Which is the best currency to take?

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Hello

all set for my honeymoon in August...

I was wondering if someone could please help me find out whether i should have to take US dollars or take British pounds to exchange into dom pesos?

Can you use US Dollars in the DR? And as I am staying in an All Inclusive how much do you reckon i should take for trinkets......excursions etc??

Thanks For your help!

Paul

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bring US $ travellers cheques & only change as much as you need at any one time (to last you a day or two) as the RD peso is devaluing daily against the US $!! How much to bring??? As much as you can afford - We need the money over here!!!!

Seriously, staying at an all inclusive, you won't need much for drimks & food (unless you get out to meet the locals which is what we all recommend). How many Trinkets are you wanting to buy? How much Rum, cigarettes, cigars, mamajuana do you want to take back?? How many trips do you want to go on??

Average cost per trip is probably US $60 per person. Jeep safari is worth doing whether you are going North or South of the island. TRY to buy in the local plaza rather than through the tour company, I think you will find it cheaper (& YES, they ARE covered by insurance!!). - Grahame.

jcrian

Jan 9, 2003
We changed pounds into dollars in the UK. Big mistake. You only need $10 each to get out of the country(departure tax).No point changing money twice to get Pesos.
Found there was no problem changing sterling.Better to change it out of the tourist spots as the rate isn't very good.We were staying in Puerto Plata and found that we got 25% more changing our money in Sosua.

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Thanks very much for the info....I am getting really excited now and cannot wait for our honeymoon....I do hope it is as beautifull as i hear it is out there :)

Paul