a religious station because it could not cope with its payroll and program expenses. The once fashionable Channel 33, SuperCanal owned by society's once crown prince Frank Jorge Elias closed down all live programming. Every live program is cutting down on staff. The government's station is on a respirator. Telecentro is in deep trouble along with RNN News. Channel 6 never took off. What happened to Telemundo's local telecast? Channel 9 dropped its live baseball and basketball games. Today's DR TV is mostly taped programs. Bank TV ads are down for fear of the Baninter syndrome.

-Car dealerships are hurting so bad, whenever a client walks in the earth trembles!! A car dealership that rents one of my properties used to sell 60- cars a month. Now they are selling 10 to 15. Ironically, if this dealership goes broke, I benefit, because the long term lease would be over and I can sell the lot.

-Now that Miss Venezuela got funding to go to the Miss World contest in Panama our own Amelia Vega, the best Dominican candidate ever, better watch out. The competition just got better. Miss Venezuela, besides being a superchick now has the sympathy vote because of her ordeal. I thinks she even looks better than our own queen, and that's a big order!! Miss World without Venezuela would have been like the Pan Am Games without Cuba.

TW

-

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If Moodys,Standard & Poors,The IMF,and The World Bank,

Would have read ,and paid attention to,"golo's" posts about the Dominican Republic,and it's politicians over the last year,we might not be in such a pile of "Drek" here now!!! Cris Colon

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Ohhhhh....Tidbits FROM a Dominican thinker. I thought perhaps some great genius had been blown up. Whew.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Good stuff Golo.

One minor correction though .... Asociacion Popular de Ahorros y Prestamos doesn't have any shareholders. That's the way these banks are structured by law.

Apr 26, 2002
Re: If Moodys,Standard & Poors,The IMF,and The World Bank,

Criss Colon said:
Would have read ,and paid attention to,"golo's" posts about the Dominican Republic,and it's politicians over the last year,we might not be in such a pile of "Drek" here now!!! Cris Colon

Criss,

You assume that they care, and that they are not just hype machines with endless conflicts of interest with investment banks, issuers and guarantors.

In fact, they're no better than Arthur Anderson. They just haven't gotten caught.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
I had a hunch!

I knew that the shit would hit the fan once the peso reached 19.50 to a dollar.

Man I am so glad I sold everything I owned in the DR.

Incidently the guy who bought my apartment at RD$20 to US$1.00 is now selling again and he will probably loose 6 pesos on the dollar value........it sucks but hey.........his voted Hippopotamous in, was a die hard hippo man.

Man that was close.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Now that Miss Venezuela got funding to go to the Miss World contest in Panama our own Amelia Vega, the best Dominican candidate ever, better watch out. The competition just got better. Miss Venezuela, besides being a superchick now has the sympathy vote because of her ordeal. I thinks she even looks better than our own queen, and that's a big order!! Miss World without Venezuela would have been like the Pan Am Games without Cuba.

As I stated in another post about Venezuela, the girls in Venezuela are nice looking, but it does come at a hefty price. The word is "chica cuadrada" and it has to do with all the plastic surgeons who get these girls ready for the runway. If you go to MissVenezuela.com the current winner is asked if she has had work, and she says, "just my breasts, the rest is all mine!"

I dunno. Maybe there should be a rule about that!

I mean, how many Dominican beauty queens have surgery?

I think her surgeon should have paid her way.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I beat "El Nacional by 4 days"

Please notice the part of my post #44 on May 21 under my second signature of Golo100, where it states that "Businesses are closing at an incredible pace" and there is a mention of Mango TV and Channel 33's demise as a normal TV station and their reduction to just caretaker programming.

Well, El Nacional 4 days later publishes the following article, almost excatly what I said:

Fecha: 25-05-2003

Generalidades
Crisis en TV

"Ya se ve?a venir la salida del aire de canales de televisi?n y otros medios de comunicaci?n. La crisis que arropa nuestro pa?s, y el mundo, ha puesto de vuelta y media a los empresarios. No todos pueden mantenerse en pie, como hemos podido observar ?ltimamente. "

"Sabemos ya que Mango TV cerr? su programaci?n regular. Los arrendatarios y productores han quedado fuera. S?lo se transmiten eventos cristianos."

"Juan Luis Guerra no aguant? tanta presi?n econ?mica. Se habla de que en el canal se invert?an mensualmente cien mil d?lares para cumplir con los compromisos de pago de n?mina, factura el?ctrica -donde casi nunca hab?a luz-, agua, etc. S?lo la factura telef?nica alcanzaba los setenta mil pesos. ?Una suma nada despreciable!"

"Mango TV abri? sus puertas a una cantera de j?venes talentos que hoy est?n dispersos en diferentes lugares."

"S?per Canal 33 est? en la lista negra. Hay otros medios en donde habr? despidos masivos en los pr?ximos d?as.

"Esta situaci?n preocupa mucho a los profesionales del micr?fono; a los periodistas, camar?grafos, maquillistas y artistas en general. Y no es para menos."

And by the way, I don't have Richard Nixon's plummers going into newspaper desks to check what they're going to publish.Hehehe!!

TW

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Maybe the reporters are just lurking at dr1.com and stealing your stuff golo!! Watch out!!! Remember, like the Baninter slogan, "everything is possible".

Edited for spelling mistakes.