?Hay alguien? Suggestions please about lodging

pamela1

May 21, 2003
I am coming over to the Dominican Republic for the months of July and August. Now, I am not coming over with hotel reservations made and I really don't have the means ($) to stay at a hotel. I am going to try to teach for these months there because where I live there aren't so many students who want to study English during the summer. So my question is: Are there hostals or "pensiones" or something as a more economical alternative to the hotels? If so, are they only in Santo Domingo?
I would any type of suggestion or answer.
Thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where do you plan to teach? If we know where you will be, it will be easier to suggest places where you might stay. Also, is US$15-20 too much for a night on your budget?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It really depends where you want to be based, but wherever you go it should be possible to live as a lodger with a Dominican family. There are small B&B type hotels here and there but not everywhere. For example I lived in Cotu? for 6 months and there was one decent place but it was out of town and too expensive for a long term stay, and the places in town were of the cockroach and condom variety. This may have changed BTW as I am talking about 4 years ago. So I ended up renting a small apartment and it all worked out very well. But you really need to be more specific if you want people to be able to give you useful tips.

Chiri

pamela1

May 21, 2003
Thanks for the response

What a quick response. I really can't give you any more information about where I will be working. I think it will have to be near the center where the businesses are. I have to go there in person to talk to the people in the laguage academies because I sent them CVs and they were really relaxed about giving me any kind of response so I decided I will go there in person. I am accustomed to that anyway. I would like to work in a company like Berlitz. I would like to pay less than $15 a night if possible. I am not going there to live in luxury so if they place isn't as clean as others I can live with it for a couple of months. I wouldn't like anything in a slum obviously but I am not too worried about that being the case.
Would you happen to know how would I find a family that would being willing to rent me a room?
Maybe in the classifieds in the local paper or through word of mouth? Is this option common? Is it safe? Would they need references to know I am someone thay can trust to be in their house?
Ok, tons of questions. Whenever you have a chance. Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I gather you are talking about Santo Domingo. Now perhaps some of the posters on this board could help you. I will ask around about family stays. Some language schools organise this for their students so they should be able to do the same for a short-term teacher.

Also there are OK places in the Zona Colonial that rent rooms: e.g. Calle Sanchez casi esq Padre Billini (next door to the falafel place and S-Bar) and another on Mercedes esq Hostos. You could do worse.

Chiri

pamela1

May 21, 2003
GOOD TO KNOW

Thanks for the reply and the input. So far I have written everything down and I have read many of the messages posted here. This sight is a lot more useful than the books I have looked at and the other sights on internet only because they are directed to the people who want to stay somewhere nice and relax and have the money to do so; which is half of Spain.
I look forward to any more info you could provide me with.
Pamela

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Theres a few aparthotels I know of. Probably best then you can have a kitchen. About 1 year ago I knew one was about $6000 a month. But don't know now. If you want I can give you the numbers of the places and you can call and check. Alos Bettys has hostile type living and it may be cheep. Let me know and I'll collect the info.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Pamela i can recomend a few Aparta Hoteles in Santo Domingo City they are worth the money no power outages, A/C 24-7 kitchen and all the goodies for about $400.00 to $600.00 A month, let me know if you want more information.

ERICKXSON
(Miami is wet again)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Hi how are you? well here is my number one choice APARTA-HOTEL PLAZA
DEL SOL (809) 686-2614 FX (809) 686-0787
Address: Avenida Jose' Contreras # 25-A Santo Domingo, Dominican
Republic.

The place has a nice little lobby with an elevator to the rooms if i'm
not mistaken it has like 5 floors or so very clean the people at the
front desk are super curtious, make sure you make your reservations now
otherwise you will be left out remember the Panamerican Games are held
in the D.R. this year and is going to be super packed i think more than
a few million extra tourists will be there between July and August.

My second Choice is City APARTA-HOTEL which is located a couple of
blocks away from PLAZA DEL SOL: (809) 682-6205 (809) 688-3466
Avenida Jose Contreras # 28 Santo Domingo Dominican Republic
Aparta Hotel City has big rooms the price is alittle more but worth it
not elevators is alittle bit unconfortable i don't like their stairs,
both of the properties are very clean well maintain (BUT I STILL PREFFER
THE FIRST ONE).

be safe and have a nice trip
FELIX ERICKXSON