ERRORS IN FAQ HEALTH SECTION

E

ECH, M.D.

Some US doctors have recommended getting a diptheria/tetanus booster, if you have not had one within the past 10 years. Physicians consulted by the DR1 say it is an unnecessary precaution. Diptheria does not affect Dominicans and in the unlikely happening that you may step on a nail, all you will need is a penicillin shot, or substitute if you are allergic to penicillin.

THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH IS COPIED FROM YOUR FAQ SECTION OF DR-1 PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DOMINICAN PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDED A PENICILLIN SHOT IF ONE STEPS ON A NAIL. HE SHOULD BE AVOIDED LIKE THE PLAGUE. PENICILLIN DOES NOT PREVENT TETANUS. I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MAKES DOMINICANS IMMUNE TO DIPHTHERIA.LARGE OUTBREAKS HAVE OCCURRED IN BOTH TEMPERATE AND TROPICAL CLIMATES. WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR INFORMATION???

J

Joan

So tell us... What are your credentials???

Why was you not on the list of doctors if you live in the Dominican Republic? I thought you would have been an obvious choice as you seem to be a such an expert! What sort of doctor are you? Just curious, may need you when I get to the DR in July.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: So tell us... What are your credentials???

CREDENTIALS:

B.S. degree University of Kentucky M.D. degree University of Lousiville Internship University of Louisville Medical Center Hospitals General Surgery training U of L Urology (3 years) U of L Fellowship Spinal Cord Injury and Neurogenic Bladder dysfunction Long Beach California V.A. Medical Center (2 years) Flight Surgeon U.S. Air Force (Vietnam) Chairman Floyd Country Board of Health (Kentucky) Chief of Urology Highlands Regional Medical Center (Kentucky) Chief of Surgery Inland Valley Regional Medical Center (California) Chief of Staff Inland Valley Regional Medical Center (California)

I will omit my list of publications with the exception to say I wrote the section in Dolores Viscioso's book "Santo Domingo Living" on Medical Education in the Dominican Republic.

I am currently retired after 35 years of active practice and find time to teach at a local university medical school in Santo Domingo. I enjoy the Caribbean climate and lifestyle.

If this does not qualify me to make the comments that I made, I am sorry.

ERNEST C. HOLBROOK, M.D. FACS (Fellow, American College of Surgeons)

R

Robert Fraser Md

I am an internist from Massachusetts who has been to the Dominican Republic the past several years. I was very interested in the DR One's Health FAQs. There are several comments I would like to make. 1) I agree completely that the hot sun is the most common health hazard for tourists. 2) Drinking large amounts of bottled water ; not alcoholic beverages is imperative. I do feel the discussion about water sounds a little too "defensive" I would just say that the water is not potable; use bottled water and leave it at that. 3) The discussion on traveler's diarrhea is well done. The debate over Pepto Bismol still rages in this country. I would usually recommend antibiotics after one day of severe diarrhea but that is an area where physicians always disagree. I agree with not using Imodium or Lomotil (please note; Lomotil is not banned in the US. It just requires a prescription.

I agree that malaria prophylaxis is not needed for tourists in the major resorts, but I still follow the CDC recommendations for malaria prophylaxis in the rural areas.

I agree with Dr. Holbrook. I take great exception to the discussion regarding vaccinations. We American doctors recommend diphtheria tetanus boosters to all our patients every ten years. We are both worried about diphtheria which can strike at any time but most importantly the very slight but real threat of tetanus which I believe is endemic all over the world. No amount of penicillin or erythromycin will treat that!!!!! I would urge you to please not state that a diphtheria/ tetanus shot is an unnecessary precaution!

D

DMX

Re: So tell us... What are your credentials???

Dr. Holbrook, Please contact me via Email - danmax5@aol.com I would like to discuss physician opportunities in the Dominican Republic with you.

Thank you

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: So tell us... What are your credentials? DMX??

As stated in my c.v. I am retired and not engaged in active practice and therefore can not comment on practice opportunities in the DR at this time. Sorry.

D

D. Dinet

My family an I are taking a vacation in july to the dr... are there any shots that we should know about that we should have before we leave? What about the fever carried by mosqui. called dengue fever.

E

ECH, M.D.

Check with your County or State Public Health Physician they are the best source and have to most current up-to-date information regarding possible health problems in areas where you wish to travel.