SANTO DOMINGO to PUERTO PLATA

nashville dude

May 27, 2003
How far? How much? what is the best way to go? Maybe a night in Santiago too. Any info would be helpful... It is almost 200 buch cheaper to fly into SDQ than POP. Hell, I'll take in both cities.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours buses leave hourly from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata, stopping in Santiago. You could buy a ticket to Santiago, then go to Puerto Plata when you are ready. Bus far from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata is about RD$140.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The best decision...

...you could make is to take that trip from SDQ to POP by bus!

The scenery is beautiful!!! I have made the trip three times already, on Metro Tours, this time they charged $130 to POP.

But you could buy a ticket to Santiago, stop over and then take another bus for a few more pesos into POP.

You'll really enjoy it!

Have fun!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Who cares?

No, really...into Santiago it's about 2 1/2 -3 hours... and then maybe another hour or so into POP...

But it's worth it!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I prefer Caribe Tours over Metro because CT runs more buses. Also, it goes on to Sosua, if that is of interest, where Metro stops in Puerto Plata.

Caribe Tours buses are airconditioned and comfortable and they show video tapes during the trip.

Buses always leave on schedule.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Either Metro or Caribe Tours

Both run good service to Santiago and Puerto Plata.

Trip was exactly 2 hours last Monday (SDQ-STI) But it took 40 minutes to get to the toll plaza! (5 p.m. traffic.)

If you are going to spend a night or afternoon evening in Santiago you must get in touch with AZB, our local pim....errrr guide to the night life....Anyway he knows his way around town.

I can show you the main parts of the town and share a beer with you, but I am obliged to be at home shortly after sundown...

HB

Edited to add: If you decide to stop over in Santiago, and take Caribe Tours, rather than Metro (I prefer Metro), be sure to get off at the first stop in Santiago, since the main terminal is way the heck on the other side of town....

Last edited: