Sosua Park Project Begins

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Starz Resorts, owners of the new Sosua Bay Club and Victorian House hotels in Sosua, has taken responsibility for Sosua's Central Park. There is a plan for the improvement of the park, which a local restaurant owner who is familiar with it told me was a great thing for Sosua. The plan is to make the park an asset for the hotel as well as the larger community. It is hoped that the park with then spark a much-needed improvement in the appearance of the town.

Today a wall is being constructed around the park like that put around any major construction/renovation project.

I'll be watching with great interest what happens inside the wall. Will provide updated reports as work proceeds, or as I get more information about the plan for the park.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For your info, a large, multi-colored architect's rendition of the remodeled central park is posted on the wall next to the taxi stand.

Hopefully this project will turn out to be good for Sosua and will stimulate a rebirth of the town.

But I do have some concerns, mainly that Starz Resorts alread has a lot on its plate. What it has completed is excellent, and what is partially completed is likely to be, too. But there is a lot yet uncompleted, including a major part of the larger hotel and the plaza leading to the beach.

As it is at present, little use is made of the park, but it is not an eye sore. Those old, spread-out trees are eye catching. I very much hope they don't start cutting down some of those trees and tearing up the park, then go on to something else before the park is completed.

I will be following the project with great interest and will post new bulletins as the project develops.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - i love that park. The "horizontal" trees are beautiful. Doug figured the park gets working women action at night though. ha!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JanH, it won't be the same when the project is completed. Fewer trees and much more open. Doug will have to look elsewhere for "entertainment" while you are playing golf.

Work is starting today. They are knocking down the arch at the entrance off the street leading to the new hotel. Looks like this is where they will be bringing in the heavy equipment that will be involved in the project.