Budweiser in the DR market

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I just read Budweiser is formally entering the dominican market. Competition is about to get a lot tougher for Presidente...I wonder how bud will do in the dominican market. I would think that it will probably do very well, at least at the beginning, because of all the marketing muscle they will probably put behind it. Personally I rarely drink bud here in the US and probably never will in the DR. Either way competition is always good for the consumer...I just wish you could find Spaten or Warsteiner in the DR...Anyone know if you can?

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Image is everything

I spoke to one of the businessmen responsible for this plan and they are aware they will never defeat Presidente for the nations #1 beer but perhaps steal a few customers that are looking for something different and are willing and able to pay for it.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I love Bud "The king of beers"

...drink it all the time at 50 cents a can its great. That being said it will be heavily taxed just like anything imported and it will probably be comparibly priced to Pres once that happens. If in fact it is a license deal and it ends up being produced in DR like Heineken why drink it anyway?

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Re: I love Bud "The king of beers"

Mcinbrass said:
...drink it all the time at 50 cents a can its great. That being said it will be heavily taxed just like anything imported and it will probably be comparibly priced to Pres once that happens. If in fact it is a license deal and it ends up being produced in DR like Heineken why drink it anyway?

you are soooo right!!!, case closed.

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
jazzcom said:
I went to a pub in London and all these "SHARP" Brits belly up to the bar and order Bud! I couldn't believe it but it's true. It will do well in the DR also!

- probably one of those pubs in earls court (or close by). if that's the case i wouldn't have described them as "sharp". "fruity" is probably a better description. the other possibility is that it was a pub full of kids pretending to be over 18, they can drink a lot of the stuff without the fear of getting drunk.

- budweiser, if it stays, may do marginally better than miller - that other popular soft drink.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Maybe it's an attempt at luring more American tourists, as it's the #1 brand in US. (AB) I'd rather have Presidente anytime, to many Buds = massive headache.