Hi Everyone

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Hi I'm a new member to the DR1 forum. My name's Paul and I live just outside London (UK) with my Dominican wife 'Daysi' and 2 children 'Ana 6yrs' and 'George 4yrs'. I'll introduce myself with a brief summary of my DR experiences. Don't all fall off to sleep at once.

I first visited the DR in January 1995 with my sister. It was an ALL INC at the Montemar hotel in POP. This was where I met my wife who was working in the Salon. It took me a few days to persuade her it was ok to date a guest and we met at a night-club on the malecon. I was smitten immediately. She was very worried that she'd get the sack if the hotel manager found out so I had to refrain from hanging around her at the hotel looking like a love-sick puppy.

At the end of the 2 weeks it was 'buckets of tears' time. I went back to London, and booked another 2 weeks at the Montemar immediately. I flew back 2 weeks later, again with my sis and we stunned everyone as we strolled into reception. This next 2 weeks for me were marvellous. I spent all day soaking up the sun around the pool and as soon as Daysi was finished in the salon I dashed out to meet her. During this time I met a lot of her friends and discovered that generally the Dominican people are really quite special. She came from a poor family but they would put on a spread when you visited that was beyond belief. It was a culture shock to meet people so kind and happy with their lot in life.

The end of the holiday found us doing an all night stint at 'La Barika' night club, where it's so dark you tend to spend a lot of time crashing into tables and knocking drinks over. The merenge favourites had us both in tears again at the prospect of being apart.

Well this time when I got home, it was all of 6 weeks before I managed to get back again. Another ALL INC, this time at Playa Dorada, Playa Naco hotel. Don't get me wrong I'm in no way loaded, I just piled it all onto the old Visa card.

When I visited the Montemar for the 3rd time in 2 months the staff were convinced I was either a millionaire or completely mad.

This 3rd holiday I actually spent at Daysi's appartment just off of Avenida Cincumbalacion by Scarletts Farmancia.

By the way this was where a good friend of mine lived. His name is Alberto Reyes. He was working on the Jet-ski's on Playa Dorada beach at that time. I'm sorry to say when I went back last year he had moved. I was told he was working for Sea-Pro as a diving instructor at Sosua. Anyone know him ?

Don't worry I'm nearly finished. I decided to come back to England, pack up work and come back to DR to live. I actually came back in the beginning of Sept 95. Daysi & me got wed in October in Santo Domingo. I wanted to get a watersports company going but hit all sorts of problems, mainly getting the jet-skis out of customs. I called it a day and we both moved back to the UK just before Christmas 95.

Since then we have settled down and have 2 lovely kids. They both look like angels but have the most ferocious latin tempers.

We have bought a place in Santo Domingo which we let out. Daysi's family are all based around the capital. We've been back three times over the last 7 years, not nearly enough.

I love the country with a passion. We intend, if all goes to plan, to move back to DR in 5 years time. I know it means taking the kids out of a state funded education into I suppose an expensive private one, but I honestly think they will benefit in the long run from simply living in a country where the family & neighbours are still important. You walk down the street here, and poeple will avoid eye contact with you, in the DR you get a smile and a Hola from most people you pass in the street.

I just hope I can stay sane for the next 5 years thats all.

Well If anyone managed to stay with me all through that lot then I guess you you've got the benefit of sitting on a breeze cooled veranda with an ice cold Presidente to keep you company.

Here's looking forward to my next visit to my real home.

Bye for now.....;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome aboard

Sounds like you were smitten alright. Good for you. Keep working and you'll make it back here.

Good Luck,

HB

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Fed up being Mr Sensible

I read the stuff form all you guys and girls in Dom & get the feeling that you're all where it's at. The pace of life is slow and mellow. I am fed up with being Mr Sensible, going to work in the rush hour and enjoying about 3 days of blue skies a year. BUT I know that if I don't keep my nose to the grindstone then I may never get back there to live, so suppose it's gonna be worth the effort in the long run.

I may as well add that I seem to have married a financial wizzard. She certainly doesn't fit the modern European mould. She comes from a poor background and is the most incredibly generous person I know, but she really knows how to stretch the money. Nothing is blown on wasteful rubbish. As a result I've got savings for the first time in my life and it was her clever financial manouvering that got us the apartment in Santo Domingo.

She puts my Dad on a pedistal almost, him being the head of the family he can do no wrong. I suppose its the old fashioned values that are alive and well in DR that have fallen by the wayside over here a long time ago.

I am often amazed at little things she does that again dont seem the norm here. She had my mum aghast when our first littlun had conjunctivitus and cured it by squirting breast-milk into her eyes.

Another one was when she cooked a meal for the bloke next door but one, and took it round to him, the day after he had suggested she go back to her own country. He was gob-smacked and I think it actually made him realise what kind of person he was. He's been a lot nicer since.

Well I better get on with some work, don't you jus love night-shifts ?

Seeya

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Now I know you have a winner

Be interesting on seeing you when you come this way. Be sure to let us have a lot of lead time..

HB