Pets

R

Ron Cramer

I have a question about Pets, no not the Penthouse variety. I'm considering a move to the DR, I would like info about bringing pets,(dogs, cats,etc.) into the country from the states. Thanks..

R

Richard

Ron, When I moved to the D.R. in 1991 I brought my purebred german shepherd with me. There was no problem when I arrived at Puerto Plata airport. I had been told to make sure he had had all his shots which I did, and he went through customs with no problem. Just to be sure, Since times may have changed, and if you're going to the Sosua area, you might contact Dr. Bob Amlingmeier, an American vet who lives just outside Sosua. His phone number is (809) 571-2286

D

DR One

Request a certification from your vet that your dog has been vaccinated for the current period for rabies and distemper. At the airport in the DR you must ask for the animal control person (Sanidad Animal) in the customs area. They will examine the paper the vet gave you and fill out an official entry form or permission, for which you must pay RD$100 (about US$6). Note you will have to make a special reservation for the animal to board with you and the travel cage will count as carry-on luggage and should fit under the seat. The airline will most likely charge you a fee for carrying the dog.

If you are considering moving to the DR you should purchase the Living in Santo Domingo book available on this site. It is full of helpful information that will save you money and time during the adaptation process.