marrying a dominican would like more info..please help

calalo33

May 25, 2003
Help!!
Im PLANMNING ON MARRYING MY DOMINICAN BOYFRIEND SO HE CAN COME TO ENGLAND FOR THE BIRTH OF OUR FIRST CHILD...HE HAS TOLD ME WE WILL MARRY IN PUERTO PLATA AND THEN TRAVEL TO SANTO DOMINGO TO SORT OUT THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR HIS TRAVEL VISAS ETC BUT IM PRETTY SURE THAT THINGS DONT RUN THAT SMOOTHLY IN THE DOM REP AS I DID SPEND 6MONTHS THERE MYSELF. COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH SOME INFORMATION ABOUT THIS?? ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ... HOW SOON AFTER THE MARRIAGE IS HE INTITLED TO THE VISAS??? HOW MUCH WILL RECIDENCY COSY FOR MYSELF FOR THE DOM REP AFTER I HAVE MARRIED A DOMINICAN CITIZEN?? PLEASE ANY INFO WILL BE GREAT
Calala33

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Does your boyfriend have a Dominican passport? If not, I would think that he should get that as soon as possible. As far as his chances of getting permission to go to England, and the time it takes to get such permission, that is controlled by England. You should be checking on that with the British equivalent of the US Department of State. Additionally, if your boyfriend is in Puerto Plata, he can talk with the British Consulate there. Tel. 586-4244.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
My two cents

I know nothing of British immigration but I am currently in visa process for my fiancee and son. I am from the US and for the US it is a longer and more difficult process to marry in the DR and then try bringing them back to the US. I would check into that if I were you. It will be a year or so just to have them in the US.
dale7(Howard)

calalo33

May 25, 2003
am i right in thinking i do have to travel to santo domingo for the visa?? and have you any idea how long the process takes to go through, requirements and costs etc??? thankyou for your help.Ria

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Dominican wife and I were Married in the DR

We went to the American Consulate with our marrige certificate,an authorized translation,she got a 10 year visa at 3 pm the sameday,been there twice,once by herself! No Problem!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccolon

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Raining on your parade....

You poor thing! It's gonna be an uphill struggle all the way!
Firstly, it's not a foregone conclusion that your intended will actually get a visa for the UK! My wife used to work for the Foreign Office all over the world, Japan, Sweden, Sudan, Bangladesh, Sri lanka, etc. and visas were not easy, but since then the rules keep changing on immigration! Unfortunately UK is getting full of people who are granted visas and then skip 'bail' - and as we don't have stop and search rules for the policeman on the streets, the illegals simply live an ordinary life providing they don't commit a crime. And then they get found out and deported - a case of the many creating an ongoing problem for the even more many!! Hence the strict visa issue and entry rules!
If you do manage to get a visa for him then it will generally only be for a short stay and then you will have to start the process all over again, in the UK, to make it possible for him to stay - married or not! Then if you are married he has to be resident in the UK for 5 years before he can get a suitable visa/stay permit to be there and freely travel backwards and forwards. Marriage to a Brit does not constitute the right to reside in UK I'm afraid.
I do hope that you've thought this out and will take advice from someone in the British Consul or the Embassy who is more up to date with the rules than we are.
A friend of ours recently married a Philipina in Dubai, all legal etc., and then retired to UK and he had one helluva problem with the paperwork. Even today he's having difficulty getting a definitive answer on whether she can safely leave UK to visit us in the DR and then safely get back into UK??!!!
Anyway, good luck to you but you will need to do your homework and expect lots of red tape.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of us are biting out tongues at this person anyway

You will be going through enough hells when you get married....
How many children does he already have? Can he read and write?

HB, curmudgeon

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
calalo,
It is not easy to get a Dominican in the US or Canada and I am sure it is very similar to the UK . Very, very long time. Usually a year give or take a couple of months, they don't care if you are going to have a baby or not. If you met him at a resort, for heaven's sake, don't marry him. I have seen men preying on tourists and then when they leave have a new one within a couple of days. I am not saying this is the case and I hope your pregnancy is going all right, and I wish you the best but at least you are lucky not to have gotten a sexually transmitted disease. It sounds like I am judging the man harshly and I am, what in the hell does he have to offer you? Does he really love you? How do you know he is being faithful? If you met this man at a resort, cut your losses and raise the child yourself it will save you hurt in the long run. If he really is a decent man then make him do some work to show his love and devotion, give you support financially, etc or offer to move down there and see what he says. It pisses me off to see all these stories of women being played and I hope to God you aren't being played. You have to think of what is best for the little one and do soul searching and investigating, and then see what develops, please don't be hasty.
dale7(Howard)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dale: Come on give the girl a break...Aren't you trying to get YOUR dominican girlfriend to the US? Who's to say she's not playing you? Girls are as much or even more of a player than guys are... They will promise you and give anything for a chance at a visa...But no one should judge, because every case is different.
BTW you can get your girlfriend into the US real easily if you plan to marry her. All you need to do is petition for him/her as a fiancee. This type of visa is relatively easy to obtain and pretty quick too. You do have to marry him/her within 6 months of the person being here in the US.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Suarezn

mama didn't raise no fool here. I have had numerous of relationships with women and I can smell a con artist a mile away. I have met several women like that in the DR. I am ruthless, and can manipulate to get what I want, sad but true. Yesenia is a good woman and I LOVE my son, and will grow to love her. It is not so easy to get someone into the US anymore. Have you ever tried to sponsor someone into the US since Sept 11. INS is no more, BCIS is what it is now called and a branch of Homeland Security. Nebraska where everything is processed is backlogged, due to more strict scrutiny and thorough procedures. Those are cold hard facts even with a fiance visa(currently running 7-12months on the US side just to approve them for a visa). VERY FEW can get visas from the DR to visit the US without a sponsorship from a host country. You can ask anyone who is knowledgeable about the subject. Unless you have the money and the connections. On the bright side, if Yesenia can outsmart me, lol, and she gets to the US and does her own thing, she will be heading back to the DR alone without a son in her custody:)

Caola,
I was probably a little harsh but most men are dogs. I am a dog and have lied and manipulated women so that they thought I loved them, did I, he.l no. It is hard to turn over a new leaf, I work on that constantly. I kinda apologize for my statements but I am not going to tell anyone something that I don't believe. I really do wish you the best and I hope the man is sincere and that you will have a nice, healthy baby.
dale7(Howard)

Last edited:

calalo33

May 25, 2003
i didnt meet him at a resort

i met him about 2year ago
i lived with him at his house for 6months and we r very happy
he is so excited about the baby and he is doin all his work he has got his passport etc just not the visa we r both doin work on this t try and make it easier so its really not the same stories as most ...(thankgod)
i appreciate your comments but i dont need them. i will continue to search just as hard as he is.
i canme home from the dominican 4weeks ago and i am returning in a few more weeks
i spent 13months out there this round and i do believe im doing the right thing.

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Mr. Dale7 and Ms. Suarezn

Please don't hijack this thread. Dale, we've heard enough about your trials and tribulations of fatherhood (talk about an all-inclusive vacation...whew!). Why don't the two of you start a different thread like "Being a halfway father, halfway around the world". I'll jump in there and contribute my thoughts.

Ms. Calala(o), there is a consulate in Puerto Plata and an embassy in Sto. Dgo. I'd make a local phone call before I travelled. They can probably do it right there in PP. The forms are available on-line. It will certainly be a great learning experience for you when he fills out that form. Bottom line is that he can get a visitors visa if he has the means to support and return himself. If not, then you need to apply as a fiance/spouse...and demonstrate that the two of you can sustain without public funds. Pretty simple, I'd say, unless someone's got a few ghosts in the closet.

Just remember, you are now with child. Be very careful about your next choice, since it will affect you and your child for the rest of your life (for instance, if he's a mad bastard and wants to take your kid if you don't "work out") If your love is unable to gain clearance, then you have your first clue about life together. If you learn that he's not worthy, it's not the end of the world. You're young and should find a man that loves you as you are, regardless of the circumstance (those, too, are the men who come along and take care of the "oops" of the American Gigolos and Sankis of the world). Don't be a meal ticket or a door mat. You're gonna need all the energy, self-esteem, and $$$ you can get...real soon here. Best of luck to you and the wee-one.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
wow, dale has serious problems. really dude, shrink time or something. I'm sure most of us on here dance to our own drummer but man, you are out there.

as to the post itself. Immigration after marriage is simple. Whether US, UK, Canada or most others it involves some paperwork, some promises on your part, a medical exam, and a little patience. It is virtually impossible for you to be turned down. Cost in total will be well under $2k if you do it yourself. Just get the ball rolling and don't worry about it. It is NOT a difficult thing to get through.

If you really don't know where to start call a lawyer and have him outline the services he will perform for you. Then decide if he is worth it, either way you will have learned a great deal.

Good Luck.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The friends need to have a visa to enter the US, and to get that is very difficult, especiallly if there is no compelling reason for the friends to return to the DR. It used to be easier, but too many Dominicans failed to return at the end of the visa. Now it is very, very difficult to get the visa, Better you go to the DR to visit them.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Re: Mr. Dale7 and Ms. Suarezn

bobnoxious said:
Please don't hijack this thread. Dale, we've heard enough about your trials and tribulations of fatherhood (talk about an all-inclusive vacation...whew!). Why don't the two of you start a different thread like "Being a halfway father, halfway around the world". I'll jump in there and contribute my thoughts.

Bob: First off is Mr. Suarez not Ms.
Second, where are we trying to hijack this thread? What both dale and I posted was very related to this thread and how you can get your significant to the US, Canada, UK, etc...
Third, you chose a very appropriate handle...You really are obnoxious!