how much $$$$ to have fun

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
for a family of four ....how much would you guys recommend to take in usd ?

I am planning on going to Santiago.. I am taking my children and I want to take them to alot of parks and pools . I am staying with family but you know you have to treat them sometimes. so my questions is ....is $2500.00 usd too little for 18 days?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
US$2500!!!!!

Let me tell you....if you use your head, with US$2500 at the rate of $28 pesos to a dollar you will have as much as a Dominican senator earns in month. $70,000 pesos will make you the queen of the hill, even with four hungry kids. Santiago is much cheaper than Santo Domingo and if you stick to the basics and stay away from the fanciest of restaurants, you will do just fine and invite the rest of the family.

Your family will probably drive you around to places, so you may just have to pay for the gas. But if they really love you and have the means, they may not ask you for it.

Try to convince them to take you to a river outing for a cookout. Or to the beach bringing in your own food to cook. That should be cheap and fun. There are water playgrounds in Santiago and lots of fast food.

Stay away from paying for rooms at resorts for friends and family. That can run you a big bill, even for you and children. But if you do it alone with the kids for a weekend, with the all inclusive, you should do fine.

Stay away from troubled family with debts and financial problems. You may get hit for a loan, which will probably be paid when we finally pay for the Baninter fraud in 2050. Beware of family members who may have a medical problem and need a prescription. Or a niece who needs the inscription for next semester at the university. These are very old tricks used by family to use you. The money will end up at a betting parlor, beauty salon, nails, tattoos and tight jeans.

TW

bladeNYC

May 14, 2003
www.dr1.com
goLO100... are you dominican?

You just gave her the "trip to DR for dummies" book. Thats right lindalyn. I totally agree with golo100. If you follow Goo100's guidance you will be fine. Trust me!!:cool:

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
thanks you guys!

I was laughing out loud because i've already been told about the prescription ...my aunt is so so sick....so she says ?!
I have alot of family but only very few are bold enough to give me sad stories . nice tip .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here is another "Tip" that may come in handy!

My wife is Dominican, she has a good job,and as my wife is considered "RICH" by her friends and family.When everyone would go to the "Disco",they would "Drink the night away",then go outside and leave her to pay the bill!"Pero yo no tengo ni un chele"! That gets "OLD" really fast, as you can imagine.She learned!Now when they go,she buys round number one,calls for the check,pays the bill,and informs everyone that they are now resposible for whatever they drink!Dominicans have many good qualities,but they will "Take Advantage" if the opportunity is presented!Cris Colon

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: thanks you guys!

lindalyn said:
I was laughing out loud because i've already been told about the prescription ...my aunt is so so sick....so she says ?!
I have alot of family but only very few are bold enough to give me sad stories . nice tip .

We get the stories too, but instead of handing out money what I try to do is if I know a vitiamin/cream/drug is much cheaper here. I buy some when they go on sale and take them down with me. That is my gift to them for their hospitality. Sometimes its even those super large jars of store brand tylenol, they always appreciate that stuff.

Then usually while we are their we'll pay for the meat that is being cooked for the day, that usually being the most expensive ingrediant.

Also take advantage of any 2x1 pizza days, they are a nice treat too....

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hey Criss

-What you just described is known in DR as " UN CUBO".

-People who drop in univited to a restaurant where the "gringo" is paying are known as "PARACAIDISTAS", or parachutists.

TW

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The problem goes both ways - if you are a gringo and come down here with dollars, don't flash 'em. If you do, you'll be an easy mark. If you don't, folks will look at you twice and wonder who you are.

I am always poor - a new Dominican, so, always poor - just like the rest.