Security

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
My husband and I bought a house in Sousua in February. We bought through Dean Brown of Century 21, and the entire process was a pleasure; I highly recommend Dean as an agent, he's amazing. The house closes at the end of June, then we're having some renovations done and we plan on moving down to the beautiful DR in September. Our new home is not in a gated community, it's waterfront. The house has a high electric gate and is walled and we're planning on hiring a night guard for security. I woud appreciate any opinions on whether this security is adequate and if not, are there any recommendations on how to improve it. We have two dogs but they are definitely not guard dogs; one is 14 years old and half deaf and the second is a Jack Russell Terrier, who is quite territorial but the most damage she can do is jump up and bit an intruders knee cap!!

Thanks in advance, for any advice you can offer!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You definately need someone there 24/7!

If you only have "Night Security" the "bad guys" would soon pay you a "visit" during the day!If there is going to be a "maid" there during the day,she can't make it a daily "habit" to go home for 3 hours to cook for her own family an have a "siesta"everyday when you are not there! People watch to see when there is no one at home.Sunday afternoon is a high crime time.They know who goes to visit their mother every Sunday!I don't want to scare you,but "Forewarned is Forearmed"! I have 3 "Junkyard Dogs",they keep everyone out!Cris ColonCris Colon

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
I have read through a huge amount of posts here over the last few days. I simply cannot reconcile this post with most of the other information.

Many of you state that you feel safe in the DR. Now you state that having a dog, an electric gate and a night watchman is not enough security? Are you truly serious that you cannot have a house without it being virtually guarnateed to be broken in to? No night watchman means someone WILL break in to your house at night?

I don't know what to believe because this just does not add up with most of the other posts here where people are claiming this is a realtively low crime place.

Help me understand!

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
i hope it is a joke but...

For a board meant to supply information it is pretty stupid. I've seen another thread where the person mentioned something similar to this point.

Anyone reading the post for information may not know this. If five people all agree, it looks for real. Posting like that is doing the board a disservice IMHO.

But thanks for letting me in on it anyway.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I feel completely safe walking the streets dressed well with a stack of hundred dollar bills in my pocket at 3 am in the morning.

Everyplace has a night watchman! Only costs 100 bux a month and why take a chance on someone breaking into your home and stealing what you have. Few crimes against people but theft isn't out of the question.

Hope this helps. Everyone I know has a night watchman and every hotel, condo complex and every business.