Bringing in a laptop

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
I've searched the archives, and there's not really too much.
My question,

"Are there any obvious pitfalls I should be aware of in bringing in a laptop that I will drop off?" I.E. Do I need to declare it on a customs form, etc.

Thanks

La Profesora

Jun 23, 2002
I travel with a laptop all the time. Customs has never questioned it. I think the assumption is that you are a businessperson who will leave with it again.

Hope this helps.

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
I brought in a Compaq workstation last trip. At customs it was set to the side for inspections. I got tired of waiting after a minute and because they were busy so I picked it up and left. Don't know if they wanted to look at it or tax it. That's being proactive?

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
done the same thing - never had a problem.

if it's brand new though, don't keep it in the box. it could be interpreted that you are bringing it in just to sell.
(obvious point to make, and probably applies more to things like mobile phones, but well worth pointing out, just in case.)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bring it in, your fine. I'm sure that they legally cannot charge you tax on this even if it's brand new. Take it through as carry on and you should have no problems.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I always have my laptop as a carry-on if I travel with it -- would never pack it (I don't even trust luggage handlers in the US with it). I never had problems carrying it into the DR (nor anywhere else in Latin America, for that matter). I was asked about it in the DR only once. A customs officer at SDQ pointed to the case and asked in Spanish "A computer?" and I answered in Spanish, "I'm a writer. It goes everywhere I go." He just nodded and I kept going....
Regards,
Keith

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
hi, I entered several times with a laptop and customs never say anything, always carrying it in a laptop computer bag.

but.. dont pass it through the metal detector!!!

regards :)